Author Topic: Sorting my Griso 1100 - Handle Bars, foot pegs, etc  (Read 314 times)

Online CanBike

• New Egg
Sorting my Griso 1100 - Handle Bars, foot pegs, etc
« on: April 28, 2024, 09:45:27 PM »
Just purchased a very nice 2007 Griso 1100, and I'd like to sort out a few things:

The handle bars feel too wide. The bike had tiny bar end mirrors, and the bar end weights were missing. I was thinking of installing risers, and maybe new bars. Or I might just cut a smidgen off the bars. But this would remove the threads for the factory weights. I'd go with friction fit weights and a better quality end mirror, maybe clamping style. No real harm I think? Or silly to ruin factory bars?

The bike came with new Knight Design lowering pegs in a bag. I think I might like them as my legs are a bit cramped. The end of the shift lever and brake pedal seem to have some adjustment. Wonder if this is enough adjustment to accommodate the lowered pegs?

Bike has a GPR exhaust can. A bit loud, but I might live with it. Exhaust smells very gassy, but I'll give the bike a full tune-up and see if that helps at all. I have some old DB killers I could maybe try to fit. I suspect it's never been remapped. I downloaded the map today and will send it to Beetle to see if it's factory.

I had a Sport 1200 for a season, but always wanted to try a Griso. I'm hoping this engine is very close to the power and feel of the 2v 1200. I suspect it will be, as it's almost the identical engine? It's really a beautiful bike and I'm very pleased to have it in the garage. Here's a few pics:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 09:46:26 PM by CanBike »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Sorting my Griso 1100 - Handle Bars, foot pegs, etc
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 01:12:16 AM »
I have only ridden one 1100 Griso and it felt exactly like my 2 VPC 1200 (1151 cc) Norge power wise.
Like you, I always felt that the ‘bars were unnecessarily wide, especially for something that does not have a reputation for tank slippers and the like.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 03:39:17 AM »
I found the same on mine even with 1-in spacer underneath the handlebar mount I found the grips to be a bit too far apart and forward. I ended up putting a pair of Mana bars on it and the position is now perfect. The Mana bars were a perfect bolt on solution. I also have the knight lowering pegs and longer adjustable toe lever mounts.

As for performance comparison, I also have a 1200 Sport. Both being four valve motors (2v heads) The motors feel very similar in power character and response but the 1100 is obviously lower in horsepower and torque. I like both. The 1200 Sport is like you put a layer of fine velvet over the more raw GRiSO.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 03:43:18 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 11:59:24 AM »
I found the same on mine even with 1-in spacer underneath the handlebar mount I found the grips to be a bit too far apart and forward. I ended up putting a pair of Mana bars on it and the position is now perfect. The Mana bars were a perfect bolt on solution. I also have the knight lowering pegs and longer adjustable toe lever mounts.

As for performance comparison, I also have a 1200 Sport. Both being four valve motors (2v heads) The motors feel very similar in power character and response but the 1100 is obviously lower in horsepower and torque. I like both. The 1200 Sport is like you put a layer of fine velvet over the more raw GRiSO.

I might just commit and cut a smidgen off of the stock bars.

Yeah, I loved my 2v 1200, which I sold. It's currently for sale by the new owner, and I thought about buying it back, but I really wanted to try a Griso. Thought hard about the 8v, but something always drew me to the 1100. Plus it looks so badass!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 11:59:24 AM »

Online CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 12:00:35 PM »
I have only ridden one 1100 Griso and it felt exactly like my 2 VPC 1200 (1151 cc) Norge power wise.
Like you, I always felt that the ‘bars were unnecessarily wide, especially for something that does not have a reputation for tank slippers and the like.

I wonder if the bar end weights make a big difference in the handle bar vibes?

Online CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 12:07:49 PM »
I pulled the canister. Fairly straight forward. I used small button heads in the intake track although I hear some guys run a "balance" tube.

I also found two hoses from the airbox (unrelated to the canister) One hose is a drain from the deepest part of the box, the other is a hose near the intersection of the TB boots. Both hoses are plugged with rubber plugs. But they don't have the "slits" in the rubber plug. Maybe they act as a "french drain" and then the fluid just evaporates slowly out of the hoses back and back into the intake?

There was a lso a hose to the rear tail that wasn't connected to anything. Wonder if it was a holdover from when the canister was in the tail vs under/beside the transmission?

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 10:50:35 AM »
If you put the KD pegs on you will need to also buy the KD adjustable toe peg for the brake lever.  You can make the factory gearshift work just fine.

https://knightdesignllc.com/aprilia-moto-guzzi-lowered-toe-pegs/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 10:51:24 AM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 03:27:31 PM »
Let me disagree, and suggest that the new owner let his legs adapt to the new position for a while. The Griso's footpegs are already farther down than my stock T3's!

The Griso is designed for spirited riding, and the rider is intended to ride like a jockey. Feet high, balls of the feet on top of the pegs. This is how performance riders do it.

The wide handlebars are a feature that brings the rider closer to the tank, also good for handling. They are not intended for extra leverage.

Some riders adapt their Grisos for Interstates. They try to attain the position of a buggy driver instead of a horse rider. Don't be one of those.

If your legs cramp up early in the season before they readjust to the jockey position, this is only Guzzi's way of encouraging you to move to a better climate.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Mother Road Motorsports is Tulsa's exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer
Oklahoma's premier Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa and now Ducati dealer
Great service, Great selection, Friendly Environment! Come see us on Route 66.
Advertise Here