Author Topic: Need your help convincing myself! PLEASE HELP!  (Read 28365 times)

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
Need your help convincing myself! PLEASE HELP!
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:37:57 PM »
Ok, so I've been a long time lurker and now i'm here for help/advice/suggestions and anything else you could offer :)

First off, i love the Guzzi community here. Been reading through a lot of threads and posts and can say that this is the most friendly and probably the most knowledgable forum i'm a member of. Obviously a forum is made off of members. So glad this community has gathered so many different and great in their own way personalities!

Now to the business.

I've sold my bike yesterday and am looking for my next machine. Out of all the possible brands, styles and displacements i'm considering, the V7 Stone or Special is the top contender for many many reasons.

A little about myself (sorry if introduction is out of place, but its directly related to why i'm looking for your opinions on the bike in question).

I live in Brooklyn, NY and the bike will be used for occasional pleasure riding. Unfortunately cannot commute on it, because i'm a medical technician and need to carry pretty large and heavy equipment with me. The bike i owned was ridden mostly every other Sunday morning for distances anywhere from 10 to 150 miles. I have two little kids, so it's a little difficult for me to get often and for long rides. The bike will be stored in a garage. Non heated.

So here's the list of questions and concerns that I have:

1. Based on the threads and posts from people who had warranty issues, i came to understand that dealer and manufacturer support is weak at best. So if any of you had good experiences - i'll be happy to hear them! Also, foes anyone have any experience with Vespa of Brooklyn (closest Guzzi dealer to me)? Or maybe could recommend someone near me who could be trusted? (I mostly do my own maintenance, but if I get the Guzzi, i'm planning on having the dealer perform the first service)

2. With V7 II coming out at some point this year (hopefully before the season starts), should i pay the full price for '15 model or wait for the new prices announced and go from there?

3. Since the bike will be sitting for two weeks at a time sometimes, anything i need to be concerned about?

4. If i'll be getting one before the winter is over, i don't think i'll be winterizing it. What would the procedure be then to keep the bike in good shape? Start it up and let it idle for a few minutes once a week or so, or go for a few mile ride?

5. Things to look out and check for before every ride? ( basically asking if Guzzis are any different in this matter as suppose to other bikes. I.e. Check oil, brakes, lights etc.)

6. I've read a lot about the ease of maintenance, but coming from a single cylinder i have to ask, how easy is it? I.e. how much time does it take you to check and adjust (if needed obviously) the valves after you've done it once? How long does it take you to change the oil? (My understanding is that there are 3 places that need oil/fluid change at regular intervals? Engine, tranny and final drive?

7. What's the likelihood of the V7 being stolen if parked on a street overnight? Not everyday, just once in a while.

8. I've read that the updated ('13 and up) are pretty much trouble free, but have seen a couple posts complaining about some serious issues. I.e. one guy complaints that his tranny is gone, another seeing leaks in the heads etc. Occasionally, here and there, i see people complaining about serious issues. I understand that it's one in a hundred if not more, but i'd still like to hear what (if any) issues have you had with your updated V7. Not to discourage myself, but rather be aware of the possible issues.

I maybe forgetting a few things, so i'll probably add them later on.

I know it's on a longish side, but i'm planning on keeping this bike for a long long time and would like to be sure i'm on the right path.

In simple words, i want you guys to convince me to buy a Guzzi.

Truly appreciate your time and effort!

Thank you all in advance!

oldbike54

Re: Need your help convincing myself! PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
You aren't going to Sicily then Paris , right ? ;D Sorry , last guy from NYC kinda acted poorly  :D
OK Vasco or Kev m , answer this mans questions .

Dusty

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Oh, no no no! Not the type!

It took me so long to write this that i'd have to be stupid and have nothing better to do than wasting mine, and everybody else's time!

