Author Topic: Norge oil  (Read 3161 times)

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
Norge oil
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
What's the consensus on readily available engine and trans oils here in the US?
2012 norge
Thanks

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: Norge oil
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
They exist...what's the concern?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »
I presume the issue is 'can I find them easily, especially if I don't have a dealer nearby?' You may want to plan ahead and order from any number of Internet sources including several of the excellent dealers who support this forum. If not, please refer to the many oil threads already existing!  :grin:

If your key concern is readily available, then you might consider the Liqui-Moly 10w60 sold at NAPA (available in 5 liter jugs for an attractive price). Not all stores have it in current stock, but it can be obtained quickly from hub stores or warehouse locations, usually in 2 days or less. See https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AOCLM2024_0290960101. Amsoil carries a 10w60 that's got good availability as well, though for some reason they label it as being for dirt bikes (likely they have a KTM rider in their marketing department). The Amsoil is a bit pricier, but you can get a discount with a larger purchase or by being a regular customer. See https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/synthetic-sae-10w-60-dirt-bike-oil/. Note that the Amsoil is suitable for wet clutch applications as well, where the Liqui-Moly is for dry-clutch use only.

For gearbox and final drive, I suggest Mobil1 75w90 - available at many automotive stores, this is a full synthetic that carries the specs for both sections of the drivetrain, allowing you to just keep a liter on the shelf for use as needed. See http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOB4/MOBIL1GEAR/N2365.oap?ck=Search_N2365_-1_-1&pt=N2365&ppt=C1985. There are similar products from a number of other reputable sources, but this one is easy to find and defnitely meets both specs. Some others meet one or the other but not both.

Note that there are a number of other good oils for these applications - for example, I like ELF/Total too - but they may not be as easily found nor as reasonably priced. I have used the Total and then the Liqui-Moly (when the Total brand became harder to get) in combination with the Mobil1 gear oil in my Norge for 120,000 miles and I see no oil-related problems or degradation.

For an obvious add-on, the most readily available quality filters that fit the bike are the Mobil1 M1-102 and the Bosch (I can't recall the number). Again, there are a number of good filters out there including the Wix and others that some riders like, but these two are high quality filters that can be found at normal auto parts stores or even Walmart.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

twowings

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
af1racing.com has an oil change kit with everything you need in one package...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »
What's the consensus on readily available engine and trans oils here in the US?
2012 norge
Thanks
Ha!  If you're expecting consensus about oils on this forum, you'll be disappointed (but entertained).
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
Thanks
That was what I was looking for
Norge owners with product experience and brands I can get locally at Napa or autozone etc
I live in small town and have to do all my own guzzi work

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »
I've always ran the Rotella T6 (blue jug) in all my previous bikes and my Breva 1100.  It's available at Autozone/Walmart and is about $24 or so for a gallon jug. 

It has all the certifications for motorcycles and is well liked on most message boards. 

However, oil discussions never end up pretty :D. 

06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
Make sure you have extra motor oil and a good funnel (with a long, narrow spout that fits into the opening). I seem to spill more oil on the ground than I manage to get into the motor itself.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
I think I remember someone on here had a neat little pump top that threads onto oil bottle and a thin hose to pump it directly into the bike without a funnel?
Anyone know about that?

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:56 PM »
Have you established whether it's a flat or roller tappet bike? Also if you're doing all your own work you need Guzzidiag or an alternatives and a manometer or equivalent.

Pete

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
I've always ran the Rotella T6 (blue jug) in all my previous bikes and my Breva 1100.  It's available at Autozone/Walmart and is about $24 or so for a gallon jug. 

It has all the certifications for motorcycles and is well liked on most message boards. 

However, oil discussions never end up pretty :D.
Rotella t6 is a 5w 40 weight oil. Are you saying it is an acceptable oil for my 07 Calvin that a 10-60 oil is recommended by the manufacturer? I hope this is accurate information because it is easy to get and cheap. Not challenging your response just making sure it's agreed on by other long time guzzi owners here. Thanks for the info.

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »
Just got Norge delivered few days ago
According to internet and moto international its roller but I will look and see.  Its a late 2012 engine bike with 4500 miles on it.
I have a spine LeMans and 850T so have most of what I need to maintain.  Lots of snow and ice here so just starting gathering info.  I noticed in the manual it called for 10w60 which I'm not famliar

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Also it has nice looking Michelin pilot road tire
Those are not stock right?

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »
That's a nice Norge...and it should get the recommended 10W60 oil.  In addition to the already mentioned sources, most BMW (car) dealers will have 10W60 in stock since that's a recommended oil for their high performance cars.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
Rotella t6 is a 5w 40 weight oil. Are you saying it is an acceptable oil for my 07 Calvin that a 10-60 oil is recommended by the manufacturer? I hope this is accurate information because it is easy to get and cheap. Not challenging your response just making sure it's agreed on by other long time guzzi owners here. Thanks for the info.

Well that's what I run so take it with a grain of salt.  Perhaps I need to do a change too LOL. 
06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 11:58:25 PM »

While some do run other weights in the modern big blocks, the general experience is that the bikes that are spec'ed for 10w60 actually do need 10w60. There have been numerous reports of issues with oil sensor false readings, and some other reports of more serious issues. I simply don't think it's worth the hassle. I say this even though the Rotella synthetic is my oil of choice for water-cooled motorcycles such as my previous V-Strom.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »
While some do run other weights in the modern big blocks, the general experience is that the bikes that are spec'ed for 10w60 actually do need 10w60. There have been numerous reports of issues with oil sensor false readings, and some other reports of more serious issues. I simply don't think it's worth the hassle. I say this even though the Rotella synthetic is my oil of choice for water-cooled motorcycles such as my previous V-Strom.
Thanks "It" for your opinion and I think I will adhere to the advise.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »
and the Bosch (I can't recall the number).

3330. Available anywhere.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »
I've used Rotella for years in some bikes but not the Guzzis.  I'm not smart enough to figure out if the 10-40 will provide protection.  I'd suspect not so I stick with 10-60 as specified.

You can remove the dip stick and then, if it's on your year Norge, the nut the dipstick goes into.  It backs right out with a (IIRC, I'm not in my shop) a 26mm socket.  Much easier to fill.  Mine's a 2014.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here