Author Topic: An honest opinion please  (Read 11644 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: An honest opinion please
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2019, 02:26:21 PM »
Having those caps short is pretty pricey, though... if they burn out your Cat, no? Wait... you have warranty, right?
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2019, 02:40:57 PM »
Having those caps short is pretty pricey, though... if they burn out your Cat, no? Wait... you have warranty, right?

I still have the originals in my 2013 too.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
Lol...reminds me of my last demo ride in spring of '16 before I bought my V7ii .  The dealer up here was nice enough to offer me a v7ii demo ride for the afternoon.  When I got there for the ride he said "Piaggio asked that I remove the stock exhaust from the demo and send it to another dealer for warranty".  At the time, not knowing about the plug cap issue, I wondered why they'd need to do that...he stole the mufflers from another V7 and sent me on my way..

Well I bought the bike, and the caps are updated along with the fuel filter...

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
+1
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2019, 03:04:23 PM »

Happened to my bike, my wife's bike... saw one in the service area of the dealer, and talked to another at bike night that had the issue. Enough to make me paranoid. I know it's a YMMV thing, but I guess we prioritize our own experiences.

Offline Patriarch

• New Egg
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2019, 04:13:51 PM »
ALL,

I WANT the 2018 Black Carbon for all the right reasons which I won't list because you already know all the reasons.  :thumb:

After my short meeting with a local moto shop repair today - very congenial - my confidence was shaken. The gentleman there had to open a H-U-G-E service directory to locate make, model, etc - and couldn't find it. He would have been my back up for all the basic maint work and he appeared to be on the bottom of a steep learning curve. There were other "signs" during the meeting that did not help. Good intentions on his part? Yes. I'll leave it at that.

Hugely disappointed at the moment, I'm going to put all this to rest for awhile and consider my options. Please know that I am very grateful not only for all the experience & advice provided here but for the heartfelt support.

Be well!

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2019, 05:03:51 PM »

P - good luck with whatever you decide.

Happened to my bike, my wife's bike... saw one in the service area of the dealer, and talked to another at bike night that had the issue. Enough to make me paranoid. I know it's a YMMV thing, but I guess we prioritize our own experiences.

I suspect how much care one takes in handling them plays a part. I suspect little to no care is taken by most service departments and many owners.

That said I'm sure someone could manage to damage one even when taking care.

I'll change mine out on the 13 when I change spark plugs again.

Till then I simply watch for symptoms of any problems. If something occurs I'll shut it down and diagnose it.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 05:12:40 PM »
Time has a way of sorting these things out patriarch. With ya whatever you decide. Keep us updated.

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 05:34:06 PM »
Ok, here's the deal. I'm no spring chicken, either.. and you are screwing up if you buy a motorcycle with your head instead of your heart. I did that once.. never again.
Go to Cadre Cycles in Cincinnati.(!) Yes, I'm aware it is a good distance away. Enzo has several small blocks at good prices, is honest, and stands behind his work. Buy your bike of choice. You'll be glad you did. You only get a chance to buy your last bike once. :smiley:
Disclaimer: I have no dawg in this fight. Just call Enzo and tell him the denizens of WildGuzzi sent you..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 07:59:10 AM »
 :thumb: Yes Chuck!
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2019, 08:21:25 AM »

Go to Cadre Cycles in Cincinnati.(!) Yes, I'm aware it is a good distance away. Enzo has several small blocks at good prices, is honest, and stands behind his work. Buy your bike of choice. You'll be glad you did. You only get a chance to buy your last bike once. :smiley:

Disclaimer: I have no dawg in this fight. Just call Enzo and tell him the denizens of WildGuzzi sent you..

OR ....

Go to Moto Richmond in Richmond, VA (!) Yes, I'm aware it is a good distance away. Chelsea has several small blocks at good prices, is honest, and stands behind her work. Buy your bike of choice. You'll be glad you did. You only get a chance to buy your last bike once. :smiley:

Disclaimer: I have no dawg in this fight. Just call Chelsea and tell her the denizens of WildGuzzi sent you..

Lannis (that was easy)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:49 AM »
Go SOMEWHERE. Find a dealer that has them in stock and will let you ride various flavors of the V7 and V9.

