Author Topic: V7iii - things that need attention from the start  (Read 16776 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
V7iii - things that need attention from the start
« on: January 18, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
There's a new V7iii (2017 holdover) in my future.  I'm trying to come up with a list of things to do immediately to the bike. I'll likely have the dealer do a number of them; it's not like we're in the middle of riding weather anyway.

Anyone know if the new V7 iii's still need the NGK spark plug boot change? 
If yes, someone (Artem) suggested these would work (love WildGuzzi search):  "Although many claim "NGK 8072 XD05F Plug Caps" fit V7III 2017-..., they DO NOT. V7III have different to V7II cover. I've tried few options and "NGK 8052 VD05F Plug Cap" do the job with "NGK 2306 CPR8EA-9 Standard Plugs""

I'll have the fuel filter replaced with all-metal.
I'll have them lube the splines.  Sounds like they're dryyyyyy a lot of the time coming from the factory.
I will check the clutch cable and make sure it's no longer sitting right on the cylinder.  If it is, I'll (loosely) zip tie it up.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7iii - things that need attention from the start
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
There's a new V7iii (2017 holdover) in my future.  I'm trying to come up with a list of things to do immediately to the bike. I'll likely have the dealer do a number of them; it's not like we're in the middle of riding weather anyway.

Anyone know if the new V7 iii's still need the NGK spark plug boot change? 
If yes, someone (Artem) suggested these would work (love WildGuzzi search):  "Although many claim "NGK 8072 XD05F Plug Caps" fit V7III 2017-..., they DO NOT. V7III have different to V7II cover. I've tried few options and "NGK 8052 VD05F Plug Cap" do the job with "NGK 2306 CPR8EA-9 Standard Plugs""

I'll have the fuel filter replaced with all-metal.
I'll have them lube the splines.  Sounds like they're dryyyyyy a lot of the time coming from the factory.
I will check the clutch cable and make sure it's no longer sitting right on the cylinder.  If it is, I'll (loosely) zip tie it up.

I'm not doing any of that crap to our new Carbon.

We're going to ride it, then perform the first service and SEE if any of those things are needed.

I also think the whole spline lube crap (not recommended by the factory but slavishly pursued to by former BMW owners around here is just a case of paranoia).

If either of my smallblocks gets to 100k miles an needs a coupler I'll replace it then.

If my fuel filter doesn't fail in the first 1000 miles, it's not going to anytime soon, I'll replace it IF and when the tank ever has to come off.

etc.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »
Rhodan,

There was a recall a while ago re rear brake cable chafing on bodywork, possibly failing.  Easy to fix. 

Joe

P.S.  About your screen name, didn't "Rhodan" battle Godzilla?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
P.S.  About your screen name, didn't "Rhodan" battle Godzilla?

Rhodan did indeed.  Given it up recently due to arthritic knees.

I'd forgotten about the recall, thank you.  I'll make sure they cover that if it's needed. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
Kev, you'll undoutedly be fine. 

I'm having them check the splines on my bike.  They're happy to do it as part of their setup fees so two thumbs up.  It'll be interesting to hear what they find.

My older V7 went years on the half metal fuel filter but easy enough to change so I'm having them do it now.

They said no worries on these NGK plugs though they've dealt with the issue on older bikes.

As Joe called out, I'm going to check on the recall.

Overall really pleased with the new dealership so far.

Moto

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:45:14 PM »
I'd be more concerned about the swing arm bearing lubrication. I believe this has been reported as a continuing problem for the small blocks (as well as the big blocks), but I could be mistaken.

It could wait till the first service interval or later, but maybe you can negotiate a better deal for the service if you do it now.

Moto

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
Thanks Moto, that's small block as well as CARC?  I'd seen a couple CARC posts but breezed by them because I didn't think they applied to this bike.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »
I've never heard Roper or others talk about removing the swingarm on smallblocks for greasing.

And unless I'm getting forgetful I've also never heard him or Guzzisteve suggest we need to remove the driveshaft to grease the splines, though I did once on the Stone.

But reading the more recent thread on the subject has me thinking there's an engineered weak point designed to take the wear and be replaced a LONG time from now and greasing doesn't seem to change that so....

YMMV

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »

swinging arm bearings are sealed on sb, greased from supplier
think new is same
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:07:35 PM by jacksonracingcomau »

Moto

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 10:06:58 PM »
I must be wrong about remembering a swing arm grease problem on the small blocks. Sigh.

Moto

Offline Mean Mr. Mustard

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
The stock suspension on my '17 VIII Special trashed my back. I replaced it with Ikon shocks and springs. It now handles better and my back couldn't be happier!
"All the world is a birthday cake. Take a piece, but not too much!" -Beatle George

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 05:41:40 AM »
v7/3 and v9 have 2 uj’s no weak link swiveling coupler , system should be much better but still interesting whether factory assemble dry or lubed
swinging arm bearings are sealed on sb, greased from supplier
think new is same

V7 111 has single u joint and yes swingarm bearings are sealed races.
On mine the splined coupler was greased from the factory with what looked like a moly grease. The splines on the u joint end we're dry from the factory, well covered in water/condensation from leaking boot  but dry in terms of grease.

