Author Topic: What does the retro craze say about us?  (Read 3143 times)

GeorgiaGuzzi

Re: What does the retro craze say about us?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
I was out the other day with my beat up and rusty '62 F100. While at a gas station, a younger guy looked over and said cool truck. Don't know if he meant it or was being sarcastic?? :huh: :undecided:

Tom

He meant it. I love seeing older vehicles still on the road. Kudos to the owners keeping them on the road.

Offline MarkPell

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »
IMHO, at least when it comes to bikes, the 70's had by far the most eye appeal. 850T's, T3's, LeMans I, CB750's, R90S, Commando's.....
Even the enduros (Yamaha's especially) and mini's were cute as hell!
Mark

2000 Kawasaki W650
1983 Lemans III
2019 Road Glide
2006 FJR1300
2007 Rokon Scout
1971 Bultaco Alpina
1971 Rupp Roadster
2006 Aprilia Mojito 150
2010 Vespa 150

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2021, 12:35:27 PM »
Nostalgia does play a part -- we all lust for the bike or car or ??? we couldn't afford when we turned 16, which is why prices go up on any well-maintained machine when it's about 35 or 40 years old. Our generation like retros when we can't afford a fully-restored BSA or Velocette.

But there's more to it. I noticed this winter that the lift operators in Aspen listen to a ton of '70s-era rock -- at some level they like the drive and color and variety compared to the fairly monotonous -- in the sense of tune-free -- stuff being foisted on them by today's musicians. Modern cars tend to look like smooth wind-tunnel lumps, sleek and not unattractive but all the same and without character. Retro stuff is quirky, with personality. For instance, despite being aimed at the same buyers, today's Beetle, Fiat 500 and Mini don't look alike. Same with bikes. Today's superbikes, to my eye, are hard to tell apart other than by branded colors, but when I see a retro flash by I know instantly if it's a Guzzi, Triumph, RE or Beemer. Even the motomags (or the motovids that have replaced them) use the word character when they review a retrobike, and not when they ride an adv or fully-faired rocket. Harley has known this principle all along -- for a generation they've sold nothing but retro bikes.

The retro Beetle that sort of kicked off this trend in the car world was sold mostly to women and hipsters who thought it was cute or "affordably authentic." But the real first retro was the Miata, which filled the hole left when the British car industry cratered. I'd argue that Porsche is like Harley -- it never stopped making a retro 911.

I subscribe to this view.

Superficial consumerism and increasingly boring products that are difficult to differentiate and hard to love should attract an interest in craftsmanship and old, lasting products (forget the rosy tinge here  :grin:), which perhaps for the time being is cresting?

Is it a craze, or is it a fashion? Can't say, anyway what's the difference.
But I don't think it says much about (most of) us  -  we're stuck in the seventies in any case and overtaken by the event. (speaking for myself, at least  :grin: )

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 12:40:59 PM »
Don't care what you say; to me the mid 50 Chevies and Fords look light years better than anything available today!!
 Of course I am 78 so I have no taste!!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 12:40:59 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »
I'm not the least bit interested in todays cars. They're just transportation. I'd much rather look at a '55 Bel Air or a '66 Chevy II Nova, Chevelle, or something of that nature. But no FORDS please  :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2021, 12:01:32 AM »
I'm not a fan of the "retro craze". Some designs are close to perfect, and deserve to be emulated. It's rare that the emulation is an improvement over the original, and it can backfire. Anyone remember the Plymouth Prowler ?
The new challenger looks cartoonish and blocky next to an original.
The latest mustang is a knockout.

Harley has had a variation of the same style of bike for years because the styling works.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:05:48 AM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2021, 01:11:33 AM »
 Was riding a /5 toaster tank on a regular basis , it was interesting to note that young folks born in 1990 were drawn to it , somehow understanding that although it was a bit of a beater , or as Luap said , "now fellas , there's a motorcycle with patina" , the beemer was the real deal . Coming out of a bookstore walking towards the old thing , a woman in an Escalade asked if I had a moment , wanting to know why everyone who walked past the "old beat up motorcycle stopped and stared at it , ignoring the flashy new shiny motorcycles parked in the next aisle?" Looking at her Escalade and her fancy rings , it seemed likely no explanation would satisfy her .

Dusty

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2021, 04:36:59 AM »
I knew if I waited long enough my black and gold shag carpet would come back in style!

I  have zero interest in the new cars. You can't tell them apart from on another and I can't guess within ten years what model they are.

