Author Topic: help changing angle of seat- SGC  (Read 2341 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
help changing angle of seat- SGC
« on: October 29, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »
Hey guys-  so, the Aprilia Shiver I picked up on a whim is great fun (and it sits next to my 1200S in the garage< Guzzi content). However, I find that the canted forward seat angle is a real pain. I've added tank grip pads, but you still tend to slide forward into the saddle until you are against the tank and your pants are all bunched up (hence, I gather, the term "crotch rocket"). As far as I can tell, the only reason to angle the seat is to give the bike an "aggressive look". I guess one could also say that this pulls the rider forward for more weight forward on the bike. Who cares- it's uncomfortable. When I move back against the bum stop, it's just great...but you gradually slide forward.

Is this a case of sending the pan out and having someone reshape the foam and recover it? Is there something I'm missing (like the joys of having your pants all bunched up or why slamming your taint against the tank makes for a better riding experience??)

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: help changing angle of seat- SGC
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
you could try an Airhawk pad before re doing the seat.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

nunzio

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »
Custom seat will take car of the problem.

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »
You could improve things if you are willing to take it apart. Current seats are usually made of a plastic base on top of which is a dense foam covered with vinyl. Remove the staples holding the vinyl, separate the foam from the base with an exacto knife, shape a wedge from an similar dendsity foam and place it on the base, where you want it raised, put back the original foam and check if the seat is now level to your liking. Add or remove from the wedge till you get it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
To expand a bit on Dan S's suggestion, I got my Cali Stone seat back from Ned's 2 years ago with the same downward slant.  I put up with it for a year.  Then, I got one of those old TV-ad "Ginsu" knives for a buck at a Goodwill store.  I used that to cut the wedge Dan suggests.  A long, thin blade may make the job neater and easier.  Any way the downward slant is removed is a good way.  I like my Ned's seat a lot more now that it parallels the ground.  I wish seat makers would pay attention to this.  It's not a recent discovery.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
I think it's a styling thing, and a reflection of the unfortunate but observable fact that most motorcycle riders don't ride their motorcycles enough to know if the seat is comfortable for them or not.

And since the manufacturers know that since "they can't please everyone", then they might as well please themselves and design a rakish-looking seat that goes with the line of the motorcycle rather than any practical help toward being comfortable.   Any bike I buy, I budget the cost of a new seat for it .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:23:50 AM »
Well, at least I know it's not me. I took some ensolite foam from an old back pad, sliced it up, and taped it to the seat to see if it made a difference. I didn't get it quite right, but I can certainly see that this is the trial and error way to dial in exactly what you want.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
I agree with Lannis on this. Most OEM's just style their seats to look cool. You could cut away a wedge of foam to level it more, but that could bring your tailbone even closer to the pan and cause more pain. Adding a wedge to the front to level it and sculpting it in smooth will increase the seat height. Only you can know if that is OK for you.

I've done seats for 19 years now. Use a very high density foam. I just use a fine toothed hack saw blade to cut foam. Then I use a 8" 22 grit sanding disk at 10k rpm to smooth it and blend it.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

canuguzzi

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:12:31 AM »
In just about every town or city is someone who can reshape the seat for you, no custom seat needed. It is often inexpensive to do. Check around with some bike shops, HD shops often have good sources or recommendations.

Reshaping saves money, is quick and can often give you exactly what you want instead of some OTC custom seat.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
In just about every town or city is someone who can reshape the seat for you, no custom seat needed. It is often inexpensive to do. Check around with some bike shops, HD shops often have good sources or recommendations.

Reshaping saves money, is quick and can often give you exactly what you want instead of some OTC custom seat.

You have to be careful, though.   Unless the person is fully aware of and into motorcycle seats, they will generally use a foam that is too soft and not dense enough by far .... If they're just re-carving and shaping the existing foam, it's OK, but as Rich said, you're likely going to be removing foam that you NEED to pad the seat ....

I suppose if it was easy, we'd all be doing it ... !

Lannis

canuguzzi

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »
Why seeing examples and checking recommendations is part of due diligence when ordering any service, even from well known sources.

Another trick, to see what else might be affected (like the reach to the bars etc) costs about $5.:

Get a plastic trash bag and shoot some of the gap filling foam into it. Put it on the seat and get to your ideal position and hold. Wait just a few seconds for the foam to start expanding before sitting on it. What you'll end up with is a butt pan of your ideal seated position. Then you can try out all your controls. If you cut off the excess you can even tape it on for a short ride, see how the position works.

Then you have a model for a reshape and to determine if you need a different seat or reshape.

Seat foam isn't rocket science, sources for it are readily available to those doing that kind if work.

I wouldn't let someone sweep my garage pad with checking references and reports if quality if work. Same applies here. Some well known seat makers have screwed over customers or botched jobs so beware if going with the flow.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
Why seeing examples and checking recommendations is part of due diligence when ordering any service, even from well known sources.

Another trick, to see what else might be affected (like the reach to the bars etc) costs about $5.:

Get a plastic trash bag and shoot some of the gap filling foam into it. Put it on the seat and get to your ideal position and hold. Wait just a few seconds for the foam to start expanding before sitting on it. ....

Sounds like a good idea.   I've made an impression for seat shaping on floral foam before, but sitting on the expanding foam while it's expanding might be ... more fun.   I'd better not try it, I might get to liking it ....   :laugh: :wink:

canuguzzi

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
Sounds like a good idea.   I've made an impression for seat shaping on floral foam before, but sitting on the expanding foam while it's expanding might be ... more fun.   I'd better not try it, I might get to liking it ....   :laugh: :wink:

Just make darn sure there are no holes in the bag and no pens or pencils in your back pocket. The foam will seep through and it can get rather warm as it seeps into your pants.  :wink:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here