Author Topic: High costs associated with maintaining a BMW motorcycle.  (Read 852 times)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
High costs associated with maintaining a BMW motorcycle.
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:19:47 PM »
Getting ready to perform a 50K service on a Hexhead BMW and have compiled outrageously priced fluids and filters and all the specialty tools

Parts and fluids

ē   5 quarts Mobil-1 15W-50 = $22.37 per 5 quarts only need 4 quarts so $17.89 worth of oil
ē   1-pint SuperTech DOT4 = $2.22
ē   1 liter of SuperTech 75W-90 gear oil (800cc's transmission, 180cc's rear drive) = $8.54
ē   1 Mahale LX983/2 air filter = $17.00
ē   1 HiFlo 164 oil filter = $8.41

Sub Total         $56.04
PA 6% tax        $ 3.24
Total               $59.28
Oil Rebate     -$  8.00

Total = $51.28 is worst case scenario. If the air filter does not need replaced total costs come in at $33.26.

Specialty tools.

Free Mt Dew bottle and a section of poly tubing for a brake fluid catch can
$4 small animal water bottle to make the rear drive easier to refill
8mm combo wrench
10mm combo wrench
Torx sockets
Allen head sockets
Flux brush
0.15mm and 0.30mm feeler gauges
Spark plug socket
Ratchet and extensions

So with $30 - $50 in materials a handful of common hand tools, $15 in beer and an afternoon of tinkering in the garage working on the bike and listening to the radio it'll ready to go.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:20:32 PM by Perazzimx14 »
It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through!

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: High costs associated with maintaining a BMW motorcycle.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
QUOTE:  So with $30 - $50 in materials a handful of common hand tools, $15 in beer and an afternoon of tinkering in the garage working on the bike and listening to the radio it'll ready to go.

If you are doing your own labor, that does not seem to bad at all... :wink: :thumb: :cool:

Take it to the BMW dealer - $125 per hour (or more) for labor and probably even more for the same parts!! :rolleyes: :shocked:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »
I don't think anyone would dispute the cost to change fluids yourself being reasonable. 

I know you are trying to make a point, but what you are presenting could be held true for most bikes, and even better for bikes with hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

People talk about the cost to repair and the frequency of repairs when discussing BMW bikes.

Notice that BMW reduced their warranty from unlimited mileage to 36,000 miles.

Since BMW rates as one of the lowest in reliability I guess it all comes down to whether you get a good one or not regarding cost to own once the warranty is up.
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »
Maintainance kits from Beemer boneyard & adv.web videos .ya should save enough for a couple ďoctoberfest ď cocktails! Now if itís an inline 6Cyl. Sell the least favorite child !

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »
Compared to where I live those prices are quite good.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2020 Triumph Bonneville T120
2019 V7lll Special

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 04:17:36 PM »
Iíve had an Oilhead, 2000R1100RS, for twenty some years. Aside from an expensive clutch replacement, $2200 a few years ago, most of my self administered maintenance has reasonable. I would compare the cost to be similar to doing your own maintenance on a Guzzi.
John
2001 EV California
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline LongRanger

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
Notice that BMW reduced their warranty from unlimited mileage to 36,000 miles.

Since BMW rates as one of the lowest in reliability I guess it all comes down to whether you get a good one or not regarding cost to own once the warranty is up.
The US warranty was changed to 3 years, 36,000 miles in the late Ď90ís. This is not news.

Iím no BMW fanboy, but Iím not sure what facts you are citing to suggest BMW rates as one of the lowest in reliability. Thatís certainly not been my experience (11 different BMWís since 1996, including 134,000 miles on a Ď98 K1200RS with absolutely no issues). Like most bikes, if you keep up with recommended service, they tend to be quite reliable and issue-free. At least recalls are handled promptly and without drama, which is more than we can say for MG.