Glenn.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:47:16 AM by Pizza Guzzi »

bpreynolds

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 06:29:50 AM »
Hey Rhonda, as you know I’ve owned both the V9 and the V7III previously, in addition to many Geese before them.  Glad you are on the lookout for issues, but honestly, these bikes are ready to ride more than any Guzzis I’ve had before them.  Just twist the throttle and grin  :wink:  Big congrats.  Post the pics for sure after you get it.   :thumb:

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »
Here is my opinion for what it is worth. 

If the bike is going to be a daily commuter and ridden rain or shine and parked outside in the elements then you want to perform periodic maintenance and preventative maintenance now and more frequently.

My Carbon is a trophy bike.  It sits raised up on my lift after every ride so I can wipe it down.  I will never intentionally ride it in the rain.  It will never sit outside in the elements. 

For my riding style I felt the need to upgrade the suspension and since I have the funds went with Fully adjustable cartridges in the front and the best "red" spring shocks I could get.  I had to get Italian shocks for my Italian bike. 

With my work and work travel schedule my time is very limited so during the 2 year warranty period I am going to have my dealer perform all maintenance so I build up a good report with them.  I have shared photos of my Carbon riding adventures with them that they have forwarded on to Moto Guzzi.  When my bike is in for service I use the time to test ride as many of the used bikes on the showroom floor that I can squeeze in which fulfills my life ambition to ride as many different bikes as I can.  On the used bikes they have no problem with me adding another 50 miles or so on the bikes.

Lately, I have been riding as many different adventure style bikes as possible with the anticipation that I will get to ride the V85 and determine if it is a bike I might want to own.  It is a very unique and cool looking bike among the competitors in this segment.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
I'll definitely post pics and thanks for the additional thoughts.  It will definitely be a daily or at least weekly rider and I want to take trips on it.  I likely won't give it the full pampering it deserves.

I'm going to ride it a bit and then make a decision on the suspension and seat height.  I can tell the suspension is better than the 2013 V7 I had. The seat feels lower than the 2013; I may want to raise it.  I am getting some risers to change the hip/back angle a bit.

bpreynolds

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »

I'm going to ride it a bit and then make a decision on the suspension and seat height.  I can tell the suspension is better than the 2013 V7 I had. The seat feels lower than the 2013; I may want to raise it.  I am getting some risers to change the hip/back angle a bit.

Smart move on riding it a bit before any changes.  I'm sure upgraded shocks are beneficial for some/many, but when I got my first V7 ('15) I immediately thought oh boy, this pogo pad is gonna need some new shocks; however, after about 600 miles I kinda forgot about it.  Of course, that was back when my back was in better shape than it is now  :laugh: but that's another topic.

Hey, if you go the Madstad route for a shield be aware that it will not work with some risers and such due to the Madstad bolting up at the handlebar clamp.  Sometimes it can merely be remedied with longer bolts, spacers, etc., but then other times it just plain won't work.  Just something to be mindful about if you do buy the Madstad.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 11:18:50 AM »

I also think the whole spline lube crap (not recommended by the factory but slavishly pursued to by former BMW owners around here is just a case of paranoia).

[/quote]

I'm sure you're right about Guzzis, but yes, that is the first commandment for BMW ownership.  As a matter of fact, I have a mural in my garage with the hand of the Almighty pointing at me (similar to Uncle Sam poster), "Thou shalt remember to lube thine splines."
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
Hey, if you go the Madstad route for a shield be aware that it will not work with some risers and such due to the Madstad bolting up at the handlebar clamp.  Sometimes it can merely be remedied with longer bolts, spacers, etc., but then other times it just plain won't work.  Just something to be mindful about if you do buy the Madstad.

Good to know!  You don't happen to have any pictures lying around that show the section where the Madstad bolts to the handlebar clamp do you?  I'll check out their site too and see if I can find a diagram. 

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
Does this look like yours?  I see what you mean about connected to the bar clamps.

If that's accurate, I'll keep it in mind as I look at risers.  Thanks!

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
Every 200 miles or so you'll need to remove the gas cap and fill the tank.   :thumb: :evil: :grin:
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »
Every 200 miles or so you'll need to remove the gas cap and fill the tank.   :thumb: :evil: :grin:
   :shocked:  Wow!  That's a short maintenance interval!   :boozing:

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
V7 111 has single u joint and yes swingarm bearings are sealed races.
On mine the splined coupler was greased from the factory with what looked like a moly grease. The splines on the u joint end we're dry from the factory, well covered in water/condensation from leaking boot  but dry in terms of grease.

