Author Topic: Grinning motorcycle policeman  (Read 1954 times)

Rough Edge racing

Grinning motorcycle policeman
« on: August 14, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »
 I sold bike parts to a guy on the west coast...The buyer had a friend in Pa who was coming out to visit  him so I agreed for a price to hand off the parts to him. Drove down to the PA border for the hand off and then while returning we were just north of Syracuse NY on I 690 when I spotted a bike coming up in the fast lane. I was going about 70 MPH and the bike was traveling just slightly faster an as he pulled alongside  my wife and I got a long look at him. It was a late model Harley cop bike, rider in dark blue short sleeve police rider outfit. The rider was just looking straight ahead with a grin on his face, he was enjoying the ride on a warm evening.
 .....The bike was marked "Police" with all the usual gear but no municipality name. It looked real and unreal at the same time, like a ghost rider of a deceased policeman....The bike continued on until it disappeared into the sunset...
  And why to bike cops ride in short sleeves? I would think a leather jacket would be more appropriate for their job...And the shorty helmet also...Yeah it's tradition but not the best "safety" image...

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
Re: Grinning motorcycle policeman
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:20:06 AM »
I was commuting home one warm Spring evening in the HOV lane, a single lane, limited access, walled by jersey barriers on both sides.  This set up often meant being held up by a slower car (no passing lane) but all traffic moves pretty quickly, typically 75+ in a 65mph.  It's clear ahead of me so I'm going 75-ish when I see a bike coming up on me.  He's obviously going much faster than me so I move to the left side of the single lane and wave him past with my right hand.  I was very surprised when he passed me - a Houston PD moto cop, likely heading home toward the suburbs.  I got a wave in return and I'm sure he was grinning too.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »

And why to bike cops ride in short sleeves? I would think a leather jacket would be more appropriate for their job...And the shorty helmet also...Yeah it's tradition but not the best "safety" image...

It's always been a "safety" tradeoff for motorcycle cops.   They don't wear the Power Rangers gear like we might, because they don't want to look like Imperial Storm Troopers on the bikes.   

It's important that they be seen as regular humans, thus the short helmets (that lets you see them "grin" if that's the mood of the moment) and the shirtsleeves, although they bundle up in cold weather ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »
nk a leather jacket would be more appropriate for their job...And the shorty helmet also...Yeah it's tradition but not the best "safety" image...

Uniforms are dictated by those who don't ride or work outside.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »
It's always been a "safety" tradeoff for motorcycle cops.   They don't wear the Power Rangers gear like we might, because they don't want to look like Imperial Storm Troopers on the bikes.   

It's important that they be seen as regular humans, thus the short helmets (that lets you see them "grin" if that's the mood of the moment) and the shirtsleeves, although they bundle up in cold weather ....

Lannis

Geez, it not like non bike police don't look like Power Rangers with all the gear they wear.. I think a nice fitting light weight abrasive resistant jacket and proper open face helmet would give off an officer friendly image.If a cop has to throw away the bike, he smacks the ground just like the rest of us.....Just thinking out loud...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:39:31 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
 I rode a motorcycle for Atlanta Police for a while. There's no good reason for not having a jacket, other than we're on and off the bike so often, it will get hot, even with a mesh jacket.

The helmet is actually a safety issue, but not one most riders would think of. When we're on a traffic stop, the helmet stays on. The half helmet makes it easier to hear the person we're dealing with, but it also helps us hear if anyone approaches from behind. You have no idea how many people will walk up to an officer from behind, while he/she is involved in something, and expect the officer to stop what they're doing and talk to them. Now, if that person means us harm, as may very well happen in this day and age, it would be a huge safety issue if we can't hear them approaching.

I'm not a fan of half helmets, but think they're a good thing for motorcycle officers.
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Geez, it not like non bike police don't look like Power Rangers with all the gear they wear.. I think a nice fitting light weight abrasive resistant jacket and proper open face helmet would give off an officer friendly image.If a cop has to throw away the bike, he smacks the ground just like the rest of us.....Just thinking out loud...

I was just repeating what I'd been told by a policeman that I'd asked .... Guzziknight has some good reasons from his experience just above ....

The "on and off" the bike all the time is one reason that a bike is borderline impractical for running errands in the city for the rest of us.    I can "git 'er done" a lot faster if I've got three or four places to go in town if I'm not fighting my way in and out of sweaty or rain-wet gear each time ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here