Author Topic: Eldo Dyno results  (Read 8492 times)

canuck750

Eldo Dyno results
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
I dropped my 72 Eldorado off at a shop in the fall with the typical 'no rush , get to it when you can', got the call today it's all done. I asked for the bike to be tuned on the dyno and get it running as good as possible. Some notes, all stock set up, fully rebuilt drive line with stock Giladorni kits, rebuilt heads, stock cam etc... The bike ran good all last year but was hard to start when hot.

Interesting call a couple weeks back telling me the left throttle cable (from splitter to carb ) was a wee bit too short. The cables where new but I dropped off a second set of new ones, same lengths. The splitter was pulled apart, everything checked and re-checked but still the left cable was too short. The shop got new cables made up to a custom length and this apparently solved a lot of the issues, the slide dropped down as it should and fine tuning was possible. The bike apparently runs and starts beautifully hot or cold.

Dyno results are 38 HP and 40 foot lbs of torque, a far cry from the published hp figures for a 850 Eldo. I have about 2500 miles on the rebuilt drive line so there may be a little bit of breaking in left but 38hp is likely the limit.

Can't wait for spring.

As a comparison my 73 V7 Sport with only 200 miles on it, compression has not yet come up, was originally 37 hp and rose up to 46 after tuning. I hope to see this get to at least 50 hp by the summer after the rings have bedded in.

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
Re: Eldo Dyno results
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »
My former Eldo with a Ambo rear end (lower gearing) would walk away from my 2007 CalVin on a long stretch. I finally picked up another Eldo but weather sucks and needs some carb attention,smells very rich so haven't got to ride her, my parking lot is a entire sheet if ice!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
My former Eldo with a Ambo rear end (lower gearing)...

Ambassador rear end actually has higher gearing - 4.375 vs. 4.625 for the Eldo.
Charlie

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »
My seat of the pants dyno puts my well-tuned (thanks Charlie) V7 Sport at around 50 hp - same as my V7 Special small block (100 lbs lighter).  Hoping for more when I thrash the new-to-me 850 LeMans.  I'll report back when I ass-dyno it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:36:01 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »
Ambassador rear end actually has higher gearing - 4.375 vs. 4.625 for the Eldo.

Thanks for the info, I was told the other way around and just assumed it was true. Knowing that changed my theory as to why it ran so well. And I won't be passing along bullshit.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Cheese

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:07:39 AM »
I dropped my 72 Eldorado off at a shop in the fall with the typical 'no rush , get to it when you can', got the call today it's all done. I asked for the bike to be tuned on the dyno and get it running as good as possible. Some notes, all stock set up, fully rebuilt drive line with stock Giladorni kits, rebuilt heads, stock cam etc... The bike ran good all last year but was hard to start when hot.

Interesting call a couple weeks back telling me the left throttle cable (from splitter to carb ) was a wee bit too short. The cables where new but I dropped off a second set of new ones, same lengths. The splitter was pulled apart, everything checked and re-checked but still the left cable was too short. The shop got new cables made up to a custom length and this apparently solved a lot of the issues, the slide dropped down as it should and fine tuning was possible. The bike apparently runs and starts beautifully hot or cold.

Dyno results are 38 HP and 40 foot lbs of torque, a far cry from the published hp figures for a 850 Eldo. I have about 2500 miles on the rebuilt drive line so there may be a little bit of breaking in left but 38hp is likely the limit.

Can't wait for spring.

As a comparison my 73 V7 Sport with only 200 miles on it, compression has not yet come up, was originally 37 hp and rose up to 46 after tuning. I hope to see this get to at least 50 hp by the summer after the rings have bedded in.

What's the difference between an Eldo and V7 Sport engine? V7Sport has smaller bore and stroke, crank mounted alt...this gets another 12hp? I think they'd be closer in ultimate output after break-in and tuning based on basic engine designs being so similar. What do you think?

canuck750

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:43 AM »
Could be the carbs, VHB29 vs VHB30, the cam, higher compression, maybe the dual point ignition produces a better spark?? My Sport has a single plate clutch that is a lot lighter than stock, maybe the weight reduction contributes, can't say with ant certainty why one makes much more power than the other.

Cheese

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
Could be the carbs, VHB29 vs VHB30, the cam, higher compression, maybe the dual point ignition produces a better spark?? My Sport has a single plate clutch that is a lot lighter than stock, maybe the weight reduction contributes, can't say with ant certainty why one makes much more power than the other.

You are probably correct. Perhaps "adequate" is the best statement of performance?

