Author Topic: Changes to later 5speed Box Output shaft?  (Read 595 times)

Offline kfz

• Gosling
Changes to later 5speed Box Output shaft?
« on: July 31, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »
My Mille GT decided to eat its output shaft oil seal.  On closer examination it looked like the seal wasnt seated fully on the speed drive gear. The gear was to far along the output shaft and the seal was overhanging the speed drive, and had lost its outer lip.  While looking in my LM5/1000s manual it shows the output shaft has THREE washers between 5th gear and the speed drive (not quite sure which side of the bearing they go).

I've never noticed this before and my box seem to only have TWO washers ( a Thick washer and light metal spring shim).  im guessing it should really have THREE and that why the speed drive isnt in the right position.

Anyone know about this.   Can see the difference in the parts diagram here,  Mine appears to be missing part number 33...

EDIT: It an oring not a washer., that makes sense,  I remember now.

Kev

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:17:33 PM by kfz »

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Changes to later 5speed Box Output shaft?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 01:10:13 PM »
Any signs the gearbox had been disassembled before you owned the bike?
1990 MilleGT

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »
Any signs the gearbox had been disassembled before you owned the bike?

Yes by me,  but I cant remember.  Got to pack in this Toilet duck, its doing me no good.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 01:40:58 PM »
Pretty sure the narrow washer, o ring and support washer all are stacked downstream of the layshaft support bearing and the order listed is upstream to downstream

In other words looking from the clutch end rearwards towards the endcase it's narrow washer, O ring, Support (thick) washer. After that its the speedo worm/seal runner

A long time back I made a wee write up on the 5 speed box, when I stripped a LM 1000, if its any help, but as you've been there before its probably not required

John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 01:40:58 PM »

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »
Pretty sure the narrow washer, o ring and support washer all are stacked downstream of the layshaft support bearing and the order listed is upstream to downstream

In other words looking from the clutch end rearwards towards the endcase it's narrow washer, O ring, Support (thick) washer. After that its the speedo worm/seal runner

A long time back I made a wee write up on the 5 speed box, when I stripped a LM 1000, if its any help, but as you've been there before its probably not required

John

John, thanks, I think ive worked it out.  The Oring is missing. not only spacing the speed drive wrong it will not help with the general incontinence.

Kev

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here