Author Topic: 2015 Daytona Bikeweek and Pics  (Read 35388 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2015 Daytona Bikeweek March 6-15
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »
We are working on a time for the Oatmeal run and Friday morning, after the Martin's lunch, is emerging as the best morning for the most people.

I'm hoping to make an organized ride out of it, perhaps beginning at the Flagler Beach Pier at 8:30AM.

Stephen, can't you hang around a while longer???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:07:10 PM by leafman60 »

swbrenton

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
We are working on a time for the Oatmeal run and Friday morning, after the Martin's lunch, is emerging as the best morning for the most people.

I'm hoping to make an organized ride out of it, perhaps beginning at the Flagler Beach Pier at 8AM.

Stephen, can't you hang around a while longer???

Nope.  I have to make it a short bike week this year.  Friday - Wed. only.   >:(

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
If you make it to Red Ember cycles please meet the owner BG (bald guy)
He's quite the character but a good guy from what little time I was around him! Every day a tech training in Costa Mesa was interesting with him around!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »
Red Ember is where the last Moto Guzzi dealer was located, about a block north of the Triumph/Ducati/BMW dealer in Daytona Beach.  I was in there last year.  They had 3-4 new Guzzi bikes on the floor, a couple Guzzi bikes on consignment, and a mix of other stuff.  Nice guys.  It's not a high volume shop.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2015, 05:44:37 AM »
I've been to Red Ember several times.

Maybe they are improving but most of my impressions are that they were primarily a Guzzi Dealer In Name Only, Guzzi DINO. They have pretty much been an independent pirate shop dealing in used Harleys, Jap Clones and scooters.

They often would have only 2 or 3 Guzzi models on the floor. Before I purchased my Stelvio,  I asked them about one.  They were not sure what it was.  Upon looking it up, the guy told me they could order me one. It would be straight MSRP and I had to pay for it before ordering. Unless they have changed, they stocked very few parts or service items for Guzzi.

Last year, they had a few more models of Guzzi bikes amidst dozens of used cruisers and scooters.

Maybe things are looking up for them.  I hope they do well and become a full-fledged Guzzi dealer along with whatever else they are selling.

This is from Bike Week 2013. Red Ember had one new Guzzi and one used Guzzi. Everything else is non-Guzzi-
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:58:48 AM by leafman60 »

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
^^^  I hope they have changed for the better, as well.  The math suggests this might be so.  Free test-rides of new Aprilia and Moto Guzzi models from each of THREE locations.  Unless they are planning on having people wait a while for their turn, or sending people scurrying all over town to sample some of each, or just flat-out disappointing people, they would have to be stocking a few demos of each of the two brands' several models in order to pull this off -- plus the staff to run it all.  Fingers crossed.

BTW, you missed an opportunity:  A Guzzisti-In-Name -Only?  That's obviously a GINO.  ;)
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
^^^  I hope they have changed for the better, as well.  The math suggests this might be so.  Free test-rides of new Aprilia and Moto Guzzi models from each of THREE locations.  Unless they are planning on having people wait a while for their turn, or sending people scurrying all over town to sample some of each, or just flat-out disappointing people, they would have to be stocking a few demos of each of the two brands' several models in order to pull this off -- plus the staff to run it all.  Fingers crossed.

BTW, you missed an opportunity:  A Guzzisti-In-Name -Only?  That's obviously a GINO.  ;)

Ha!  They weren't even pretending to be Guzzisti! 

"A what?" Stelvio. "Stelvio?"  Yes, it's their version of a GS. "Oh yeah, cool bro.  I think I saw that in a magazine."

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
Hummm, what's this about demo rides from three locations?  Guzzi and Aprilia?  That could be serious fun.  Any more details?

Peter Y.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
Look up (Reply #57)
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 12:23:30 PM »
You'd think they would at least do a spell check on an advertisement they are running! Motto Guzzi? Comming?

