Author Topic: Carburetor conundrum Guzzi content  (Read 2356 times)

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
Carburetor conundrum Guzzi content
« on: July 08, 2021, 10:12:23 PM »
I know that most fuel related issues are electrical,  however.
Bike is a Cal 3 with 36mm PHF Dellortos.
Right side works great, mixture screw works as expected ...all good there.
Left side runs fine off idle eg throttle open to any extent. Not so at idle.
Left side will fire somewhat if the idle speed screw is ALL the way in and the mixture screw is likewise ALL the way in. If I pull up on thr choke it runs better,  still not great.
Ultrasonic cleaned, gumout cleaned. Multiple times. Compressed air through everything i can find. Reassemble and it acts the same. Exchange plugs, floats and needle valves. Same. 
What next? Exchange Jets? Coils? Torque heads and set valves?
Not my bike so unknown history. Very low mileage machine,  7k.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Carburetor conundrum Guzzi content
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 10:26:58 PM »
If the PHF 36 are new Dellorto units they are a lean burn carb and to achieve an idle the pilot jets need to larger than the old PHF 36. I have installed new PHF 36 Dellorto’s on my 1975 Ducati 860 and 1973 Laverda SF1 and with stock jets (50) neither bike would idle and only started on choke. The Ducsti forum explained that a 65 pilot (minimum) would cure the problem and it did! The mixture screw is a fuel screw, out for rich and in for lean. If you can turn the mixture screw all the way in and the bike keeps running the pilot is too big. If you have to turn the screw out more than 3 turns the jet is too small, this from the Ducati Bevel forum and the advice worked for me.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 10:39:53 PM »
Switch the carbs.

If the problem follows the L carb to the R cylinder, the problem is in the L carb.  If it doesn't, the problem is not in the carb.
1990 MilleGT

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »
The PHF 36s on my LMIII have an atomizer below the idle jet. It seems like a great trap for corrosion - could it be blocked?  It is worth proving that there is communication between the idle needle and the idle and transfer ports in the carb throat.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 11:29:28 PM »
  And if you have a can of WD-40 handy , don't be afraid to spray it all over the intake area of the poor running side , this will
show you if part of your problem may be an air leak .  Peter

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 11:59:21 PM »
My 850T had running issues when I bought it. someone had rebuilt both carbs at the same time and put two main jets in in one of them. 
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Peter from Sch'dy

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 06:14:24 AM »
I had a similar problem with a convert. Turned out valves on poor running side were tight..worth a look anyway.
Good luck!
Peter

jwinwi

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 07:50:09 AM »
I had a similar problem with a convert. Turned out valves on poor running side were tight..worth a look anyway.
Good luck!
Peter
With unknown history, valve lash is a good place to start. Not saying it IS ignition related but what system is it? Points, Dyna, Dodgyplex, Motoplat?
EDIT: Idle mixture screw should be about 1-1/2 turns out, right? All the way in is the leanest setting...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:22:51 AM by jwinwi »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 07:54:05 AM »
What distributor does it have? Bosch? Dyna? Guzzi's electronic ign?

Does it have long tip mixture screws? You can trim them back to VHB size. Works better.

All good info on carbs here. Wouldn't hurt to check valves.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
Ignition is a Digiplex. Bike built 4/93.. PHF main and idle Jets have different threads so can't interchange like a VHB. Will check valves first as it's cold and I do have spare gaskets handy. Swapping carbs would be difficult as they are designed for right and left. Might try Swapping idle and pilots. Mixture screws are not the long ones and the right side is about 1-1/2 turns out.
Unfortunately schedule may not allow for much wrench time for a couple days.
Will certainly keep you posted.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 09:45:34 AM by ccoli »
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:53:57 AM »
Put a timing light on the side w/miss make sure it's not skipping from ign. It is a Digiplex after all. 93's are pretty good usually.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
I've never heard of a problem with a Digiplex as long as it's getting power. <shrug>
Unfortunately schedule may not allow for much wrench time for a couple days.