I'm here and here to stay! :) no Sicily for me! Definitely no Paris! I'd love to tour all of the States though when i get a chance :)

- Joe

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:09 PM »
Hey JP glad you think we're OK, I guess we have gotten some bad press on some other forums. Have a good time here.

I don't have a newer bike but I'd think no more miles than you're talking about riding, maintence is not gonna be a big deal.

Park on the street in Brooklyn? That seems pretty crazy to me, but then I don't live there. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I don't leave a bike outside in SW Missouri.

Sure, you hear about some little problems with the small blocks but I'd be willing to bet there are a bunch of happy riders for every one of those problems you read about here.

I'm sure you'll get more input soon. Have fun! ;D

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:09 PM »

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:12 AM »
JP, I just bought my first Guzzi just over 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that it's worth it. Nothing I've ever ridden feels like a Guzzi, when they say that the bikes feel alive, it's true. I'm absolutely in love with the engine on my Breva 1100. I went with an 1100 instead of the 750 because I like doing longer rides on the open road. The 750 is a damn near perfect city bike, the 1100 is ok in the city, but that's not it's element.

If you're willing to do your own maintenance, almost anything else you get is going to be harder to work on. With the cylinders sticking right at your face I'd say it's about as easy as it can get.

If you're going to ride it every 2 weeks you should be ok for the winter.

Oil changes in the engine are about every 6000 miles, the tranny and final drive every 12000 (those are the intervals on the breva 1100). Some Guzzis (not entirely sure with the V7) take 10W-60 sythetic engine oil, fair price for it is about $10 a quart and it's hard to find. You'll have to order it as no one I asked carries it on a regular basis except for dealerships. The gearbox and final drive take gear oil. Changing the oils is as easy as drain, cap and refill.

Check the oil every now and then before you ride. Guzzis will weep oil from various gaskets and breathers over time, but as long as there is nothing dripping on the floor under it, then you're fine. This comes directly from the folks at Moto International in Seattle.

Guzzis are among the bikes that are LEAST likely to get stolen. I read a survey that listed the top 10 and bottom 10 most likely bikes to be stolen. They're rare so it's easy to spot when one comes up for sale after it's stolen. Also, no one wants to steal (or buy) a 750 with only 48hp unless they're crazy guzzi riders. The most stolen bikes are gixxers and other crotch rockets that gansters with small penises want to boost their ego. Not to say it wouldn't happen, but a goose is about as safe a bet there is. The least likely bike to be stolen is a Ural, because most people can't figure out how to get the parking break off, let alone move 750 lbs worth of russian scrap metal... (I kid, I'd love a Ural)

A test ride might to convince you to buy a Guzzi but you really should borrow one for a few days or rent one if the possibility exists. Live with one for a bit and see if it speaks to you. I had buyer's remorse until I actually got out and rode mine for a while, that thing makes me smile every time I lay into the throttle.

Vasco DG

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 04:34:23 AM »
I'll help with the points I can

3. Good grief no! It's a motorbike not a piece of ice sculpture!

4. On no account start it for short periods of time. Nothing is worse for a motor than starting it and not getting it up to operating temperature. To do that it has to work. Idling isn't work. If you ride it in winter make sure it's for at least 20 miles at a time.

5. Same as any other vehicle.

6. As long as you don't screw about with things you shouldn't screw with servicing a single TB Smallblock is so easy it would make an imbecile weep.

7. Where I live I don't even lock my house unless I'm going away for a few days. I once went away for three weeks and when I came back I found I'd left the key in the Griso. It was still there when I got back. I'm a long way from Brooklyn though. ;)

8. Every brand produces a screaming turd from time to time. From what I've seen of rantings of those who have *serious problems* most of them seem to have poor dealership support, (Choose carefully who you buy from.) and though it may be misinterpreted they mostly seem to be barely literate Gints with a belief that everything should work for them even if they have no idea about, well, anything.