Glenn.
thanks, i read somewhere that v7/3 used same as v9 pic below
i want this rear end for my sb 8 valve
now I know it is only a v9 that has it, hopefully a crashed one will turn up at auction
why not on v7 another question altogether

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »
   :shocked:  Wow!  That's a short maintenance interval!   :boozing:

Don't worry, the barbarian that I am, I almost never perform that procedure till after AT LEAST 250 miles.

On my 13 the light (since I relocated the sensor) doesn't even come on till 4.0g used (exactly), and that usually means it doesn't even come on till 200-220 miles, and even then I know I've got at least 1g of usable for left....

YMMV and all that... But I hear these III's are even better. But we haven't even burned through enough fuel to confirm yet.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Andy1

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
Kev - how did you relocate the fuel level sensor?  It may be very obvious but I have not been inside the tank yet.
On my 2014 Stone the warning light comes on much too early and I end up ignoring it.....if it came on with 5L left it would be more useful.
Andyb

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
Kev - how did you relocate the fuel level sensor?  It may be very obvious but I have not been inside the tank yet.
On my 2014 Stone the warning light comes on much too early and I end up ignoring it.....if it came on with 5L left it would be more useful.
Andyb

I can look in my archives next time I'm at the desk top to see if I have any photos.

But there were two versions of the fuel level sensor in the early metal tanks.

The earliest version was secured to the fuel pump with two screws (one upper and one lower).

For those sensors simply remove the two screws and slide the sensor lower on the pump housing until the upper screw hole in the sensor aligns with the lower hole in the housing. Secure the sensor in this position using just the one screw (since the lower hole in the sensor no longer aligns with anything in this position).

My low fuel light changed from coming on around 3.6g used to exactly 4.0g which was perfect. From coming on at maybe 180 miles and still having about 100 miles in reserve to now coming on only after 200+ miles and having at least another gallon/50 miles in reserve

If the later sensor is used already on the pump I don't think you can lower it.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Andy1

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »
Thanks Kev - alternatively I guess I could drop something into the bottom of the tank to reduce the reserve volume - NO!   :laugh:

Andyb

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 04:28:55 PM »
Hey Rhonda, as you know I’ve owned both the V9 and the V7III previously, in addition to many Geese before them.  Glad you are on the lookout for issues, but honestly, these bikes are ready to ride more than any Guzzis I’ve had before them.  Just twist the throttle and grin  :wink:  Big congrats.  Post the pics for sure after you get it.   :thumb:

this.  I've owned a lot of bikes and it's pretty rare that I buy one and leave it stock for very long.  The '17 V7/50 tho, other than lowering the pegs (I'm tall, Slingshot Racing pegs) and adding the centerstand (OEM,  no chain so more of a garage space saving thing) it's bone-stock.  Nor has it give me any trouble in the first year or two of ownership.  IMHO this is a bike that is well sorted and much more reliable than the 'Italian Thing' reputation might suggest.  Honestly, I've had more troubles with my Honda's than I've had with this bike.  Just buy it, ride it, and try not to grin so wide that you obsure your view of the road ahead...
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »
Some thoughts.  Like Kev mentioned, the reserve light comes on about 60 miles before you run out, which is longer than most bikes I've ridden.  At first I thought it was weird and was going to modify the sensor.  But I've come to strongly prefer the 60 mile warning.   With a 60 mile warning, I can forget about tracking total mileage since fill up.  I can now just ride in peace, until the light comes on, and then I only have to worry about tracking the 60 miles remaining.  And a 60 mile warning means you have plenty of warning, even if the light comes on after you passed the last exit 5 miles earlier.  Just go to the next one.  With only a 30 mile warning, you might be tempted to turn around and go back.   

Second, if you or the service guy are going to be at the driveshaft, I would lube them.  Personally, I see no reason why it would be better to not lubricate a shaft that is exposed to wear from hammering, rotation, and sliding forces, and also from corrosion and fretting due to moisture.  I do not see why a BMW shaft should be lubricated but a Guzzi shaft should not be.  Unlike an exposed shaft on a tractor that is admittedly exposed to dust and hay, the shaft on a Guzzi is protected and the grease cannot be contaminated by outside debris.

The swing-arm bearings on my 2013 are a sealed unit.  No need to mess with them.

For the first 5,000 miles or so, I suggest you get some blue Locktite and monitor all the nuts and bolts for tightness.  They can vibrate loose.   In particular, the stop bolt for the rear brake pedal, the single bolts that clamp the gear shift mechanism onto their shafts, and the bolts that hold the side panels on.   I've also had the front brake mounting caliper bolts all come loose, as well as the rear passenger peg mounting brackets. 

Also monitor the nuts that hold the exhaust header onto the front of the cylinder, as well as the exhaust clamps on the cross-over and the mufflers.   Mine would loosen periodically.  But don't lock-tite those; instead just cooper anti-sieze on them. 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:12:35 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

elvisboy77

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 05:38:38 PM »
Other than the recall about the routing of wires/cables (done at first service) I have not found anything that needs to be done on my 2017 V7iii Anniversario.  It is really great as is.

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
How exactly are you guys finding out about the recalls?
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here