Yeah, yeah. You headed off to some exotic locale? :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 06:33:48 AM »
Cal 111, w 36 phf

The needle valve, that is spring loaded, was getting hung up

Worked…didn’t…..worked….didn’t

Fuel flow on that side worked…didn’t…worked…didn’t

The tiniest spring inside that needle valve forked things up for several months as i…

Chased everything else. Timing, points, plugs, cables, floats, gaskets, overflow tubes, slides, needle, voltage, coils, grounds, and anything else I could find within arms reach

Frustrated on the sunny driveway, I casually pushed on the float needle valve thingee…clickclickclickingstuck

“Oh, it’s spring loaded..”

“and it sticks, too…”

Low fuel in the float bowl?

My first effort of motorcycle repairs…check everything else first so it’ll be your final possible solution
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 07:54:44 AM »
Verify that the rubber on the choke plunger isn't disintegrating from age and ethanol. Dellortos have a very weird reverse-flow choke fuel path- you may think that raising the choke adds fuel, but they are designed so that when you raise the slide enough they stop drawing fuel through the choke and draw air instead. No other carb I've seen works this way.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
Ok i got a little done before I left for the big city. Milwaukee to pick up mail and attend a Rhett Miller show tonight.
Checked valves, right exhaust was a little tight. Otherwise not bad. Torque heads, the did snug down a bit.  Set all valves. Checked spark, seems consistent. Choke tips look good, super low mileage bike and owner says, no ethanol. There were some metal shavings on the timing sensor.
Chuck; BTDT on my Spiii with something over 150k miles the spring valve came apart causing intermittent problems,  you'd think things would last longer than that 👌.
Sprayed more cleaner...
Still won't fire at low RPMs. Taking a break for a few days. Then I think I will try Swapping Jets side to side. Pick up a couple more cans of carb cleaner.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »
I think I am insane. I keep trying the same thing and expecting a result of some kind.
Been through 2 cans of gum out and blown air through the passages. Rechecked Jets, floats. I still won't idle correctly on the left side. It will fire if I choke it or pull the mixture screw out entirely. Took it out for a short ride and it runs wonderful above idle.
Lost most of the mercury from my carb stix in a moving accident.
All of this frustration while I'm taping and mudding drywall in my new workshop. Fun and games.
PS Jets are 130 main, 60 idle and 70 pilot.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 06:01:58 PM »
I think I am insane.

Realization is the first step.  :evil:  :cool:
<sotto voice> Hey man.. I just scored a fair sized jug of mercury. Want me to bring some to help a brother out to the Wisconsin rally?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 06:21:58 PM »
left float level too low?  The fact that you have to wind the idle screw all the way in and choke that side tells me it requiring more air flow to lift fuel at idle . Like RK mentioned, you can check bowl volumes , make sure you close the petcocks first.  Personally I would check the left float level and be sure it's floating and not sinking/leaking.  It's important also that both slides are resting on the idle stop screws and not hanging by the cables as RK stated.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 11:12:44 PM »
Realization is the first step.  :evil:  :cool:
<sotto voice> Hey man.. I just scored a fair sized jug of mercury. Want me to bring some to help a brother out to the Wisconsin rally?

You beat me to it, I was going to offer some of my stash at the rally!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »
Did you pull the idle jets and mechanically clean out the holes?  Spraying or ultrasonic cleaning won’t work. Usually a #78 drill bit or .016” guitar string will fit most idle jet holes.  When the bikes sit these are the first to clog.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

jwinwi

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 07:52:58 AM »
Chris, have you set the idle mixture screw to 1-1/2 - 2 turns out? Most likely not the whole problem but you said it and the idle speed screws were all the way in. :popcorn:

