Author Topic: rear tire change on 2021 V7 850 special  (Read 1129 times)

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
rear tire change on 2021 V7 850 special
« on: October 06, 2022, 09:30:56 AM »
Was riding 2 up in southern Indiana yesterday on my V7 850 special and picked up a roofing nail in the rear tire; went flat in a small town. A few locals did their best to help us out, but we eventually had to have the bike towed to our house 40 miles away in Kentucky. Thankfully, our insurance policy covered it.

I have delt with plenty of flat tires on norges, but have never had to deal with a flat on a bike with tube tires. I never had an issue removing the rear wheel on the Norges, but it looks like the job is a bit more complicated with the 850. I'd like to be able to remove the rear wheel and have Cadre Cycle replace the tire, but I am reluctant to try to remove the rear wheel; I suck as a mechanic.

Is it a big deal to remove the rear wheel on this bike. I tried to find a video online to help, but couldn't find one for this model.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. Would I be better off just to have the bike towed to Cadre? Is it possible to fill the tube with a tire seal product and ride the bike to the dealership? Should I go ahead and try to remove the wheel myself.

Thanks,

Jon

Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: rear tire change on 2021 V7 850 special
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 09:39:43 AM »
I wouldn't say it's a "big deal" per se. But that's a subjective term.

Really it's not difficult so much as fussy (at least on the earlier models, which do have a slightly different swing arm so maybe the 850 is easier or harder but I doubt it's very different).

The two biggest things that stand out in my mind are:

* Clearance - it REALLY REALLY is much easier on our bikes if it's on a lift with a drop out for the tire so I can drop the wheel down as far as needed to help clear the swing arm and rear drive housing.

* Rubber cushions - are a little fiddly and some people complain they drop out when trying to align the wheel with the drive hub. Some people use a little grease or a little adhesive spray to hold them in position.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. It helps a lot on the earlier ones if the tire is mostly deflated as there is physically not enough room to remove the tire from the swing arm on those without compressing the rubber slightly.

It's easy enough to remove the brake caliper and mounting bracket when doing the job.

But all of this is easy on a lift or at least in a garage. I don't have any desire to do it on the side of the road.

I would think that sealing the wheels would go a long way to making road-side repairs more realistic.

Here it is on a Mk I -

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 09:57:20 AM »
Be thankful you’re not working on a pre-850 V7 or Nevada with the bulkier rear fender that made pulling the wheel out more difficult. The skinnier rear mudguards make it much less of a chore.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 10:11:58 AM »
As i don't have a nice lift, I use a chain fall to get the rear of the bike very high in the air to get the wheel past the fender, as i am too lazy to remove the fender.
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 10:11:58 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 10:15:16 AM »
Be thankful you’re not working on a pre-850 V7 or Nevada with the bulkier rear fender that made pulling the wheel out more difficult. The skinnier rear mudguards make it much less of a chore.

The fender may be less of a chore, but the tire is now a 150 instead of a 130 so the real clearance issue might still be the same - getting the tire itself out. Though I can't say for sure, I bet dropping it down is still gonna help.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Speciality

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 01:02:28 PM »
The 850 V7 is better than the 750 in terms of the cush drive rubbers - they don’t fall out when trying to install the wheel. I’d say a major issue can be removing some of the bolts. M-G seem to use a lot of threadlock on their bolts making it hard to remove them because of the undersize button head fasteners they use instead of nuts. I wouldn’t attempt to remove the rear wheel from my Special at the roadside (and I have a mainstand). To be honest in my garage I’d probably remove the final drive complete with wheel (and take the opportunity to grease the splines). Offhand it’s probably the worst bike I’ve ever owned with regard to rear wheel removal, though the Honda Deauville was pretty bad.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 08:30:59 PM »
There is a good You Tube video re how to R&R the rear wheel on an earlier Breva 750, same as your bike but as noted the Breva's rear tire is a 130 cross section where the later V-7s are 150.  Be sure to remove the Left shock absorber's bottom fixing bolt and swing the shock out of the way when removing or replacing the rear wheel   I found it a rather easy job on my Breva, but then I changed my first motorcycle tire in 1953 (shameless self-aggrandizement) which may have helped.  Changing the tire for a new one with small hand levers had it's moments of high drama, however.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline buck

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 10:27:31 PM »
I didn’t think it was bad. Just be sure to remove the caliper mount that screws into the swingarm. If you try to cheat and not remove it like I did you will find it impossible to maneuver the wheel around it and risk scratching your wheel.

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 11:30:53 AM »
It's just not practical to remove my rear wheel without the proper setup.. Air compressor, and tire sealer might get you back home.. I have one set of sealed spoke rims, and one set of standard wheels for my unit.. I know if I get a nail it will be the one with the tube in it.. :evil:

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 05:36:02 AM »
I've found it helpful to let all the air out of the tire.  Your tire's already flat blackbuell, so you have that going for you  :azn:  You can always give it a try, there's no shame in loading up and heading to the dealer if it doesn't work out.  Good luck!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here