Author Topic: jackal front brake caliper  (Read 11567 times)

Orange Guzzi

Re: jackal front brake caliper
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »
If I didn't know better I would think  I have a bad caliper but it's new.  I've taken the caliper off and placed a steel strap the same thickness as the disk.  When I pump the caliper up only two piston will move out (with them all blocked but one at a time they will all move out a 1/4") and the caliper doesn't tighten up.  Now their is no air in the system.  In my way of thinking It's the caliper.  Going to call tomorrow on price of a 4 piston unit.  If it's to much I'm going to take it to a Dealer and see what they find out. MPH is 10 hr. Tulsa is 4 hr.Rudyr

What size master cylinder are you using?  You should be able to look under the casting and see a number.  If you are using a piston size smaller than a 13mm, you will not be able to push enough fluid to make the caliper work.  If you go up to a 14 mm the caliper will work much better, but you will get less braking force with a very firm lever.  You want a ratio of around 24-25:1.    With 2 30 mm dia. pistons and 2 34 mm pistons, you have 3229.56 mm/sq'd  and the master cylinder is 13mm, you have 132.732 mm/sq'd  giving you a ratio of 24.333:1.   

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
I got it at MPH for a 2000 jackal.  The Jackal has a 4 piston caliper where the EV has 2, 2 piston calipers I,m told.rudyr

That's not correct.  The California EV has two of the same calipers as the Jackal's one caliper.  There is a right and a left.  They are not interchangeable side to side.

As discussed here earlier, 1998 to 2001 they were model#5165

2001 to 2011, they were model# 6800

If you have a two piston caliper, it is from a 1997 or earlier California III or California 1100 and looks something like this, and will not be a direct fit to a Jackal:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:27:44 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 07:06:12 PM »
I just went and looked at my master and it's 13 mm with a 4 piston caliper the way I understand it's a little small ?Rudyr

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here