As long as you don't screw about with them the single TB V7's are a great little bike. I delivered one to a new owner today and while I was taking it out for its pre-delivery flog, sorry, 'Test Ride' I realised once again what a charming little bike it is. Do I want one? No, not now, but in a decade? Also if they do make a mini Stelvio with the stuff we've discussed before......

Pete

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 05:29:47 AM »
JProdun; my ex - wife had a Breva 750 (basically the same bike, but with different bodywork), and she rode it all over the country. One year, we took a 5,000 mile trip to Colorado from Massachusetts. Another time we rode out to Wisconsin then up to the Great Lakes. It's a strong and pretty durable machine. Maintenance is very easy. The chances of your bike getting stolen if parked on the street are no better than any other bike. Just be forewarned; your cheeks will be very sore from the perpetual grin you'll be wearing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:31:56 AM by Crusty »
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »
If you only read one of my answers - go to #4!

1. Based on the threads and posts from people who had warranty issues, i came to understand that dealer and manufacturer support is weak at best. So if any of you had good experiences - i'll be happy to hear them! Also, foes anyone have any experience with Vespa of Brooklyn (closest Guzzi dealer to me)? Or maybe could recommend someone near me who could be trusted? (I mostly do my own maintenance, but if I get the Guzzi, i'm planning on having the dealer perform the first service)

2. With V7 II coming out at some point this year (hopefully before the season starts), should i pay the full price for '15 model or wait for the new prices announced and go from there?

3. Since the bike will be sitting for two weeks at a time sometimes, anything i need to be concerned about?

4. If i'll be getting one before the winter is over, i don't think i'll be winterizing it. What would the procedure be then to keep the bike in good shape? Start it up and let it idle for a few minutes once a week or so, or go for a few mile ride?

5. Things to look out and check for before every ride? ( basically asking if Guzzis are any different in this matter as suppose to other bikes. I.e. Check oil, brakes, lights etc.)

6. I've read a lot about the ease of maintenance, but coming from a single cylinder i have to ask, how easy is it? I.e. how much time does it take you to check and adjust (if needed obviously) the valves after you've done it once? How long does it take you to change the oil? (My understanding is that there are 3 places that need oil/fluid change at regular intervals? Engine, tranny and final drive?

7. What's the likelihood of the V7 being stolen if parked on a street overnight? Not everyday, just once in a while.

8. I've read that the updated ('13 and up) are pretty much trouble free, but have seen a couple posts complaining about some serious issues. I.e. one guy complaints that his tranny is gone, another seeing leaks in the heads etc. Occasionally, here and there, i see people complaining about serious issues. I understand that it's one in a hundred if not more, but i'd still like to hear what (if any) issues have you had with your updated V7. Not to discourage myself, but rather be aware of the possible issues.

1. I moved from NY two decades ago so I can't help there, except to say that Moto Borgotaro looks like the place I'd try. EDIT - crap, just read in another thread that they don't like new ones.

2. V7II won't be here until LATE next year (yeah, I think some are saying late summer early fall, but if I were a betting man I'd probably put my money on Nov or Dec). That said, unless I really wanted ABS or the extra leg room, I'd not worry about it. I'd try to get some sort of discount on the current one (maybe a closeout, or winter is here pricing).

3. NO - since I work at home and have two little kids each in my fleet of bikes often sit a week or two. That said I do like to put them on a battery tender once in a while (if they are sitting longer, like through winter).

4. NO NO NO F'N NO F'N WAY - STUPID STUPID STUPID - DO NOT DO THAT. The absolute WORST thing you can do to any internal combustion engine is start it and not fully warm it up. ESPECIALLY with an air-cooled bike in winter temps that means if you're not going to ride it at LEAST 20-30 miles / 30-60 minutes, DON'T START IT. Cold start ups cause the most engine wear and most oil contamination and do absolutely nothing positive to help the bike. Hell, in most cases they won't even recharge the battery from what it took to start the bike. DON'T DO IT - am I clear on this or do you need me to elaborate?  ;)

5. EVERY ride? Well, EVERY ride I do a quick visual inspection - just eyeball stuff. Nothing looks loose or sitting out of place, the brake light works, etc. At LEAST eyeball the tires. I probably check tire pressure every couple of months, and oil no more than every few weeks unless I've been riding it A LOT. But that's because I get to know my bikes. I check things more in the beginning and once I get a feel for them then I check less often.

