Author Topic: Phase sensor is removed, have the shim stack, but where's the o ring?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Is it possible that some Guzzi engines do not use an o ring between the phase sensor and the block?  I was able to get to the phase sensor rather easily after removing the left header pipe, and what appears to be a hose that serves the crankcase ventilation system.  I have the sensor and shim stack removed, but I see no sign of an old o ring.  I have a new o ring, but since the shim stack must be critical to the air gap, it seems like the o ring would throw that completely off if it was mashed between the shim stack and the engine block.  And it doesn't appear that the o ring fits inside the hole in the shim stack.

What am I missing here?

Bob

1200 Sport

UPDATE:  Forget the question.  There was still one shim stuck to the engine block, and the o ring was where it was supposed to be .... in the place machined for it, under the shim.  This is one fiddly way of attempting to seal the sensor.  3Bond to the rescue!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:11:46 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Phase sensor is removed, have the shim stack, but where's the o ring?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
FWIW, sometimes the sensor itself is leaky.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Phase sensor is removed, have the shim stack, but where's the o ring?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »

UPDATE:  Forget the question.  There was still one shim stuck to the engine block, and the o ring was where it was supposed to be .... in the place machined for it, under the shim.  This is one fiddly way of attempting to seal the sensor.  3Bond to the rescue!

BTDT, one of the shims sticks and is hard to see.
Degrease the sensor. Put the shims in place. Use a new oring. Wipe the sensor body with sealant. I have seen where small cracks in the sensor body let oil leak past the o-ring if you don't seal the plastic.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here