Tex

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2021, 06:40:06 AM »
That we had it right the first time.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2021, 06:43:07 AM »
That we had it right the first time.
:thumb:
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
I'm not the least bit interested in todays cars. They're just transportation. I'd much rather look at a '55 Bel Air or a '66 Chevy II Nova, Chevelle, or something of that nature. But no FORDS please  :grin:

I felt the same until last year when it was time to replace my long time BMW M3 (20 years) Test drove everything in my budget and ended up with my first Ford Ever.... A nice blend of modern and classic.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2021, 04:58:57 AM »
I was out the other day with my beat up and rusty '62 F100. While at a gas station, a younger guy looked over and said cool truck. Don't know if he meant it or was being sarcastic?? :huh: :undecided:

Tom

he was being sincere.  According to the authors of the book "Generations: a History of America's Future," (great book!) this is a time when the younger generation and the older generations agree on a lot of "art" and "style" for lack of better terms.

A couple years back, I was riding in a truck with my teenage nephew and a song from the 80's came on the radio and he started singing the lyrics.

I was surprised and asked "You actually know and like this song"
He replied "Oh yeah!  All my friends love the music from this era!"
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2021, 07:04:15 AM »
I think in bikes its because so many of the modern bikes look alike. Thats why Guzzi and BMW should never stop the transverse twins, as they are totally unique. Very few modern bikes "do it" for me, and I'm a youngster of 54. Apart from the V7s and the V85TT, bikes made right now?? Maybe the Enfield 650s. Maybe the Street Twin. You can see a pattern here..... When I was 10 in 1976 Australia THE coolest bikes to me were the MX and Enduro bikes of the day, and that was it. Road bikes were not on my radar. At 20, it was works trials bikes, and Paris Dakar Bikes, GP500s, 250s, and 125s, and Supermono type racers. And my absolute dream bike as a learner on the road was an SRX250...already leaning a bit retro.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »
I’m gonna have to chime in again. We just drove from Estes Park CO to Gunnison CO. We took the peak to peak highway again, then went thru Leadville and up over Monarch pass. Thru snow most of the way. Even dropped into 4h over monarch pass.

The 2021 Jeep Wrangler, with a turboed 2.0 and auto transmission, averaged over 26 mpg today!!! Those aren’t Highway miles. Solid front and rear axles. Think about the fuel mileage the old 4x4s of yesteryear got. Remember the wranglers with the AMC 360’s? Road manners are well behaved. Braking is very good. Acceleration is impressive. (For a Jeep) the heater and defroster are amazing! To be honest I’m impressed. There’s no compare to the old Jeep’s it’s styled after. If you had told me I’d ever write the preceding I’d have taken that bet. And I woulda lost. The substance of today’s retro themed vehicles finally matches the styling.

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2021, 08:44:12 PM »
I think it says that younger people admire what older people accomplished.  (I'm a teacher so hang out with lots of younger minds.)

The average American is 38 years young.  Older people walked on the moon, joined the Peace Corps, eradicated smallpox, won the cold war, formulated the civil rights and environmental movements.  (even invented the microchip and personal computer)  These are BIG ideas - giant technical, scientific, social and political achievements (whether or not you agree with them).  The fact that we talk about them means that people like some of us here, and my parents and grand parents volunteered, got involved, sacrificed and made them important. 

And all bad things look easier to handle if they are in the past, so the turmoil of difficult events of the past can be simplified and idealized.

I really like the retro look.   :grin:

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10:46 PM »
I like bikes that look like bikes, not transformers, or insects, or any of that stuff.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2021, 09:36:21 PM »
Great things are timeless, whether old or new.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2021, 07:54:17 AM »
Began riding in the1950's when imported bikes were enjoying popularity. For me the singles and twins of the day defined what a motorcycle looked like. (AJS, Matchless, Ariel, Norton, BSA, Triumph, BMW, ect.) What we call retro is simply a motorcycle with modern features. They looked good then and they look good now. Kudos to RE and Kawasaki for trying to "Keep the faith."

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2021, 08:56:52 AM »
Imagine you are anywhere between the ages of 10 and 40. All you can remember are chains of businesses. Chains of pharmacies, home-improvement centers, restaurants, convenient stores, Hardware stores, steak houses. Almost any town you go to in America it all looks the same. You have the Walmarts, the targets, and it goes on and on and on.

Now if you grew up in the 40s, 50s, 60s you remember mom and pop pharmacies, mom and pop hardware stores, local restaurants, local grocery stores and so on , All very interesting places that treated you as an individual not as a customer number. Like it’s been said, carsBack in the day had a unique look and feel and so did the businesses.It was all more intimate and meaningful.

Now all the younger generation has is A very boring And impersonal world to live in.

That’s why the younger generation in our town is patronizing local hometown restaurants and businesses in the small town of Lancaster Pennsylvania. These small businesses are thriving thanks to the younger generation who does appreciate a personal feel and flocks to a local business that cares about the community, unlike a Walmart or Target.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
Imagine you are anywhere between the ages of 10 and 40. All you can remember are chains of businesses. Chains of pharmacies, home-improvement centers, restaurants, convenient stores, Hardware stores, steak houses. Almost any town you go to in America it all looks the same. You have the Walmarts, the targets, and it goes on and on and on.

