Author Topic: Looking for help with a Marantz receiver (ngc)  (Read 2348 times)

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
Looking for help with a Marantz receiver (ngc)
« on: November 11, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »
I am reaching out to the collective knowledge of this group. I have a Marantz receiver that I bought in 1974 and have always had in service to spin vinyl and power my Cerwin-Vega speakers. In its prime it had a fullness and depth of sound that was amazing! It popped the fuse on the back panel a few weeks ago and I have been trying to find a repair shop to refurbish it but not having much luck... Part of the problem is it is the 4 channel version and the one shop I found doesn't work on that model 4240. I am obviously attached to this system and would like to bring it back! Any help will be much appreciated!Thanks...
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Looking for help with a Marantz receiver (ngc)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 11:45:08 AM »
Bound to be a forum or FB group of enthusiasts for this stuff somewhere on the web...

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »
 You may have a problem, there. It has been very difficult for me to find an affordable qualified technician for repair of vintage electronics.
For many years, I was lucky enough to have an old Electrical Engineer for help.
Now it appears that if you do not have one of those or a technician friend or an old Ham Radio operator, that there are just three alternatives.

1. Learn it yourself using traditional sources and hi fi forums.
2. Pay a rare qualified electronics technician to repair it at about $200-$800 per unit.
3. Replace it with a working unit. (most cost effective?)

Some guitar amp technicians may be old time techs in disguise.

You may be able to buy another one in working condition for less than repair costs.
ie: Marantz 2240 working $650.00 on ebay.
If it was high end collectible and you can afford it, take your pick of sources from the internet like Oak Tree Enterprises and pay the price.  http://www.oaktreevintage.com/repair_links_outside.htm

I was faced with repairing an AKAI Reel to Reel and the cost was going to be $800 including shipping.
I found an excellent working identical unit on ebay for $350.
The Marantz name has a cult like following and name recognition whereas ther are many contemporary units to it that sound just as good.
ie: I have one of these which sounds very good in comparison to about a dozen other stereo amps I have. Even though how it really sounds to you may be an emotional response, even though it has a high approval from many sources. It is only one example of many old amps that should sound as good sounding as the Marantz.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:03:05 PM by ozarquebus »
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 01:26:16 PM »
Contact Marantz. They have 3 levels of repair centers. I had a power surge that killed mine. I sent it to them and they had it fixed in a week.

ZZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 01:26:16 PM »

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
I like many of the people my age closed my repair shop about 15 years ago, couldn't find any qualified help any more at that time and had too much work to be able to keep up by myself.  I wouldn't have any idea where to find a qualified person anymore.  It is a thankless job.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 02:14:51 PM »
Check your PM's

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
Can’t speak about amp repair, but I did get a woofer on a klipshe speaker repaired last week for $49.00. Sounds good as new. I was test driving it on the “audio” thread I posted 😃😃😃 I bet Ozarque is right, might be better finding a good used unit. By the way..... my old NAD rocks the house 👍
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
My 40 year old Technics blew a channel when I moved to my house (27 years ago), I had indoors and outdoors on (and didn't know the outdoors was on), turned it to 11, decided in needed more bass and hit loudness button. 

And down goes the left side channel (best Howard Cosell voice)!

Took it to the shop and was told it was the transistor.  And it wasn't cost effective fix.  I think the old hulk is still in the attic.   No, Technic was not near the quality of Marantz. 

Replaced it with an Onkyo, replaced that one with another AV Onkyo (much better sound too).  That one is probably obsolete but works (and sounds find).  The old one is in the back room with cheap speakers and the old Philips turntable.

Bottomline:  I need to clean out my attic.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 07:03:24 PM »
An old amp like that should bs fixable, the parts should still be available.

The nice thing about stereos is you have two channels to compare against each other.

Some of the parts are getting knocked off because the Chinese have learnt there's big money in parts, beware of components that seem like a really good deal.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »
I just googled Marantz 4240 service manual and one of the hits was hifiengine.com. After creating an account, username, email required, I was able to download schematics and a service manual.
Any competent electronic engineer or tech shoukd be able to repair that receiver with these tools assuming its not some unique part like a special transformer.

Pete

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
Here is some good news,I got a reply from an electronics engineer who repairs and refurbishes old stereos as a hobby. He has agreed to work on my receiver! Thanks to all for the good suggestions!
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »
Cool! Let us know how it works out.

Per our discussion yesterday, I forgot to mention that there was a factory service center located closer to you that Rochester NY. (Actually there are several scattered around the country.)

I remember looking at the distances when I was considering driving mine to them. Anyway, carry on.

John Henry

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 04:57:23 PM »
It's of an age where electrolytic capacitors give up the ghost.  If that's indeed the problem, it's an easy fix.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 08:11:21 AM »
I am reaching out to the collective knowledge of this group. I have a Marantz receiver that I bought in 1974 and have always had in service to spin vinyl and power my Cerwin-Vega speakers. In its prime it had a fullness and depth of sound that was amazing! It popped the fuse on the back panel a few weeks ago and I have been trying to find a repair shop to refurbish it but not having much luck... Part of the problem is it is the 4 channel version and the one shop I found doesn't work on that model 4240. I am obviously attached to this system and would like to bring it back! Any help will be much appreciated!Thanks...

Email our own Michael D.  He can probably get you lined out.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2506

hifi57@yahoo.com
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 08:13:36 AM »
    No, Technic was not near the quality of Marantz. 

No kidding?   :cheesy:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
Careful, I have a Marantz cassette deck that I was quoted 375$ just to check it over! I bought a belt for 6 bucks...the guy was nice enough to tell me how to "tune" the motor.  Dang thing still seems to suffer from old age.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline ILM Rosso

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »
Irebuildmarantz.com
2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello
1998 Buell S3T
1976 Suzuki RE5 Rotary
1967 FLH Electra Glide
1967 Suzuki T200

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
A further update,looked on EBay,found a Marantz 2220B for 125 plus 80 shipping.took a chance,got a 20 dollar discount on shipping,so 185 to my door. Got it today,hooked it up,works as advertised! I am a very happy camper! I still plan on having my 4240 rebuilt but with a six to nine month waiting list I now have a good backup!

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 12:31:36 AM »
That is great, looks like a good deal.

Technics actually made some pretty good amps in late 70s even if not up to Marantz build quality..
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 02:46:26 AM »
A further update,looked on EBay,found a Marantz 2220B for 125 plus 80 shipping.took a chance,got a 20 dollar discount on shipping,so 185 to my door. Got it today,hooked it up,works as advertised! I am a very happy camper! I still plan on having my 4240 rebuilt but with a six to nine month waiting list I now have a good backup!

In my younger days I had a Marantz 2220b with big Cerwin Vega speakers.  Wish I still had them.

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
You do not have a location listed so this may be helpful, or maybe not...

Anyway, I can vouch for both of these shops.

https://www.just-audio.com/

https://crucialaudio.com/

JUST AUDIO accepts mail-in equipment for repairs.  Very good troubleshooting, but missed the fact that my Onkyo amp had a main power switch that was beginning to fail which was a symptom that I described to them.

Crucial Audio does not list their primary business as audio equipment repair, but Steve is VERY GOOD at trouble shooting and subsequent repair.  Call him and talk.  He may be interested in working on your problem.
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline RaceyStoner27

• New Egg
  • Bigly Strictness
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 08:25:49 PM »
Marantz is stll making and supporting stuff FWIW:

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Support/Pages/ServiceCenter.aspx
A che serve una macchina senza anima?

NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here