6. Maintenance couldn't be easier on these bikes. Change engine oil and check valves every 6k or so. Engine oil takes maybe a half hour, valves maybe an hour or more if you're REALLY anal-retentive like me. Trans and final drive oil is changed every other service for maybe another half hour.

7. Guzzi is an incredibly small market, so thieves can't really sell parts or bikes with any ease. That said, ANYTHING can get stolen. I can't speak about your neighborhood. Honestly though I would cry leaving my bike on the street all the time. If you're only going to ride it on occasional weekends, maybe look at a bike only parking garage. I've heard of a few in NYC that have work spaces and whatnot too.

8. I ordered mine from the Philly dealer the second I heard the new V7 Stone was going to be available. I've only got a little over 7k miles on it in the almost 2 years I've had it, but it has been essentially trouble free. It stumbles a little on cold starts unless I warm it up, but that's the closest thing I've had to a complaint and so I haven't been back to the dealer for anything.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:34:26 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »
Good advise from all, as an ex New Yorker I would wait for ABS. It saved my ass on the Norge. All it takes is once. Don't know much about the Brooklyn dealer.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
Looks like all your initial questions have been answered.

As far as a dealer, you might want to make the  1 1/2 hour drive here:

http://www.eurosports.net/

About the same distance for me, and I was satisfied with buying my '14 V7 Special from them.  Ask for Rick.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
Nice bikes- not much to sort. Joe T here (sign216) has posted some nice videos on basic service. No reason you can't do it yourself.

Buying a used, low mileage V7 shouldn't be out of the question. There's no huge difference between the models and if several thousand bucks sounds attractive, it will leave you left over cake to buy a hipster jacket and tight jeans.  At the same, a well cared for V7 from one of the faithful will have the little niggles worked out.

As for the rare stories of nightmares- I find that hard to believe. This platform is proven and there's nothing adventurous or "state of the art" to crap out.

The power thing shouldn't be a real issue. You are on pretty flat ground and won't be lugging heavy gear up huge rolling hills, so who cares. I'd argue that the smaller, lighter package will only make it handier around town. 

As for leaving it on the street, your call. I don't leave Ginger outside in a light rain.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
Buying a used, low mileage V7 shouldn't be out of the question. There's no huge difference between the models and if several thousand bucks sounds attractive, it will leave you left over cake to buy a hipster jacket and tight jeans. 

Uhhhhhh, PERSONALLY, I think there is.

Maybe the basic frame/motor are the same, but the 1TB's are pretty significantly different than the 2TBs to me.

1. Metal tank (except for that one year the 2TBs had the smaller plastic tank)
2. Easier maintenance - no throttle bodies to balance or TPS to adjust, don't need to remove tank to get to anything - easy access to air cleaner under the tank
3. Tubeless cast wheels (Stone vs. V7C)
4. More torque at lower rpm, allows for a different feel from the saddle.
5. Mysterious oil consumption problem seemingly GONE on the new 1TBs.

Sure, there's more similar than dissimilar between them, but the newer 1TBs have upgrades that, as an owner, I consider significant.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Oh wow! Didn't expect so much feedback in such a short period of time! Truly appreciate!

In regards to weeping oil through various gaskets and breathers over time, it isn't something a new gasket won't fix correct?

I'm not going to get even close to 7000 miles in two years. I hope I could, but in the current situation i just can't.

The dealer in PA has a '14 Special with a great price tag, but bot the color combo i like, and while i do like spoked rims, i would prefer tubeless tires.