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Actually, I'm surprised to see the demo rides for Guzzi or Aprilia.  Liability issues have caused the major manufacturers to pull back from demo rides at Daytona.  Last year HD had a big presence but most of the other folks were limiting the rides to cruisers and only on a loop around the airport.  Of course part of that problem might have been driven by construction at the speedway.  Ducati and BMW ran rides from the dealer location downtown and those were very closely supervised...low fun quotient.  It's even more surprising to hear that these demos will be from three locations, given the minimal staffing at the dealer and his limited stock of bikes.  Maybe MGNA is offering some help and a supply of bikes.  6 days until the truth comes out.

Peter Y.

dilligaf

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 03:10:28 PM »
Just called to confirm.  The phone number is 386 226-0068.  Said they were offering demo rides at the "National Speedway". I guess that's the race track  ???  :BEER:
Matt

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »
I was at Red Ember about an hour and a half ago. Piaggio will be hosting demo rides at the speedway. There will be one V7 special and one V7 stone to demo. If I heard right there will be 7 Cali 1400's to demo. 3 touring and 4 custom. No stelvio or griso. I think that this is a big step for the brand exposure and I will be there to support it. That means I will be riding some new guzzi 1400's. Bring it on. I think that Justin at Red Ember deserves a lot of kudos for his part in getting Piaggio to do this. He has been working on this for a long time.
 The shop was also remodeled and there are 8 cali 1400's and 5 V7's in there along with a bunch of new Vespa's.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2015, 04:09:30 PM »
I was at Red Ember about an hour and a half ago. Piaggio will be hosting demo rides at the speedway. There will be one V7 special and one V7 stone to demo. If I heard right there will be 7 Cali 1400's to demo. 3 touring and 4 custom. No stelvio or griso. I think that this is a big step for the brand exposure and I will be there to support it. That means I will be riding some new guzzi 1400's. Bring it on. I think that Justin at Red Ember deserves a lot of kudos for his part in getting Piaggio to do this. He has been working on this for a long time.
 The shop was also remodeled and there are 8 cali 1400's and 5 V7's in there along with a bunch of new Vespa's.

Wow, that sounds good.

dan407

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »
Wow...that's great news.
I haven't seen MG doing demo rides at the speedway in years.
This should help the local dealer.  Hard to sell bikes that nobody sees.

Dan

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 05:06:21 PM »
 ;-T :+1

Let's go ride them puppies!  It would be a damn shame for the bikes to just sit in the paddock.  They need to be rolling!

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 05:57:10 PM »
;-T :+1

Let's go ride them puppies!  It would be a damn shame for the bikes to just sit in the paddock.  They need to be rolling!

Amen

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
I think 1400 test rides will be a real hit.  Ride a Cali back to back to Harley, Indian, Victory, Asian, etc., and the 1400 will come off pretty good.

I wonder what will happen to all those demo bikes?   :pop
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:24 AM »
I wonder what will happen to all those demo bikes?   :pop

Dave Richardson in Seattle will probably get them to sell at bargain prices!

I wish we could test ride them like Harley has their demo test loop set up. They cut you loose on a relatively nice route without a guide. You have more of an opportunity to  get a feel of the bike.  These typical guided test rides where everybody stays lined up like a bunch of baby quail and you run 50 MPH don't do much for me.

I remember test riding a BMW R1200S when they were first introduced. I later bought one but the test ride did very little to give me an idea of what that thing would do.

