Author Topic: NGC Piaggio MP3  (Read 1005 times)

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
NGC Piaggio MP3
« on: June 28, 2021, 07:44:25 AM »
Anyone have or ridden one of these 3 wheel scooters? 250, 400 or 500?
What’s your take on them?
Thanks,
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Re: NGC Piaggio MP3
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 08:18:32 AM »
Have always thought the MP3 would make a great around town / short distance commuter. Chatted up someone at a restaurant riding a 400 who loved it for that kind of use. He also opined that the 250 is only a town bike not capable of highway use and that for him, the 500 would have been overkill.

Wonder how they would handle flat-track duty?

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »
Have always thought the MP3 would make a great around town / short distance commuter. Chatted up someone at a restaurant riding a 400 who loved it for that kind of use. He also opined that the 250 is only a town bike not capable of highway use and that for him, the 500 would have been overkill.

Wonder how they would handle flat-track duty?

There was a Guzzisti from Kingman, AZ, I think named "Arizona-Dave" (??) that rode a MP3 400 several years in a row to the NM Guzzi Rally in Datil.  Does anyone else remember him? 

I also remember he said it rode just fine on the interstate and more.  Cool bike! :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :bow: :wink: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »
Years ago I was with a Triumph/Vespa dealer and we had those 3 wheelers.  They we great fun to ride and the 500 really moved along.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »
I know someone with a 500 and he loves it, but he's in more rural Illinois. That said when we were in Paris years ago, they were all over the place.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Good to know.
It seems the 400, at least, is the way to go for my usage.
I see there is a Gilera and also a Kymco like the MP3.
inditx

inditx

This is the day.....

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 03:35:29 PM »
C'mon now!!  ROAD TRIP to "Euro-Cycle" in Las Vegas!! :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :cool: :boozing: :boozing: :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »
My wife has been riding one for 12 years now and loves it. She got it when she was no longer able to ride her Cal III. We have done many road trips and rallies without her having any trouble keeping up. For her the big plus is the ability to lock the front wheels when parking and roll the machine around with out having to hold it up. Makes for easy mount and dismounting. I use it from time to time for running errands into the city because its so handy for it and a really fun ride.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/y113/GuzziRider/IMGA0011.jpg

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 09:39:53 PM »
Hey JJ, road trip to Vegas is a bit far for me, lol!
Hey MotoG5, what she is your wife MP3?
What kind of maintenance does it require?
Thanks,
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 03:03:12 AM »
Ridden the 400, find they steer a little weird for the first couple of corners after that all good the CVT transmission is obviously not a replacement for a motorcycling experience but as an alternative to something like a canam spider (or however they spell it) or a servi car its a vast improvement and cheaper. Some of them a pretty well appointed as well good wind/weather protection remote release seat (similar to a boot) blue tooth charging points etc etc.

The auto unlock for the steering works well away from the lights just remember if you go back to a more conventional bike to put your feet down when you come to a stop.

Offline Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 06:56:02 AM »
We had a 400.  Wish we never got rid of it.  Super fun to ride, stable at highway speeds when needed.  The 400 is the better pick of the older ones.  The newer ones are a 500cc derived off the BV350 motor iirc.
If you can beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 05:29:48 PM »
Hey JJ, road trip to Vegas is a bit far for me, lol!
Hey MotoG5, what she is your wife MP3?
What kind of maintenance does it require?
Thanks,
inditx
So far it's been just routine maintenance. Oil and filter changes,coolant changes and a set of new tires. Factory manual calls for the drive belt set up be changed every 10k miles but most owners don't do it as they last much longer than that. They just run them until it becomes a problem. 
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 08:29:07 AM »
Any idea how long to change the belt. As I understand it a Suzuki Burgman is so difficult you might as well scrap the bike if you have to pay shop rate.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
Any idea how long to change the belt. As I understand it a Suzuki Burgman is so difficult you might as well scrap the bike if you have to pay shop rate.

From watching a couple of videos I would say its a one day job and not all that complex. Will certainly do it myself when the time comes for the wife's machine. At shoprates I would guess it wouldn't be cheap but not more than the machine is worth.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 02:26:28 PM »
The 1st one I worked on was a learning experience. Start it up and hit the unlock switch, BOOM, right on the floor! Scooter guys were laughing their butt off. I was just straddling the bike not holding on to bars. They are pretty neat, the front end has it's own ECU. Swapping out belts or the rollers not a bad job. Our shop made 2 for the State Police by Hollywood, FL, all the lights, sirens, and doodads.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 02:46:21 PM »
There was a Guzzisti from Kingman, AZ, I think named "Arizona-Dave" (??) that rode a MP3 400 several years in a row to the NM Guzzi Rally in Datil.  Does anyone else remember him? 

I also remember he said it rode just fine on the interstate and more.  Cool bike! :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :bow: :wink: :smiley:

Arizona Wayne aka Randy Dawes.  He hosted the CA National Rally in Grass Valley, CA.  We rode together from Kingman, AZ to the NV State Rally in Dayton, NV. (outside of Carson City)  He has 2 MP3.  A 250 and a 500.  he took the 250 because of the larger storage under the seat.  I was on my SP1000.  He had no problem keeping up with me on the highway and passing other vehicles.  It handled well on the way up to Goldfield and to Tonopah.

I rode his 250 at the National that was in Salina, CO.  It has the power but I'd prefer the 500. 

There are a couple of them out here on the Big Island, if one comes up for sale.  I'll buy one.

Randy is also the one who's quote I use once in awhile to describe the look of a Centauro.  "Pregnant shrimp".   :grin: :grin: :grin:   He suffered a stroke.  I haven't bugged him allowing him some privacy.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
Thanks, Tom, and yes, that's the guy..."Arizona Wayne"

I met him and talked with him several times at the NM Guzzi Rally in Datil. 

I just remembered he rode his MP3 (250 or 500?) from Kingman several times in a row....Said it ran and handled fine.

I hope he is OK these days...
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here