2012 BMW R1200R Classic
2015 BMW R1200RT

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 07:37:07 AM »
I assumed this was a sarcastic post to point out that it's NOT that expensive. All that seems incredibly reasonable to me.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 08:28:00 AM »
Iíve owned 2 beemers and wouldnít be opposed to possibly owning another. My experience has been mechanically the pretty much bulletproof itís all the fancy electronics that are prone to failure I.e. abs,fuel pump control, esa and power brake assist that are not cheap fixes. Actual maintenance cost to me doesnít vary much from one vehicle to another but maintenance and repairs are 2 separate things. I was a little disappointed in both bikes not because of any shortcomings but because of all the hype my expectations where a little high. As far as handling and comfort theyíre not significantly better or worse than other bikes Iíve owned.
Scuotere sonaglio e rotolare

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »
Price of maintnenace just went up. The old Dunlop Trailsmarts were get a bit long in the tooth. Pulled them to keep for spares and spooned on a set of Michelin Road 5 Trail's.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 09:57:08 AM »
This is an apples v oranges deal comparing an older model with newer ones.  The new Beemers (and many modern bikes) have lots of electronics (performance and information), proprietary diagnostic and updates, and shim valve adjustment.  BMW has had it's share of reliability problems as they have been among the first manufacturers to implement technology and have in many cases ignored customers when these failures occur out of warranty. 

My newest ride is a Ducati, it's been reliable but the maintenance (parts) costs have been pretty high but I knew that going in.  The Desmo valve adjustment is 18k miles.  A new Beemer boxer requires valve adjustment at 12k which also requires cam removal; that's a big pill if the rider wants a long haul tourer. OTOH, a Gold Wing requires no valve adjustment and has a solid record for reliability (there some model years exceptions but Honda did support it's customers).   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 01:06:47 PM »
Well, this is Australian dollars and Iím working from memory but...
5 litres Motul 7100= $102
1 litre Motul 80W90=$25
500 ml brake fluid= $14
Oil filter=$25

Sub total=$166

Now of course there can be Brembo brake pads=$200...(estimate)
Inner and outer spark plugs, 4x$6.00=$24
Air filter=$35

Sub total=$259

Grand total=$425...($306 American)

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »
Perhaps a comparison with old and new might be useful.

I recently had my 30+ year old, 105,000 mile R100GS recommissioned in Germany after 27 months of inactivity, after my last 2019 Euro-ride had ended in a return to base with an entirely destroyed front brake (caliper piston froze, one pad wore out in 2000 miles destroying the disk).  The price including 2 years storage, a new upgraded 300-mm disk, caliper overhaul, adapter bracket, plus full service including all fluids changed, valve adjust, carb synch, new clutch cable and some other odds and ends was Ä1150. 

The bill was not itemized, a cash transaction, although its obvious that when subtracting 2 years storage cost the remaining maintenance and repair cost for the old GS was quite inexpensive by any measureÖ and yes I do appreciate the good deal. However for comparison, the effort by the same guy at the same time to resurrect a friendís late model 1200GS for the same trip was Ä2200 - at least double the maintenance cost, with no destroyed front brake to deal with and storage cost the same for both bikes.

Not scientific data, but it is real.  Late model BMWs are not cheap to own.  Thereís a lot of stuff to break and it does break occasionally even in storage, these are not Japanese quality products.  And when the complex stuff does malfunction the cost is high.

The guy that does the work on my bike in Germany is a factory trained mechanic and current BMW factory employee, so given that heís a great guy it makes sense to stick with a BMW.  Every so often a good deal on a later model BMW comes along, typically another American wanting to sell his US registered bike in Germany, and I consider replacing the old one.  Then I decide not to do so.  The guy doing the work agrees with me.

Just my observation.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 02:15:44 PM by Tusayan »

Offline rusty rotor

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 02:57:13 PM »
Dude that's cheap.

Take some of what you're saving by doing it yourself and buy yourself a beer.

I had a car that cost 400 bucks an interval at the dealership.

I could get it done for $120 myself.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 03:04:38 PM »
Perhaps a comparison with old and new might be useful.

I recently had my 30+ year old, 105,000 mile R100GS recommissioned in Germany after 27 months of inactivity, after my last 2019 Euro-ride had ended in a return to base with an entirely destroyed front brake (caliper piston froze, one pad wore out in 2000 miles destroying the disk).  The price including 2 years storage, a new upgraded 300-mm disk, caliper overhaul, adapter bracket, plus full service including all fluids changed, valve adjust, carb synch, new clutch cable and some other odds and ends was Ä1150. 

The bill was not itemized, a cash transaction, although its obvious that when subtracting 2 years storage cost the remaining maintenance and repair cost for the old GS was quite inexpensive by any measureÖ and yes I do appreciate the good deal. However for comparison, the effort by the same guy at the same time to resurrect a friendís late model 1200GS for the same trip was Ä2200 - at least double the maintenance cost, with no destroyed front brake to deal with and storage cost the same for both bikes.

