Author Topic: My poor dead CARC  (Read 635 times)

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
My poor dead CARC
« on: October 04, 2022, 08:06:14 PM »
I purchased a '07 Norge, knowing that it was making some gnarly noises. Thought it was clutch, but clutch just showed glazing, not mangling. (A close friend who is retired from being the bestest Guzzi tech alive is doing the work for me). then he opened up the rear end and found the pinion nut had backed off. Nooooooo!!  Unsure if the bearings are all replaceable, so I found and purchased a used unit. I'll have him put that one on. the question is, are the bearings replaceable, or is it a non-serviceable unit?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: My poor dead CARC
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 11:42:55 PM »
I have bumped an old thread called “Sometimes it all lines up perfectly”,  for you Lee.
If you read from reply #39 onwards, it chronicles what I did when mine did the same thing. It’s a thing that needs checking on all of them.
Roper fixed mine, but it supposedly can’t be done.

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 03:54:46 AM »
Here it goes.

I have opened several CARC - and seen loose pinion nuts - and even pinion nuts that had the threads destroyed. Even the locking plate has been assembled the wrong way.

The good thing is that you can replace the bearings. 31305 is the general article number. But I have checked mine - and saw that they could be reused.

The main problem is to pull the pinion out of the cast housing. But it can be done.

Offline nsmith

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
How do I access this pinon nut? At 45k miles I might want to give it a look see. And what is the torque supposed to be? Thanks all.

Neil formally from South Dakota now living it up in Arkansas

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 08:42:03 AM »
How do I access this pinon nut? At 45k miles I might want to give it a look see. And what is the torque supposed to be? Thanks all.
e mail Pete Roper at modomoda.
He’s not the only bloke on Earth that that understands them, he’s just the go to man down here.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here