It’s one thing to read about them, drool over the photos, watch videos and listen to the biased opinions of folks who want to convince you that whatever they bought is the best possible choice for you. There are differences in ergos, performance and riding characteristics that will decide it for you.

If the dealer doesn’t have all the options you’re considering, there is probably an owner within a reasonable distance who might let you take a spin. If it truly is the last bike you plan to buy, don’t buy it without a butt-test.

And I wouldn’t worry all that much about distance to the dealer. Initial setup and major service can be scheduled. Routine maintenance is within the competence of any decent mechanic — especially given the availability of service manuals and expert advice online.

The new models have a much better reputation for reliability than the old. Honestly, the only real concern is parts. Most of the ordinary consumables are easy to find online, but replacements from Italy sometimes require patience.

All that said, I have more fun per mile on my V9 than any of the bikes I’ve owned and I have no hesitation about hopping on for a half-hour or a week in the saddle.

But don’t listen to me, or any of these other pro-or-con propagandists. Take a couple of test rides. You may find your head and heart agree after all.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
There is little doubt that modern Guzzis will experience more issues than e.g. a Honda; as has been said several times above, Guzzis require more patience and owner involvement than Japanese bikes or even new Triumphs. But, if you're inclined to overlook some foibles like sudden leaks from the shaft drive, remote dealers, and can do some wrenching, few bikes are as satisfying to own as a Guzzi.

However, if I was you, I'd have a Honda CB1100 in a minute; you get significantly more bike and a more masterful touring companion due to better suspension, dual discs up front, far more power, and ultimately better build quality, than with a Guzzi V7. And the same classic look that is just as authentic for Honda as the V7 is for Guzzi. The Guzzi will have a bit more of that elusive trait "character," hard as that is to define. Also, do you have a Triumph dealer nearby? They are making terrific bikes these days, with a far larger dealer network than Guzzi's.
http://powersports.honda.com/standard/2017/cb1100.aspx

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:32:19 AM by Kristian »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »
There is little doubt that modern Guzzis will experience more issues than e.g. a Honda; as has been said several times above, Guzzis require more patience and owner involvement than Japanese bikes or even new Triumphs. But, if you're inclined to overlook some foibles like sudden leaks from the shaft drive, remote dealers, and can do some wrenching, few bikes are as satisfying to own as a Guzzi.

However, if I was you, I'd have a Honda CB1100 in a minute; you get significantly more bike and a more masterful touring companion due to better suspension, dual discs up front, far more power, and ultimately better build quality, than with a Guzzi V7. And the same classic look that is just as authentic for Honda as the V7 is for Guzzi. The Guzzi will have a bit more of that elusive trait "character," hard as that is to define. Also, do you have a Triumph dealer nearby? They are making terrific bikes these days, with a far larger dealer network than Guzzi's.
http://powersports.honda.com/standard/2017/cb1100.aspx

I respectfully, but passionately, disagree.

The CB1100 is retro in looks alone... a pretty, pseudo-late 70s/early 80s giftwrap around *thoroughly* modern and "reliable as a Singer Sewing Machine and about as exciting" guts. It falls victim the same things as other "modern retros"... aside from Guzzi and Royal Enfield. New bikes styled to look old.

I'm a giant fan of the vintage fours from Honda. Love them. The CB750 still sits atop my mountain of most beloved bikes ever. I practically ran to my dealer, cash in hand to buy the 1100 when it came out. It left me cold. Well built, well thought out, by all measures, a great bike. But when it comes to, as you say, "character"... it had zero.  Not to mention the price difference, plus the bump in insurance costs for the displacement.

and, around here at least, the headache of trying to get the insurance company to understand that the "CB" is NOT a "CBR".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:15:16 PM by Toecutter »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2019, 06:15:20 PM »
OR ....

Go to Moto Richmond in Richmond, VA (!) Yes, I'm aware it is a good distance away. Chelsea has several small blocks at good prices, is honest, and stands behind her work. Buy your bike of choice. You'll be glad you did. You only get a chance to buy your last bike once. :smiley:

Disclaimer: I have no dawg in this fight. Just call Chelsea and tell her the denizens of WildGuzzi sent you..

