Author Topic: Lurkers cafe build  (Read 29835 times)

trumps

Lurkers cafe build
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
G'day all, signed up earlier in the year and have been lurking and learning ( thank you all very much) ever since while slowly plodding away with my build.
bought a ratty old 1000SP/NT in March with the plan of doing a cafe-ing it, put a couple of thousand km's on it before i started just to get the feel of it
as it is my first Guzzi, beautiful bikes!

Bought a set of rotten old Boranni rims, stripped, made shiney, and relaced them, bought an alloy tank from TAB II Classics in the UK, make up a plug and
glassed up the seat unit after shortening the rear of the frame about 4". when i was happy with the basic styling i stripped the bike and now with the
frame ect blasted and repainted have started the process of building her up again.
 replaced steeringhead and swingarm bearings, carrier bearings and U/J, rebuilt the forks including new FAC units, and inner fork tubes, the chrome was
shot on the originals.
 i just finished the engine, which got new Gillardoni's, Perter Roper did the heads for me including stiffer valve springs, and opening up the intake ports to
suit my 36mm manifolds, and 36mm Dellorto's, he also supplied me with an Ergal alloy flywheel, and lightened the ring gear. B-10 cam, new lifters,
C-5 ignition, sump spacer, and early Lemans style breather system. Still weighing up options in the exhaust department.
 Transmission is stripped and i will be replacing the seals and bearings while shimming her up, the bevel will be copping much the same treatment. i will
also be rewiring the bike with the full Motogadget setup, along with a modern reg/rectifier as i'm a big fan of quality electrical systems and this old girl
was rather lacking in that department in it's as bought guise ;)
still got a few bits and bobs to find such as a front axle and spacer to marry up the boranni front wheel with the SP forks, i figure a T3 axle and spacer will
be what i need, just have to find one. Will be fitting a set of Hagon rear shocks to the back end.
I know many aren't fans of people tampering and bastardizing what to them is the perfect bike in it's original form but any tips and pionters along the way
would be much appreciated. If anyone has bothered reading this, i hope you like photos! ;)

Cheers
Craig

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Lurkers cafe build
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
 ;-T
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
+3  ;-T
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »
Very nice, you're taking something that was ratty and old and making it into something that will rock and roll. More power to 'ya!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »
That's fantastic.   Keep on keeping the forum up to date on this!!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:25 AM »
Eggg sel ant...  ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Seagondollar

• Gaggle Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:26:11 AM »
The larger Del'Ortos and straight intakes  (provided you did some port matching in the heads), along with the electronic ignition should wake that engine up a bit. 
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - � morto

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »
Twin plug the heads and you should be able to run regular petrol thru it!

The engine mods you list sound like a roadmap of the stuff I did to my T-5.

A set of upswept Contis would complete the look if you can find them.

Should go like a scalded goose!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
Thats a sweet project, pardon my ignorance, but, how are you building the tail, fiberglass? or steel/aluminum?
Some day I would love to build a tonti project just like yours,.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
Thats a sweet project, pardon my ignorance, but, how are you building the tail, fiberglass? or steel/aluminum?
Some day I would love to build a tonti project just like yours,.
Rick.

And where did that fuel tank come from?   I think that's the perfect tank size and shape for a Guzzi cafe or sport bike.

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
And where did that fuel tank come from?   I think that's the perfect tank size and shape for a Guzzi cafe or sport bike.

Lannis

Lannis
[/quote

He says tab II classics in the UK above I'm suprised a smart feller like you missed that Lannis

grantsjeep

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
Very nice.

Offline AndyS

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
I think I've seen this build some place else as well  ;)

Can't remember where this might be...........  hurry up will you, we have Guzzis to ride  :bike

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »
And where did that fuel tank come from?   I think that's the perfect tank size and shape for a Guzzi cafe or sport bike.

Lannis

He says tab II classics in the UK above I'm suprised a smart feller like you missed that Lannis

I read that post carefully over and over to make sure that JUST such a comment wouldn't be forthcoming.    But to no avail.    Next thing I looked for was a little "Edited by" note at the bottom, but no such luck.

Must have been in my blind spot, a retinal detachment, yeah, that's the ticket ....

I do like the tank.

Lannis
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:45:52 PM by Lannis »

trumps

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »
Jobs on Andy, now that i have pretty much all my parts things should move along at a better pace  ;-T Yup Lannis it is a TAB II jobbie, the longer version, size and shape wise it looks like the perfect match
to my eye. Rick, I carved a plug out of Balsa, ( one of my other hobbies is building R/C scale aircraft and i have a huge stock of balsa) i had a local fibreglass guy take a mould from the plug, and lay up a form
from it. i then used the form to lay up a seperate seat base with a couple of drilled and tapped aluminum strips inlayed, shaped up a seat pad, and had it covered, the front will hook under an extra cross tube
i aded to the frame, and the rear will bolt down onto the inner rear guard that i fabbed up from some ali plating.

