Author Topic: Cali3 on gravel  (Read 3323 times)

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
Cali3 on gravel
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
What front tire would you run on questionably maintained gravel roads?

I know that most would not think this the best bike to choose for this, but it is what i need to use. It has worked well with the sidecar but I have been running street tires on front as a rig. This will be for use without the car.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:40:59 PM by cleatusj »
'76 Convert with sidecar
'93 Cali III with sidecar
Granbury, Texas
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Cali3 on gravel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »
A universal dirt track type.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
I've never really had an issue with street tires in gravel. <shrug> I don't know if they still make "universal" tires like they had back in the day. That meant that they weren't any good on the street or trail.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
I was thinking of deeper tread for the talcum powder that builds up this time of year. A couple inches of that can sure make a front wash out.
'76 Convert with sidecar
Granbury, Texas
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 06:33:29 PM »
I was thinking of deeper tread for the talcum powder that builds up this time of year. A couple inches of that can sure make a front wash out.

"When in doubt, gas it.."  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
I've never really had an issue with street tires in gravel. <shrug> I don't know if they still make "universal" tires like they had back in the day. That meant that they weren't any good on the street or trail.  :smiley:

:popcorn:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:29:58 PM »
I go with whatever's mounted.  I put a tourance on the rear of my EV for a trip and hated it.  So my lasertec's or whatever is fine by me.

Dave Bell

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
Ive ridden quite a few hundred miles on rock, mud, sand and gravel and don't really notice huge differences in tires on loose gravel any more.  I think it's more mental and perhaps technique issues.

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »
I run Shinko 700 on the rear in a 130 tubeless and it works great at any speed the goose will run, but anything with an aggressive tread for the front is tubetype or a rear tire.

It could be I want to run too fast on gravel. With the sidecar 80 is seen quite often.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:43:02 PM by cleatusj »
'76 Convert with sidecar
Granbury, Texas

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
I was on several miles of dirt this weekend - on the Griso (the stock Metzler tires). Nice clean packed dirt was great. The short run to the camp ground on gravel was a bit of a nail biter for me. I prefer dirt - until it rains then I don't.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »
The Top-of-the-World highway is 200 miles of loose gravel on hardpan.  The tourance (dual-purpose) tire had no advantage over the street tires I usually use or those of the Jackal that accompanied me.  On regular pavement it was an ordeal.  Unless you'll be exclusively in good dirt surfaces, in my opinion you're at a disadvantage with specialty rubber.

$0.02

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »
I put a 90/90-18 on the front on my calvin (beacuse I had it on the shelf). the bike is fantastic on gravel, I think the narrow tire is why.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »
I notice that the KS and IA boys don't care.  They'll run what's on the bike, 'course that means the underside of their bike looks like it's been bead blasted. :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »
I dont find that the knobblies I have on my Nuovo Falcone make a scrap of difference on gravel but are a noisy pain on hardtop. I much prefer the feel of the Dunlop K70s I use on the Eldorado. I think and road tyre that isnt a slick would be fine. Its more about how you ride than what you ride.

Nick

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 04:13:56 PM »
 :1:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here