Not scientific data, but it is real.  Late model BMWs are not cheap to own.  Thereís a lot of stuff to break and it does break occasionally even in storage, these are not Japanese quality products.  And when the complex stuff does malfunction the cost is high.

The guy that does the work on my bike in Germany is a factory trained mechanic and current BMW factory employee, so given that heís a great guy it makes sense to stick with a BMW.  Every so often a good deal on a later model BMW comes along, typically another American wanting to sell his US registered bike in Germany, and I consider replacing the old one.  Then I decide not to do so.  The guy doing the work agrees with me.

Just my observation.

What needed to be done to the 1200GS?

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »
Iíve owned 5 bikes with shim under bucket and I checked clearance regularly always  a little apprehensive dreading the thought of pulling cams and dealing with timing chains. So far all 5 were always within spec with very change in clearance. One I bought new and put 107k with no reshimming required. Maybe Iím lucky or itís the way I ride or the design. Iíve been told that usually  if anythingís neede itís on the first check after that itís all good
Scuotere sonaglio e rotolare

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 06:31:09 PM »
Never owned a Beemer, but I always thought the most expensive part of being a Bee-Emm-Vay owner would be trying to look and sound like David Niven all the time!

Those personal grooming costs can add up quickly!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2016 KTM Duke 690
2019 Beta EVO 250
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1986 Honda XL600R

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 09:33:59 PM »
What needed to be done to the 1200GS?

Scheduled service plus some issue with the TPS or other similar EFI sensor.  Iím not sure about tires.

Edit - Remembering some parking lot talk, I think it may have been a faulty actuator for the exhaust system flapper (which if I recall correctly is like a throttle ahead of the muffler, ECU driven)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:50:05 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 09:36:23 AM »
Scheduled service plus some issue with the TPS or other similar EFI sensor.  Iím not sure about tires.

Edit - Remembering some parking lot talk, I think it may have been a faulty actuator for the exhaust system flapper (which if I recall correctly is like a throttle ahead of the muffler, ECU driven)

The exhaust flapper on wetheads is more a dB killer at low RPM's on the camheads its supposed to add a bit of backpressure for more low end grunt. In reality they serve very little purpose. Other manufacturers use them as well.

The servo for the exhaust flap is $345 USD or the entire servo/flapper unit is a little over $500 USD. Not sure about euro regulations but here in the good ole US of A I would have just omitted it and installed a $49 flapper eliminator and went about my day. They are not that important to the real word performance of the bike.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2021, 09:43:36 AM »
The exhaust flapper on wetheads is more a dB killer at low RPM's on the camheads its supposed to add a bit of backpressure for more low end grunt. In reality they serve very little purpose.

It would not pass inspection in Germany when modified but in the US Iíd remove it. The bike as it comes from BMW is loaded with all sorts of similar stuff that serves little or no purpose for my needs, and if you maintain and repair it as recommended by the manufacturer you will pay to do so.  My choice is to skip that choice, assuming the bike is registered where I have that choice, by not buying the bike in the first place.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:51:19 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2021, 04:32:21 PM »
<Snapping suspenders>

Doing the same on a Guzzi Ambassador:
- 3 qts. Sheel Rotella T4: $9.75
- brake fluid, what brake fluid?  :grin: Okay, lube the cables, probably cost as much as the brake fluid. $2 or so
- 910 cc of CRC Sta-Lube GL4 Gear Oil: $9-ish
- 20 cc of moly additive: $1?
- no brand name air filter: $14.58
- oil filter, what oil filter?  :grin:

$36.33. Probably won't need the air filter, $21.75 in that case.  :bike-037:
Charlie

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 04:54:50 PM »
<Snapping suspenders>

Doing the same on a Guzzi Ambassador:
- 3 qts. Sheel Rotella T4: $9.75
- brake fluid, what brake fluid?  :grin: Okay, lube the cables, probably cost as much as the brake fluid. $2 or so
- 910 cc of CRC Sta-Lube GL4 Gear Oil: $9-ish
- 20 cc of moly additive: $1?
- no brand name air filter: $14.58
- oil filter, what oil filter?  :grin:

$36.33. Probably won't need the air filter, $21.75 in that case.  :bike-037:

And since you don't drink deduct another $15 to $20 for "liquid wrench" so its like $1.75 to service an Loop......if you don't  :boozing:

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »
And since you don't drink deduct another $15 to $20 for "liquid wrench" so its like $1.75 to service an Loop......if you don't  :boozing:

:laugh: :laugh:
Charlie

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride , Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here