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:09:09 AM »
I had my Ambo at a Dyno day at a local Guzzi dealer.  For $20.00 I thought "what the hell" let's see what the old girl has in her.  40/40 across the board.  The Dyno guy said it was the flattest torque curve he's seen.  After seeing sport bike after sport bike getting run....The crowd loved it.   ;-T
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
My  73 Eldo is just breaking in nicely . It's a total rebuild by Geodoc who is on this site . When on the dyno the bike came up to 48 hp at the rear wheel . The bike is a stock 850 cc except for 36m carbs and a B10 cam . The torque and speed increase after 1000 miles and break in is impressive although top end seems a bit sluggish as have to push it to get over 85 mph . Probably going to take it back for another dyno and play around with the jetting , change some needles and see what happens . Many followers here have no problem getting their Eldos to top a ton . Summer will be here soon and we'll be ready !
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »
You guys are sure making it tough to not go out and find myself a Loop...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
What's the difference between an Eldo and V7 Sport engine? V7Sport has smaller bore and stroke, crank mounted alt...this gets another 12hp? I think they'd be closer in ultimate output after break-in and tuning based on basic engine designs being so similar. What do you think?

The V7 Sport has a better breathing engine making maximum power at a higher RPM. Higher RPM means higher horsepower.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
You guys are sure making it tough to not go out and find myself a Loop...

Go for it ! I just culled the herd , sold my Norton and 850 T but would not part with the Eldo . I think its the one bike I could still ride if I get to my eighties .
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »
My  73 Eldo is just breaking in nicely . It's a total rebuild by Geodoc who is on this site . When on the dyno the bike came up to 48 hp at the rear wheel . The bike is a stock 850 cc except for 36m carbs and a B10 cam . The torque and speed increase after 1000 miles and break in is impressive although top end seems a bit sluggish as have to push it to get over 85 mph . Probably going to take it back for another dyno and play around with the jetting , change some needles and see what happens . Many followers here have no problem getting their Eldos to top a ton . Summer will be here soon and we'll be ready !

If it's not fast enough for you, Steve, you could get a Stelvio...  :BEER:

Shaun 
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline harrytief

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 07:10:33 PM »
Or you could sell it to me!

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 07:18:26 PM »
If it's not fast enough for you, Steve, you could get a Stelvio...  :BEER:

Shaun 

Looking forward to a fast ride on it . Less than 24 hours to lift off .  ;-T I'll let you know how Beetles mapping worked out .

Steve
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 08:36:39 PM »
Are Eldos an acquired taste? Why I ask this is that I have had a T-3 since 1989 and I have a 2011 Norge and love them both. Some years back I was able to ride a well sorted and nice overall Eldo for about 70 miles. To be honest I was quite happy to be to the destination and off the Eldo. It just seemed weird to me, kind of hard to explain. The egros, the ride and handling were just not my thing I guess. The motor was nice and smooth however. YMMV.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:51 PM »
Are Eldos an acquired taste? Why I ask this is that I have had a T-3 since 1989 and I have a 2011 Norge and love them both. Some years back I was able to ride a well sorted and nice overall Eldo for about 70 miles. To be honest I was quite happy to be to the destination and off the Eldo. It just seemed weird to me, kind of hard to explain. The egros, the ride and handling were just not my thing I guess. The motor was nice and smooth however. YMMV.
GliderJohn

Definitely something to what you say . I think I'll like it better with a windscreen and I like the fact my knees are a long way from those jugs unlike the 850 T I had for a while . Too long legged for it . Certainly many more comfortable and better handling guzzis out there . Maybe one of those big skunk seats will help along with a windscreen .
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
I think it might be something of an acquired taste,  particularly for the police bikes with the original handlebar bend (think roto-tiller).  There is truth in what rocky says, too.  With no windshield,  slow rides are nice, but highway runs can be tiring.  I put on a windshield late last season, and it made a tremendous difference for highway cruising.  I'm still experimenting with height and angle, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be a permanent addition. YMMV.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 08:00:39 AM »
To me, loops are a lot like Harleys. Soft comfortable ride, no need to be in a hurry.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 08:20:55 AM »
... Soft comfortable ride, no need to be in a hurry.

Zakly !!

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 10:09:15 AM »
Quote from Chuck:
To me, loops are a lot like Harleys. Soft comfortable ride, no need to be in a hurry.

Guess I am just not mellow enough yet to enjoy that. Now maybe if I move to Colorado.... ;)
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here