Lannis (that was easy)

OR...

Call the folks at AF1 Racing in Austin, Texas and have them ship one to you.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »
Lots of great advice here.

Reliability is relative, to bike, original setup, riding style, maintenance habits.  I have a 2007 Griso that I bought from the original owner, 15K miles, and never one issue. I have a 2014 Norge that I bought in 2016 with 800 (or so) miles on it. I got it for a steal ($6K) knowing it had issues. Not sure where or how, but one of the cams was off a tooth and the bike would not rev past 6K RPM. Long story and still a mystery, but once I got that sorted, the next 11K miles have been trouble free with the exception of the grub screws in one head weeping oil.

More related to your interests, I also have a 2016 V7ii Stornello that I have had since this summer. It now has 3K miles, all trouble free, though the front MC leaked brake fluid on the cap/reservoir seal. The issue was it was overfilled. Some have gone to the dealer for a replacement cover, I removed fluid to the 1/2 mark, just above the sight glass and no issues.

Here are a few things to consider.

- Guzzi  V7/V9 First service, valve adjust is 600-900 miles (models vary) This is important service. If you buy new, this will be an issue for you pretty quickly.

- Valve adjustments and Oil Change/Gear change intervals are MUCH shorter than many Japanese brands. Depending on how much you ride, if you can't do the servicing your self, and don't have a decent trustworthy and KNOWLEDGEABLE local indy shop, and are forced to go to a dealer, you may get tired of the bike fast.

- As others have said, 90% of the servicing on the Guzzi is simple and straightforward, the simplicity is genius. But if you dont want to worry about any of that, than dealer access of solid mechanic is a must.

- WG is a great resource for many things and if you share your location, I bet someone knows a decent trusted shop nearer to you than the dealer, and more than likely even a local guzzi rider willing to work for beer ;-) Warranty work may be an issue, but if you get a good one unlikely. But you never know.

I wouldn't be too worried about reliability, I'd be thinking more about maintenance.  Take your time, find the right bike, so many options these days....  If I was looking for a non Guzzi, my ONLY other choice would be the Kawasaki Z900RS.... I think the best effort yet at the classic UJM.

Keep riding brother!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:27:52 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »
The CB1100 is retro in looks alone... a pretty, pseudo-late 70s/early 80s giftwrap around *thoroughly* modern and "reliable as a Singer Sewing Machine and about as exciting" guts. It falls victim the same things as other "modern retros"... aside from Guzzi and Royal Enfield. New bikes styled to look old.

The CB is quite old fashioned through and through, including the steel frame, wire wheels, and aircooled four; it's just engineered properly using modern tech.

And, you'll never produce beautiful clothes with an unreliable sewing machine, particularly if you don't know how to repair it and your service center is far away. You'll fix that problem by not making clothes.

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2019, 11:36:36 PM »
Patriarch: Congratulations on deciding on the Carbon Black. The V7 is my choice because of the seating position. The other differences are minor.

Regarding the mechanic not finding it in his book: It is a new model, but essentially a red-headed Stone. Service and parts manuals are available as PDFs at low cost, and can be found for free. IIRC I brought a thumb drive to my dealer and he loaded them n/c. The questions about your local mechanic are: is he a competent mechanic and is he honest? If he is, he will like working on the V7.

I am surprised that no one mention this: If you should have troubles while traveling you are not alone! Join the Moto Guzzi National Owners Club - mgnoc.com - and download the MGNOC Contact Directory. It is a list of MG owners, sorted by state, who are willing to help, with info about what they can help with. Plus, there is this forum, of course.

I ride a V7II Stone, my riding buddy just bought a V7III Stone. If you have more questions feel free to contact me directly.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2019, 11:43:30 PM »
I've had a Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, BMW R1150GS and 4 Moto Guzzi's. 3 of those bikes were new the others second hand. I've had to fix things on all of them at some point especially the Ducati. I've only sat on the V9 and the V7. I didn't really like them so I have not ridden either. It's your choice if you like the V7 go for it I don't think you will be disappointed. As for maintenance take it back to the dealer it's an excuse for a ride.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:44:30 PM by stubbie »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:39 AM »
Well, I had a real issue with my V 7 Stone from 2013. A spring in the gearbox broke, so the shifting mechanism had to be dismantled. But: it is the old gearbox that basically is in use since 1977. And it is not known for issues to my knowledge. And: from the V7 II on this gearbox is history. So I think I had a misfortune. Do I still like my Guzzi? You bet. It is a sweet little motorcycle.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2019, 02:30:31 AM »
One thing I'll say for you mate.
You sure know how to get a conversation started..