Cheers all.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
I read that post carefully over and over to make sure that JUST such a comment wouldn't be forthcoming.    But to no avail.    Next thing I looked for was a little "Edited by" note at the bottom, but no such luck.

Must have been in my blind spot, a retinal detachment, yeah, that's the ticket ....

I do like the tank.

Lannis

I wouldn't have noticed it either but one of my first thoughts when I looked at the pics (and I looked first) was "where the heck do you get a cool tank like that?" so THEN I started reading ;)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »
I wouldn't have noticed it either but one of my first thoughts when I looked at the pics (and I looked first) was "where the heck do you get a cool tank like that?" so THEN I started reading ;)

Ross Thompson can build a tank like that - I wondered if it was one of his.   

I always struggle with tail-pieces, though.   Never have seen a tail-treatment on a custom that's just what I would want.....

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »

I always struggle with tail-pieces, though.   Never have seen a tail-treatment on a custom that's just what I would want.....

Lannis

Lannis

Me too but this guys doing it tastefully. I have seen some that I didn't like. The fact that this guys taking a bike that was pretty much a lump of shart and doing this is great.

Offline AndyS

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
With any luck Craig will post up a picture of his last build - if that's anything to go by, this Guzzi will be stunning

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
Me too but this guys doing it tastefully. I have seen some that I didn't like. The fact that this guys taking a bike that was pretty much a lump of shart and doing this is great.

Heck, I've got a decent 1000SP without the fairing, and I'm starting to have visions of turning it into something like this..... !

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
Heck, I've got a decent 1000SP without the fairing, and I'm starting to have visions of turning it into something like this..... !

Lannis
That's a nice rig, about as nice as a CX-100 :D

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »
Wow. Obligatory dumb comment: " How'd you know what I wanted ? "

Now I'll have to watch for opportunities...
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 12:24:15 AM »
Looks good!  ;-T
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 04:52:57 AM »
Did someone say a "build"?    :o
Looks like you're on your way to someone very tasty.  ;-T
Show is anything and everything please. Most of us are open to this sort of thing.
Kevin
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 05:16:27 AM »
Nice work there Trumps.
I'm wondering why you swapped the original head protectors for the [inferior in my opinion] tubular jobbies? I had those on my Cali and once they lost the plugs from the ends they looked way shabby.
Apart from that I love every detail. The see thru dizzy cap is a nice touch and those motogadget setups are the ants pants. Perter Roper did a nice job on the heads. I thought he didn't do pretty.
Can't wait to see the next installment.
Thanks for the eye candy.

trumps

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 07:16:36 AM »
Cheers Luthier, mate i can't speak highly enough of Pete Roper. he has been most helpful, i have spoken to him quite a few times over the last month or so and has been an invaluable source of knowledge and recommendations.
 With regards to the head protectors, i am running the tubular ones for no other reason than i prefer them over the alloy jobbies, the bungs in the ends will probably be removed and a neater method of closing them off sorted.
I have high hopoes for the Motogadget setup, and am looking forward to installing and wiring it up then exploring its capabilities. If it performs as well as advertized i will probably order another bunch of goodies from them and
giving the same treatment to my other cafe which AndyS mentioned. Question for all you Guzzi Gurus, front axle, and spacer required for converting spoked guzzi wheels to an SP/NT front end, i seem to be drawing a bit of a
blank here as to where to source the required bits, can anyone recommend a source?

here is the bike as i bought it.

My other cafe, had this bike for about 18 years, the last 10 or so of which it was rotting and rusting away doubling as a sawhorse in my fathers shed, dragged it home at the start of last year and gave it the full treatment ;)

Cheers all

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »
Have I met you on any of the triples boards?  Just wondering if I know you.  I'm "Jim" on four of them.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

trumps

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »
Heya Jim, I dare say we have mate, more than likely the ktog forums ;) variety is the spice of life they say, and apart from having a wheel at either end guzzi's and Kwaka triples are about as different as they get eh?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 08:03:22 AM »
They sure are very different.  That was one reason I bought the Mille GT last year, to experience something different.  Until then, my H2 that I bought in 1978 was the only motorcycle I had ever owned.  I'm mainly on www.kawi2strokes.co m/forum so if you have time, drop in there once in a while.

Your Guzzi cafe looks like it's going in an excellent direction.  The guy I bought my Mille from has a build thread here.  It may be interesting to you:  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=21706.0
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:04:53 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Allflatblack

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »
What did the ignition set you back? I'll have to research it!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here