Now if you grew up in the 40s, 50s, 60s you remember mom and pop pharmacies, mom and pop hardware stores, local restaurants, local grocery stores and so on , All very interesting places that treated you as an individual not as a customer number. Like it’s been said, carsBack in the day had a unique look and feel and so did the businesses.It was all more intimate and meaningful.

Now all the younger generation has is A very boring And impersonal world to live in.

That’s why the younger generation in our town is patronizing local hometown restaurants and businesses in the small town of Lancaster Pennsylvania. These small businesses are thriving thanks to the younger generation who does appreciate a personal feel and flocks to a local business that cares about the community, unlike a Walmart or Target.

This is exactly why Royal Enfield, Triumph, and Harley Davidson are thriving in this boring environment. If Moto Guzzi could get their act together they could reap the rewards as well
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 09:14:04 AM »
Yes HD is still far the biggest here in North America, but they clearly are not “thriving “.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »

Tom

If he followed his statement with the word "boomer",  then is was sarcastic !
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »
This is exactly why Royal Enfield, Triumph, and Harley Davidson are thriving in this boring environment. If Moto Guzzi could get their act together they could reap the rewards as well

If Moto Guzzi got “their act together” like Harley, Enfield India and Triumph, they too could sell mass market plastic replicas of their past products.  The Nuovo V7 etc is awful, but not quite as awful as a Union Jack emblazoned Triumph built in Thailand with fake non functional injection molded plastic transmission cases.  Guzzi still has its real facility, as well as mechanical designs that didn’t start with primarily a cosmetic requirement.

I do think the Enfield is better than the Triumph, and that Harley has finally shown progress in building modern motorcycles. The latter is real progress.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:45:01 PM by Tusayan »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »
If Moto Guzzi got “their act together” like Harley, Enfield India and Triumph, they too could sell mass market plastic replicas of their past products.  The Nuovo V7 etc is awful, but not quite as awful as a Union Jack emblazoned Triumph built in Thailand with fake non functional injection molded plastic transmission cases.  Guzzi still has its real facility, as well as mechanical designs that didn’t start with primarily a cosmetic requirement.

I do think the Enfield is better than the Triumph, and that Harley has finally shown progress in building modern motorcycles. The latter is real progress.

You are clearly wrong in your assertion that the v7 is "awful",  but I can see there is no use in pointing out why you're wrong.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2021, 01:07:26 PM »
QUOTE: "What does the retro craze say about us....?"

Two simple words...."Guzzi Geezers!"  :laugh: :grin: :wink: :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2021, 01:14:06 PM »
By the way, I forgot to add that the reason my newest of nine bikes is a 2002 model is that what prior Italian bikes had was the art of combining new and old, without losing what had been learned.  What killed that?  Retro, with its crass and artless theft of past designs offered up as a way to sell motorcycles that aren't  modern either. 

It's really ironic.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2021, 06:31:25 PM »
You are clearly wrong in your assertion that the v7 is "awful",  but I can see there is no use in pointing out why you're wrong.

I should have been clearer... I meant their marketing. They have great bikes and terrible marketing. A small example is you have to look long and hard to see the name “Moto Guzzi” from 6 feet away on the new bikes.Other manufacturers have it prominently displayed on the gas tank where people can see it!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2021, 06:47:48 PM »
I would go with Mr. Roper, whatever his opinion is on this question.
Its sorta like 'why is there reruns on tv?'  Why are bikinis cool?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:49:09 PM by dguzzi »
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
Was riding a /5 toaster tank on a regular basis , it was interesting to note that young folks born in 1990 were drawn to it , somehow understanding that although it was a bit of a beater , or as Luap said , "now fellas , there's a motorcycle with patina" , the beemer was the real deal . Coming out of a bookstore walking towards the old thing , a woman in an Escalade asked if I had a moment , wanting to know why everyone who walked past the "old beat up motorcycle stopped and stared at it , ignoring the flashy new shiny motorcycles parked in the next aisle?" Looking at her Escalade and her fancy rings , it seemed likely no explanation would satisfy her .

Dusty

Typical of a segment of society that know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!

A blinged out Escalade with a blinged up driver is shouting "look at my wealth, I must be important",

An old /5 or Loop Guzzi, still running and bringing a broad smile to the rider and those that come across it, quietly displays quality of design and fabrication, durability and is still attractive, even to those that know little or nothing of motorcycles.

What will a 20 year old Escalade look like? what will it be worth and how will it be judged to the standards of the future?
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2021, 07:12:42 PM »
Well, I for one could care less about a "Retro" Lemans. But I retro 1000S? Now you're talkin!  :cool: That could be awesome with the small block motor. Or even a retro SPIII? Givi luggage and sport touring never gets old!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here