Bike is something i prefer new. I never bought a brand new car, but cars are a different story for me. Bike has to be new so I know every little things that's been done to it and the type of ownership it was under.

I had time to visit the dealer i mentioned in my original post and i've had a pleasant experience with sales personnel (unfortunately this can't be said about most of the dealers i've visited, especially in NY). The service department - i no nothing about, but will have to find people who have dealt with them.

Now, in regards to break in period, what's the widely accepted technique in the Guzzi community? I know there are two general camps on this, but would like to know which has proven to be the best for Guzzi bikes in general as well as small blocks in particular.

Truly appreciate all of your replies!

Thanks a lot!

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
P.S. Typing on a touch screen sucks... Lots of mistakes.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »
Most Guzzisti would probably advise a rigorous break-in. Some would say flog it, others to vary speed and load.

I think universally we'd probably say not to baby it too much and prevent the rings from seating well.

I fall into the vary it camp.

I found my V7 Stone to require more of a break-in/loosening up period than any other bike I've ever owned. The difference by maybe 5k was amazing, felt much more willing to rev.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
The dealer in PA has a '14 Special with a great price tag, but bot the color combo i like, and while i do like spoked rims, i would prefer tubeless tires.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=61524

Here you go, grab these with all the money you save on the '14 Special.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:32:54 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 08:32:18 PM »
Vary camp is the one i usually follow. I'd usually go easy for 50 to 100 miles (depending on the bike) and won't be too concerned about the break in after that. Doesn't mean i only shift at red lines after the first 100 miles, just no babying.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Need your help convincing myself! PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »
Vary camp is the one i usually follow. I'd usually go easy for 50 to 100 miles (depending on the bike) and won't be too concerned about the break in after that. Doesn't mean i only shift at red lines after the first 100 miles, just no babying.
Perfect in my book...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=61524
Here you go, grab these with all the money you save on the '14 Special.
Those are good looking wheels!
I am a former Elmhurst queens resident, my brother lives on St. Marks place between 4th and 5th aves.  I now live near Bear Mt. in Monroe NY.

I had warranty work done on my Griso at Brooklyn Vespa and they were prompt and professional.  Moto Borogato is a restoration shop for all European bikes, Works performance is over by Macarran Park and are under new management if not new ownership.

As noted in another thread there are competent "shade tree" mechanics in the area who will be happy to walk you through the basics in an afternoon.  There is no reason to return to the dealer after purchase.  If your dealer is not on the short list i wouldn't trust the set up, nor would I have them do the first service.  DIY is a cheaper and safer bet.  Just make sure to document everything you do in terms of maintenance:  Receipts for the correct oil, filters and wear parts and inspection intervals for the valves, etc. to cover yourself if something goes wrong and you need warranty service.

Post here after you get your bike and see who wants to come over and give you the benefit of our experience.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »

In regards to weeping oil through various gaskets and breathers over time, it isn't something a new gasket won't fix correct?

Unfortunately the spoked wheels on the V7 special aren't tubeless like they are on the Griso, I hope the change that for the V7II

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »
I lived in or commuted to Manhattan for a decade, parking my motorcycles on the street about seven months a year. Never had a bike stolen but they got knocked down regularly and parts stolen off them. Garage it.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Allflatblack

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
I parked my Triumph on the street in prospect heights for years. Big chain on the front wheel, steering locked. It is rarely a problem. Get the right insurance, free new bike!
Try motorcycle mall in Belleville nj, five miles away. Cheaper than brooklyn by far.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 06:57:17 PM »
I parked my Triumph on the street in prospect heights for years. Big chain on the front wheel, steering locked. It is rarely a problem. Get the right insurance, free new bike!
Try motorcycle mall in Belleville nj, five miles away. Cheaper than brooklyn by far.