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »
Float volumes seem good and I did swap the oats side to side. No problem with fuel flow to the carbs. I will use the tuna can method to verify them, but it might be a Nevada rally coffee cup instead 😉
I do not have nor know what a jet brush is. So no did not use one.
I can see through all the Jets except for the accelerator pump check valve whichI can blow through one way.  I have to think some passage in the body is clogged.
Yes John or Chuck i would love to have a new stash of mercury,  I will look into how much volume I need.
The right side carb adjustment is about 1-1/2 turn out, the left side does little or nothing between all the way in and all the out as in removed.
So yes there is slack in the cables and the idle speed screws are lifting the slides
Slides cannot be reversed like on a VHB.
I'll try  cleaning again and hope for different results 😅 do have some old guitar strings if it comes to that.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
Got to be in the body, Chris. I got one of those newfangled carb sync sticks w/stainless rods in it cause I got low on mercury.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 10:06:50 AM by guzzisteve »

F-Fred

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
Chris, I have a DS left-side 36mm body from a Cal III you could borrow and swap out?  It's been soaked in my bucket of old-school carb cleaner (methylene chloride).

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 08:06:12 PM »
Guess I forgot to pray to Carlo.
Problem still unsolved.
Today I
Verified fuel bowl volume. Same on both sides.
Clean body, idle and pilot jets. Used another can of gum out. Couldn't find guitar strings so I used sewing needles. Thought I had found a plugged passage. Reassemble and fire it up same old sh#$. Tried something different by removing the choke completely. Leaving a big air hole above the pilot. Ran better than ever.
The cable on the affected carb seems a little tight in not much free play.  Changed it out with one that was a tad longer. Idle speed screw does move the slide, so it's not too bad. Might disassemble the splitter to soon if I can get some more free play. Not the biggest problem here.
Fred, I may have to try my left carb from the Spiii but its 170 miles away. Thanks for the offer.
May just put it all back together so the owner can bring it to the Wisconsin rally. It runs fine other than Idle.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »
Another interesting fun fact is that the aftermarket exhaust system has no crossover. Think it might be Bub.
I also cleaned up a section of the woods. Burning the brush and dead trees and composting the old leaves, in case you think iam spending too much time on this. Need to get back to mudding drywall in the workshop.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2021, 11:19:44 PM »
Have you tried squirting extra fuel in the throat of the offending carb at idle to see if it starts to run?

Two ideas.  Some (all?) PHFs have an emulsion tube under the idle jet that could be easily blocked.  Maybe it is clogged?  Guzziology suggests they can be removed and not affect the running. 

Also, having been warned away from using wires to clean jets I resorted to using round, hardwood toothpicks.  Push it into the jet and it will compress a small amount to the size of the jet.  Twisting the toothpick will polish the jet and you can insert it from the other side too.  Just don't break it off in the jet! 

Good luck.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2021, 05:48:27 AM »
Guess I forgot to pray to Carlo.
Problem still unsolved.
Today I
Verified fuel bowl volume. Same on both sides.
Clean body, idle and pilot jets. Used another can of gum out. Couldn't find guitar strings so I used sewing needles. Thought I had found a plugged passage. Reassemble and fire it up same old sh#$. Tried something different by removing the choke completely. Leaving a big air hole above the pilot. Ran better than ever.
The cable on the affected carb seems a little tight in not much free play.  Changed it out with one that was a tad longer. Idle speed screw does move the slide, so it's not too bad. Might disassemble the splitter to soon if I can get some more free play. Not the biggest problem here.
Fred, I may have to try my left carb from the Spiii but its 170 miles away. Thanks for the offer.
May just put it all back together so the owner can bring it to the Wisconsin rally. It runs fine other than Idle.

C'mon, pal.. idle is controlled strictly by the idle jet circuit. It's not rocket science.. :evil:  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 12:34:51 AM »
C'mon, pal.. idle is controlled strictly by the idle jet circuit. It's not rocket science.. :evil:  :smiley:

And I'm no rocket surgeon! Decided to run to Milwaukee to get the left carb off the SPIII. Convenient night for a little party in town as we just won the NBA TITLE! Go Bucks!
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here