Of course, I realize pure mayhem would probably result if all the test riders were given free reign out and about the racetrack vicinity.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:29:25 AM by leafman60 »

dilligaf

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Back in my BMW and Moto Guzzi dealership days,  BMW of North America provided the BMW Demo Bikes I could have cared less where or how you rode their demo.   ;D I owned the Moto Guzzi demos and I always road along on another motorcycle.   ;D I just didn't want people beating up my motorcycles.  ::( Then someone demoed a Harley, from Low Country Harley, and didn't bring it back.   :o  It was called "theft by deception" and  Phil's insurance didn't cover "theft by deception".   ??? Guess what?  Phil and I had the same insurance agent.  :(  That was the end of turning folks loose with the demo bikes.  ::(   :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:10:33 AM by dilligaf »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
Back in my BMW and Moto Guzzi dealership days,  BMW of North America provided the BMW Demo Bikes I could have cared less where or how you rode their demo.   ;D I owned the Moto Guzzi demos and I always road along on another motorcycle.   ;D I just didn't want people beating up my motorcycles.  ::( Then someone demoed a Harley, from Low Country Harley, and didn't bring it back.   :o  It was called "theft by deception" and  Phil's insurance didn't cover "theft by deception".   ??? Guess what?  Phil and I had the same insurance agent.  :(  That was the end of turning folks loose with the demo bikes.  ::(   :BEER:
Matt

I wonder if HD has a problem with people running away, riding off and stealing their bikes at Bike Week. Never heard about it.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
A lot of HD's and Wings down here in the Keys right now.  Not one Guzzi spotted yet.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:51:27 AM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Brian in FL

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
Martin's at Flagler beach on THURSDAY, MARCH 12  AT 12:00 NOON.

http://martinsrestaurantfl.com/

If you are fairly certain you will be there, please post it so we can get an idea of a headcount.  I always like giving them advance notice for saving a table.

I plan on being there as long as it's not cold and rainy...Saturday we had some nasty "winter" storm...couldn't even golf (first Saturday missed all winter)...but it's been in 70's all week so far.

Yes, we will be there this year but with our Fiat since we didn't bring a bike this year. We will also be at the Celtic festival at St augustine one of those days. When is the meet at that Penthannon (spell)

How do you like you new KTM?  Hopefully will see ya at both Matins and Celtic festival...I'll be the one wearing a kilt. 

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 09:59:29 AM »
Anyone thinking they'll do The Oatmeal Run with us on Friday morning @ 8:30 from Flagler Pier ?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:08:14 PM by leafman60 »

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
^^^ Would you mind summarizing all of the details?  I am having trouble piecing them together from your prior posts.  Thanks.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 10:53:32 AM »
I wonder if HD has a problem with people running away, riding off and stealing their bikes at Bike Week. Never heard about it.

All the HD demo bikes at Bike Week have a transponder installed.  If you ride off the designated airport loop they get an alert and can track, like LoJack.

dilligaf

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
Right now I am planning on meeting everyone at Mary's but I've a lot on my plate so not sure.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »
Dave Richardson in Seattle will probably get them to sell at bargain prices!

I wish we could test ride them like Harley has their demo test loop set up. They cut you loose on a relatively nice route without a guide. You have more of an opportunity to  get a feel of the bike.  These typical guided test rides where everybody stays lined up like a bunch of baby quail and you run 50 MPH don't do much for me.

I remember test riding a BMW R1200S when they were first introduced. I later bought one but the test ride did very little to give me an idea of what that thing would do.

Of course, I realize pure mayhem would probably result if all the test riders were given free reign out and about the racetrack vicinity.

yeah, it's great how Harley does it.  You get signed up and you get in line and wait until you see a bike you want to ride.  You follow the course which it probably 5 miles on your own and come back.  And then you get back, you can do it all over again.  The bikes all have tracers on them.  If you're gone too long, they can find you.  I missed a sign on one my rides and just told them about it.  No big deal and they explained how they can trace the bike and some of the stories of folks that took day trips and got busted.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

dilligaf

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »
So what happens if you get busted.  I had one of Charleston's Finest keep a R80ST overnight.  When he returned the motorcycle the tank had a dent in the side.  Wasn't a thing I could do about it.  :BEER:
Matt 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 05:48:18 PM »
My first Guzzi ride was at Bike week. We left in a group, and immediately were at go straight to jail speeds.  ;D  ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here