Do NOT go near the Motorcycle Mall for a Guzzi.  There's a reason I drove 1 1/2 hours  from south Jersey to Eurosports in PA.  Initial setup is everything with a new Guzzi.  If they do it right, you should never have to go back unless some major warranty issue needs to be addressed.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
I hear people say set-up is important, and maybe it has been in the past. But my observation on new V7S suggest a lot of the ones I've come across just plain weren't set up (clutches out of adjustment, cable poorly routed,  plug wires rubbing on tank etc.).

Just WHAT are they setting up?

And since it seems like nothing, then maybe, just maybe, they're coming out of the factory kinda right these days.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »
I hear people say set-up is important, and maybe it has been in the past. But my observation on new V7S suggest a lot of the ones I've come across just plain weren't set up (clutches out of adjustment, cable poorly routed,  plug wires rubbing on tank etc.).

Just WHAT are they setting up?

And since it seems like nothing, then maybe, just maybe, they're coming out of the factory kinda right these days.

Yes, small stuff like that. They also took mine for a test ride to make sure fueling was spot on.  Any low speed surging, etc. may have been detected?  Maybe one of the dealers will chime in to let us know exactly what they do?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:33:37 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
Yes, small stuff like that. They also took mine for a test ride to make sure fueling was spot on.  Any low speed surging, etc. may have been detected? 
Nah, what would they have done about it? It's not like they are adjusting maps. They load the canned OEM or not.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

redrider

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
"In regards to weeping oil through various gaskets and breathers over time, it isn't something a new gasket won't fix correct?"

Get some Allen wrenches and snug up the fasteners in the vicinity of the weepage. Vibration, temperature cycling and metallurgy are strange bed fellows.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 06:30:36 AM »
Nah, what would they have done about it? It's not like they are adjusting maps. They load the canned OEM or not.

I also took it for a short spin.  I do know this, if it ran like crap I wouldn't have signed the papers.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 06:38:18 AM »
I also took it for a short spin.  I do know this, if it ran like crap I wouldn't have signed the papers.
Sure, but to be fair, you could have done that a M Mall too.

I think it's rare that one runs like crap, and when it DOES then the dealership typically tests/replaces parts - like the TBI unit and viola.

This isn't the old days where they can adjust mixtures via screws or jets, or even balance EFI throttle bodies.

So unless they have a Rexxer or something they're not adjusting maps, and even then, they'd probably charge extra for that.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:38:52 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »
Good to hear about professionalism of the Brooklyn Vespa! They seem alright, but what do I know!

I've been to Motorcycle Mall and didn't like it there. Doubt i would either buy a bike from them or have them service it. A guy, who I almost bought W650 from, had service/troubleshooting done by them and they haven't fixed the problem but charged $300 and told him he's good to go. A few miles later bike stalled on the highway.

Shade tree mechanics are a golden dozen. I have one for my car, but haven't needed one for my bike yet. So will be looking. Doesn't seem like there are many of them in NYC.

In regards to the "upgrades" i'm looking to make with the bike, here's the list:

1. Crash Bars (seen a bike that took a fall with these and engine cases weren't touched at all).

2. Sump extender (i've read through a lot of mixed opinions, but based on what I understand, it's just a good thing to have for security purposes).

3. Aftermarket mufflers (thinking Mistral? Based on what i've seen and heard, they're pretty good on the V7s).

4. K&N air filter (not a pod, just replacement for the stock. Always used K&N in all of my vehicles and am happy with their  performance).

5. Having the exhaust and the filter changed, i'm assuming i'd need the ECU reflash? (Have read a few threads where Todd was mentioned? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but how exactly and where exactly can the reflash done if needed.) i'm assuming, like most bikes, V7 comes lean from the factory. And after the upgrades it could become even leaner and that's why the reflash needs (or doesn't it?) to be done?

The rest of the stuff would be cosmetic, so not as important.

Now, anyone has a center stand? Can one keep both, the side and the center stands? Is it needed or waste of money and extra weight?

Thanks again for all of your help and opinions! Truly appreciate!

- Joe

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here