Author Topic: Rattle Noise Revisited. Still Need Some Help!  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Rattle Noise Revisited. Still Need Some Help!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »
Rocker pins, I could see that. I have had them out many times and randomly installed them. I never intentionally installed them the same way they came out. I guess I could have?? The screws I'm pretty darn sure are the correct length or slightly shorter. Definitely not longer.

Are they oiling correctly? When I pull the covers, there is always the puddle of oil at the lower end of the head. When I remove the rocker pins, they are wet from oil. Also the pins show no signs of wear or scaring. My Eldo did have worn pins, so I do know what that looks like.

When I put this bike together I had some rattles and even a vibration on the freeway. The vibration turned out to be a toothed style gen belt hitting the cast little arc that the top gen cover bolt threads into. My gen was not perfectly straight and was slightly pointing to one side. Centered the gen, tossed the toothed belt and all fine.

While chasing rattles I have done things like removing the horn, holding side stand with my foot, ect. I even pulled and inspected my forks to make sure that they were not the cause. They had a rattle that was the fender.

I will look again, just in case.

I forgot to mention. My last test ride, I had removed the gen belt. Even though I have tried this before while chasing rattles, I thought I would try it again. No change, so it's not likely a gen bearing issue.

Now let's say I find a loose bolt or whatever that rattles at 4000rpm. Why would lowering the timing make the noise stop?? Harmonics??? Why would adding timing make the noise start at less than 4000??

This is why I'm getting frustrated with this. I want, no, I need to find and fix this. I'm really hoping that it's something simple and stupid that I'm missing and can post that it was the thingamajig, I never thought to look there. How embarrassing!

Again, thanks everybody so far.
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here