Author Topic: Fossil and azguzzirep's Roamer threadfest  (Read 13838 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V9 Roamer - my first ride
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2016, 06:20:34 AM »
But, as you say, preconceived notions work both ways.  How can you say you don't hear what I'm hearing when further down in this thread Fossil says he went back and rode his V7 on the very same roads and it felt much more "nimble and agile"???

The V7 being "more nimble and agile" doesn't necessarily equate to the Roamer or Bobber being horrible.

It's too subjective a description and it depends too much on Fossil's tastes, perceptions, hell his physical size plays a part, the ergos play a part, things that are changeable like bars or tire size/type all play a part. Shyte raise the rear an inch or drop the forks in the trees and it changes.

Nah, I'm not only not hearing what you're hearing, I'm not caring if I do.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fossil and azguzzirep's Roamer threadfest
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 06:43:29 AM »
I like the tank of the V7 Stone, the hard parts of the Roamer, and yeah, I kinda dig the tires on the Bobber.  Put those together and call it a Boner?  I've really got a boner for the Boner.   :boozing:

I would definitely NOT suggest standing up on the pegs while riding the Boner with a boner!

:grin:
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
I like the tank of the V7 Stone, the hard parts of the Roamer, and yeah, I kinda dig the tires on the Bobber.  Put those together and call it a Boner?  I've really got a boner for the Boner.   :boozing:

A V7 seat and fuel tank should bolt right onto a V9.

Be sure to add white walls to the fat tires, and paint the fuel tank with bass boat metal flake.  That would complete the look.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:14 AM »

The acceleration is brisk. MUCH stronger than that of my 37 kW V7. It follows the throttle absolut directly. But this means that it runs into the limiter all the time. And then there is that nasty little red light in the instrument... And this bike is brand-new. It has not loosened up in any way. Following an accelerating Ducati Scrambler was no problem at all.

This can't be good for a new bike, can you explain that a little further
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:14 AM »

bpreynolds

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »

Dangit.  You are correct.  Understand this is not easy for me, but I cede my point.  My bad.  Btw, you are brilliant, BP.  Your initial post that only said Fossil's comments are similar to what other reviewers have stated is/was spot on.  It's just that I don't think those comments about the bike's handling can be applied to anyone beyond those same reviewers

Oh geez, Kev.  No need to be so gracious.  But thanks.   :boozing: 

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »
The red light I mentioned was indicating overrevving. Please remember it has no tachometer (funny! in German the tachometer indicates the absolute velocity of the vehicle...). The bike really has a good acceleration. A yellow light indicates the working of the antislip. It could be seen fairly often.

Interesting: yesterday I again was at my dealer to order some small parts from Guzzi Garage for my V7. There I met some riders in my age (about 60 and a bit older) who just returned from a testride with the Roamer. They were Harley - owners (Road King and the like). And they were looking for something smaller, more agile, but still - well - not "normal", but valuable in a way . They were very pleased with the Roamer.

For information: This http://www.fsz-lueneburg.de/adac/mehr-ueber-uns-trainingsanlage.htm is the track on which we could test the bikes. We used different parts and directions at each lap. What you can�t see: at the "9" there is a hill that must be crossed. And at the "10" my bike had the nice scraping sound...

Fun! And it�s only 8 minutes from my home!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:43:40 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

bpreynolds

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2016, 12:43:36 PM »
The red light I mentioned was indicating overrevving. Please remember it has no tachometer (funny! in German the tachometer indicates the absolute velocity of the vehicle...). The bike really has a good acceleration. A yellow light indicates the working of the antislip. It could be seen fairly often.

Interesting: yesterday I again was at my dealer to order some small parts from Guzzi Garage for my V7. There I met some riders in my age (about 60 and a bit older) who just returned from a testride with the Roamer. They were Harley - owners (Road King and the like). And they were looking for something smaller, more agile, but still - well - not "normal", but valuable in a way . They were very pleased with the Roamer.

Hey Fossil, do you feel like the Roamer's 850 engine had significantly stronger roll on than your V7?  How did the Roamer's engine feel at say highway speeds as compared with your V7?

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
A yellow light indicates the working of the antislip. It could be seen fairly often.
I learned that, every time the bike is started, the antislip is automatically regulated in "2" mode, that's the more active.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »
The V7 in comparison (!) seems to react a bit delayed to my throttle inputs in the immediate comparison. The V9 reminds me of much stronger bikes (I e.g. had a Ducati Monster 1200 from my dealer for 2 days). I don�t want to claim the Roamer is nearly as strong as the (wonderful) Monster. But the way how it reacts is comparable in the character. Both Guzzis are stable at speeds around 140 km/h. The V7 has advantage here because of the more forward-orientated seating, the Roamer because of he bigger front wheel.

The V9 engine felt more "modern" than that of the smaller Guzzi. It reacted faster, the sound contains less mechanical sound, but seems to be a bit sterile. Don�t get me wrong here: it still sounds phantastic.

"I learned that, every time the bike is started, the antislip is automatically regulated in "2" mode, that's the more active." This can absolutely be. I had no time to get into the particulars of the operation of these aids, as we took of as soon I said that I wanted to participate in the test ride.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:56:54 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »
Oh geez, Kev.  No need to be so gracious.  But thanks.   :boozing:

Actually for the record it's very easy for me to cede my point....

...on the rare occasion a worthy counter argument is put forth. :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »
Actually for the record it's very easy for me to cede my point....

...on the rare occasion a worthy counter argument is put forth. :boozing:

:laugh:  :thumb:  Notice here that you do not deny that I am brilliant. 

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
:laugh:  :thumb:  Notice here that you do not deny that I am brilliant.

You did get rid of a smallblock? I'll let those facts speak for themselves.

:boozing:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:14:44 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
Rumor has it that Stephen Adams still doesn't fit  :shocked:

Dusty

Yeah well, 7 foot 14 or summit. :grin: Thunder doing ok I see too.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
Yeah well, 7 foot 14 or summit. :grin: Thunder doing ok I see too.

The Thunder probably aren't going to win it all , but have had a good season . Stephen has become
a spokesman for a bank here and uses lots of Kiwi slang , subtitles are employed , it is truly amusing :laugh: :laugh: His appearance would indicate he is going feral  :shocked: :grin:

Dusty

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
The V7 in comparison (!) seems to react a bit delayed to my throttle inputs in the immediate comparison. The V9 reminds me of much stronger bikes (I e.g. had a Ducati Monster 1200 from my dealer for 2 days). I don�t want to claim the Roamer is nearly as strong as the (wonderful) Monster. But the way how it reacts is comparable in the character. Both Guzzis are stable at speeds around 140 km/h. The V7 has advantage here because of the more forward-orientated seating, the Roamer because of he bigger front wheel.

I have exactly the same experience with my stock V65 engine making 38 rwhp against the 44 rwhp modified engine.  Though you might say it's only about 15% difference, it's reaction to throttle and "BIG" feeling characteristic is pretty substantial. That is about exactly the difference with these two power plants.  This should be a hoot of an engine.   
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here