Author Topic: Wont downshift  (Read 923 times)

Offline dbarb3

• New Egg
Wont downshift
« on: September 25, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »
2002 V11 Lemans   Posted on Lemans Forum but figured I'd ask over here too

Bike stranded me and would only downshift from 6th to 5th and no more.  Assumed it was the spring was broken.  Pulled selector box and springs are intact.  Since I was slammed with work I sent selector box off to have it checked and super spring installed. Selector box works correctly.  I checked the shifting mechanism and cleaned and lubed and its working fine and hitting nothing.

Reassembled everything today and shifts just fine 1st thru 6th but will only downshift from 6 to 5th.  Shifting forks looked fine to an untrained eye.

Anybody had similar problem?

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
Re: Wont downshift
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 08:49:53 AM »
It is a very simple mechanism. Check for any wear or play. When you say it won't downshift, does the lever move and nothing happens, or is the lever stuck solid? If it moves, is there any resistance/drag, or is it flapping in the wind?

Offline dbarb3

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Moves with some resistance but will not click into the lower gear

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 12:22:50 AM »
  The 5 speeds have an adjustable eccentric on the tranny end cover to allow for some fine tuning , do the 6 speeds
have this ?  Peter

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 12:22:50 AM »

Offline dbarb3

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 05:15:43 PM »
No eccentric on this one.  The selector box has been checked and is working properly off the bike, but not on.  Still does not shift properly.

I am resigned to taking it to a shop but Hamlin and Cadre are only 2 that come to mind, both 500 miles from central NC. 

Any suggestions?

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 07:06:00 PM »
Measure the movement off the bike, and on. If they are different, then something on the bike is limiting the travel.

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 09:04:22 PM »
No eccentric on this one.  The selector box has been checked and is working properly off the bike, but not on.  Still does not shift properly.

I am resigned to taking it to a shop but Hamlin and Cadre are only 2 that come to mind, both 500 miles from central NC. 

Any suggestions?

You do know that there's a dealer in Charlotte right?
Tee's Eruo Cycle
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Offline dbarb3

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 08:13:24 AM »
no I didnt know about the shop in Charlotte thanks

A lot of the newer dealers wont touch the older bikes but I will give them a call

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 11:48:44 AM »
There was a independent Euro shop in Charlotte, maybe same guys.
On that trans the forks & shafts have to be perfect alignment for the wheels on the door to work correctly.
Had my share of fixing springs & recalls on them. Real fussy alignment. Worth checking.
There used to be a real good wrench live in Asheville area (Steve) that worked at the dealer used to be in Spartanburg
There is a Tech Rep in OH that could fix it, he's on here, Dave Blue has his own shop too.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 11:51:45 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline dbarb3

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 01:07:58 PM »
yes I have reinstalled the door 3 different times, I may give it another go but seems it will only fit up tight with forks in certain position.  Is it possible to install door wrong if it is tight against case?

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 02:51:15 PM »
yes I have reinstalled the door 3 different times, I may give it another go but seems it will only fit up tight with forks in certain position.  Is it possible to install door wrong if it is tight against case?

I'm definitely no expert on the innards/working on trannys, but iirc there's detailed instructions on V11Lemans on putting the tranny back together properly; I "think" part of that involves the tranny being in neutral before reassembly.

fwiw idk ymmv
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here