Offline Patriarch

• New Egg
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2019, 09:24:29 PM »
Thanks Huzo - just an honest request for help followed by GREAT people doing their best to assist with a problematic decision - weighing all the pros and cons.

I apologize for being late with my update - could not be helped. While I believe many here will not understand - because they ARE mechanically inclined - I decided not to go with MG. Those who said choose with your heart and not your head - you are absolutely right. But riding to some of the dealerships a few recommended - 500 to 1,000 miles one way!! - just isn't doable for this hard working rider. I've already stated why I lost confidence in the local shop and 125 miles thru rough traffic to the MG dealer - and my bucket list trip coming up later this year...

At the moment I am still looking & undecided as I have to make this choice the right one. Please know that I was overwhelmed by the sincerity and kindness expressed in all your posts.

Many thanks & God Bless.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »
Thanks Huzo - just an honest request for help followed by GREAT people doing their best to assist with a problematic decision - weighing all the pros and cons.

I apologize for being late with my update - could not be helped. While I believe many here will not understand - because they ARE mechanically inclined - I decided not to go with MG. Those who said choose with your heart and not your head - you are absolutely right. But riding to some of the dealerships a few recommended - 500 to 1,000 miles one way!! - just isn't doable for this hard working rider. I've already stated why I lost confidence in the local shop and 125 miles thru rough traffic to the MG dealer - and my bucket list trip coming up later this year...

At the moment I am still looking & undecided as I have to make this choice the right one. Please know that I was overwhelmed by the sincerity and kindness expressed in all your posts.

Many thanks & God Bless.

No need to run off. Let us know what you get, and hang around. Possibly come to a rally or breakfast in your area. Cheers!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
No need to apologize mate, a good conversation that has not degenerated into a slanging match.
Glad to have you here... :thumb:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2019, 06:21:43 AM »
Good luck with whatever you end up on. And as was said..  stop in, and fill us in on the details!!  We would love to hear what you end up with, and how the trip goes.
Paul B

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »
I respect your decision patriarch.
As others have said though, hang around here.
Many of us have multiple bikes that aren’t MG. Community around bikes is what this forum is largely about I have found. Sure there is overwhelming support and help for Guzzi’s but we’re all bikers or riders if you prefer, at heart.
If I were you I'd look at and ride of course, the new Honda 750. Even dare to try the DCT, gasp.....!

Blessings,
inditx aka Jack
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:02:11 PM by inditx »
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »
No worries Patriarch, ride what you love, love what you ride.  Better not ride a Guzzi though, it will get in your blood.........

I bet a local WG rider or other MG owner in your area could help out or point you to a solid indy mechanic.

That said, be sure to check out the Kawasaki Z900RS.... Is IMO one of the nicest non Guzzi Retro bikes, far nicer than the Triumphs.  Whatever you choose, you're always welcome here, and RIDE SAFE!
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2019, 01:39:19 PM »
For a low maintenance and nearly bullet proof bike, I'd suggest you head down to your nearest Harley-Davidson dealership and test ride whichever version of the Sportster that appeals to you the most.  The Roadster is going to be the best handling.  All of them can have the bars/seats/pegs/controls changed easily to whatever fits you best.  The stock exhaust system is not noisy.  There are plenty of good clean used ones available if you decide not to buy new.  I've owned three Guzzis and loved them.  Harleys are the closest to a Guzzi in feel and there isn't a lower maintenance bike or better dealership network around.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »
You will pay premiums for anything related to Harley however.
A lot of my buddies ride em and love them.
Just saying they are more costly that’s all.

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2019, 05:39:58 AM »
You will pay premiums for anything related to Harley however.
A lot of my buddies ride em and love them.
Just saying they are more costly that’s all.

inditx

You think so? Then try do buy and service a Harley in Germany...
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here