Author Topic: RTV gasket maker instead of gaskets  (Read 1875 times)

GeorgiaGuzzi

RTV gasket maker instead of gaskets
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
So, as I’ve dug into my Quota, I’ve discovered that someone is the previous ownership/mechanic history was a fan of black rtv gasket maker instead of using gaskets. When I took my intakes off they had no gaskets, just black rtv. Ditto my crankcase breather tube. As I was looking at my crankcase seal cover(?) it looks like I can see it around the perimeter. I’ll attach a photo. I never have liked to use the stuff INSTEAD of proper gaskets. At most I’ll smear some on the edge of a gasket to help seal but that’s the extent of it. Am I being too picky? Is it okay to use or should I pull suspect covers to install real gaskets? I’m a novice at Guzz’s.

Thanks, Robert

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: RTV gasket maker instead of gaskets
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:41:54 PM »
I agree with you but I have used it on one side of a gasket.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43:50 PM »
No, don’t use that crap.  The two lower bolts on the main seal cover do get some sealant because they are open to the crankcase but I wouldn’t use silicone.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »
I recently acquired an engine that I'm going through. Somebody decided that since they didn't have the O rings for the rocker block to head they would RTV it. I don't know if this engine was ever started after that, I hope not because the oil ports in the head and rocker block were clogged with RTV.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 06:53:51 AM »
I've had good luck with Permatex, The Right Stuff.
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 07:10:41 AM »
My 350 Chevy boat engine blew out the valley gaskets at the front and rear of the intake manifold. SB Chevys can be pressure cookers when hopped up. Good crankcase venting is important. The marine mechanics told me to use Permatex black silicone gasket maker instead of the cork or neoprene gaskets. No problems since. It does have it's applications. I don't think I'd ever use it instead of an O-ring. YMMV.
Larry
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:11:20 AM by larrys »
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 08:24:52 AM »
For flat metal flange-to-flange seals (primary covers, older engine valve covers, etc), I do like all the equipment manufacturers do and use an anaerobic sealer like LocTite 515 or 518 directly on the surfaces, instead of a paper gasket.   Seals great, won't break loose and get into oil passages, easy to take apart and clean.   I buy it at the local Caterpillar dealer.   It's what they use in their shop.

But so much motorcycle stuff uses specific joint sealers like o-rings, copper head gaskets, thick composite gaskets designed to maintain spacing, etc that you don't get the opportunity to use the anaerobic sealer a lot these days.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
I had a shop do warranty work on my EV. They applied so much RTV to the front timing chain cover, that is was dripping on the floor. Later I found bits floating in the pan. A-holes.
I hate that stuff.
I seldom use it. Though I admit, on the rear main bearing cover you are looking at, I wipe a thin layer over the paper gasket. I have seen a few of those leak, and I do NOT want to go back in there if I can help it. And as mentioned, the two lower bolts require a sealant.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 09:13:26 AM »
I never use RTV anywhere on the engine, transmission or rear drive. Sign of a pi$$ poor job IMO. The only sealers I use on the drivetrain are Hondabond 4 and Permatex Super 300 (or Permatex Aviation which is basically the same thing).
Charlie

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it and now know how to proceed. 😎

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 10:37:28 AM »
Haven't read through all the posts, or used on a Guzzi motor (yet), but having rebuilt several Porsche and VW Air cooled motors, we use Curil K2 to seal the engine cases metal on metal, no gaskets. Also use Curil T for cyl bases to case, and all areas with gaskets. NO leaks, ever (yet). For sealing threaded components Loctite 565.  All remain soft and wipe off/cleanup with mineral spirits on disassembly.  I use it on all surfaces now, with or without a gasket, and will not use RTV ever again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:40:59 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »
For flat metal flange-to-flange seals (primary covers, older engine valve covers, etc), I do like all the equipment manufacturers do and use an anaerobic sealer like LocTite 515 or 518 directly on the surfaces, instead of a paper gasket.   Seals great, won't break loose and get into oil passages, easy to take apart and clean.   I buy it at the local Caterpillar dealer.   It's what they use in their shop.

But so much motorcycle stuff uses specific joint sealers like o-rings, copper head gaskets, thick composite gaskets designed to maintain spacing, etc that you don't get the opportunity to use the anaerobic sealer a lot these days.

Lannis

I’ve used Loctite 515 on Guzzi cylinder bases instead of a base gasket when setting the squish on the combustion chamber with very good results.  The secret is to degrease the surface as if you were going to paint.  Mike Rich of Mike Rich Motorsport doesn’t like it because because then there is no cushion on the cylinder but I’ve had good results  lasting hundreds of thousands of miles
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 12:35:49 PM »
When I worked on radial aircraft engines we used Permatex Ultra Copper on almost every gasket. We smeared a very thin coat with a finger on both sides of the gasket. We hardly ever had a leak and if we did it was usually on a valve cover and that we be because it didn't get resurfaced properly. An advantage of the Ultra Copper was that it would come apart easily down the road. On an outboard I was working on prior to winter get shelved but I pulled it out last week and had to pull the powerhead last week. It came right apart with the gasket intact. Good stuff.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 08:10:23 PM »
GeorgiaGuzzi

Its not an "O Ring" ,

Its not a "Head Gasket"

Its not an "Exaust Gasket"

But it is everything else !  Apply it on both sides.  Let it set for a while between application and assembly , don't tighten till it sets for an hour either,  so it all don't squish out , its the best gasket you can ever have its a perfect fit ! 

On applications like the top cam cover where the cam bearings are the aluminum halves that hold the cam there IS NO GASKET  .    I like the ultra Gray , its full bodied and it don't show-up on aluminum so much.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:27:12 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here