Author Topic: Well that was not fun... hit from behind at a stop light...!  (Read 34018 times)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Well that was not fun... hit from behind at a stop light...!
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »

After some early morning motorcycle maintenance I went out geocaching this fine Sunday, I was headed back to the barn, stopped at a traffic light one half mile from home, V11 Cali Jackal in neutral as is always my practice and then Whammm..

In one instance I was thrown  from my mount and over onto the left side rolling away from the motorcycle.

Stupid f'n broad behind me in a 2014 Camaro rammed into me good...  Damn.  Had I been in gear, I would have had my hands on the bars, at least the left side and I may have been propelled into crossing traffic..!    :o

As I gathered my thoughts about what just happened, I rolled over into the next lane which I was already occupying half of, I got up and could not hold my tongue and I was less than understanding as I tore her a new one. 

I finally did calm the adrenalin rush, exchange information and I told her I would be in touch. 

There is some tightness in my lower back and left shoulder where I landed after the hit, I continued home and went out for some exercise to keep myself loosened up.  when I got back I hit the hot tub for a bit, might go back again later...

In California, if there is no personal injury that requires an ambulance there is not need to have police present, I called from the scene before letting the asshat go. 

The way she hit the motorcycle the right side National Cycles saddle bag is toast, tore the mount free and I can probably repair it but geez...   ::(

Are the NC bags still in production...?

I had not noticed the clutch lever being broken off at the pivot.  I ordered a replacement from Gordon to be rushed in a day or so.

A nice couple behind the idiot jumped right out of their Dodge truck and came to ask if I was ok and all that, helped pick up the motorcycle, actually, I was not much help, they offered their info as well in the event that I would need a witness to the incident.

What an odd feeling, sitting there and boom doing a backwards summersault, didn't know I could do that...!  Knocked the magnetic tank bag right off and it landed ten feet away.

Anyway,  I have done a fairly thorough  check for other damage and the Guzzi actually faired pretty well.

Be careful out there…

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline T-3Dave

• Hatchling
Re: Well that was not fun... hit from behind at a stop light...!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »
That sucks, Rob.  Glad you are relatively ok and the bike can be fixed.  Was she texting, on the phone or flat out just "didn't see" you?
Dave

2002 California Stone - 1978 Robin
AMA Charter Life 620471
Blue Knights AL VIII
IBA 47955

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »
Holee Christ, that very nearly happened to me one night, going home from work on my Suzuki ... I heard screeching tires, looked in the mirror, and two boneheads in a small Oldsmobile were sliding up to my rear fender. I still get a bit shaky thinking about it. Glad you were able to get back up on two legs, not a "lottery" you want to win.
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:57 PM »
Yuck. Glad you're okay. Sounds like the saddlebox saved the bike.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:57 PM »

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
Exercise after getting nailed from behind and thrown from your bike is the last thing you need to do. After trauma the body hurts and needs to repair and during that time you do less not more. I would have gone to the ER and had my back x-rayed just to make sure.  :beat_horse
I truly hope you are OK but do not ignore any lingering pain or sharp pain.  Just coming from a guy who has treated lots of trauma in a major medical center.
 Not to mention I am also a guy who low sided his Mille at 45 MPH in a gravel patch at apex of a curve. I went to the hospital I  worked that morning in an ambulance:  had whip lash for 2 months.

Red 90 Mille GT

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
wow.  Glad you're well enough to write this.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:03:01 PM »
I feel your pain brother.  This is one of the reasons I'm nervous about doing a tour of Socal.  It was scary enough for me to take the trailer down to Malibu to pick up my Griso.  The highway is so bad the trailer hitch pin came undone.  I picked up a hardened bolt and double nuts as a repair for the trip back.

Take it easy and remember to medicate.  After I my 60th birthday I seem to injure myself more and take a looong time to heal.

As Oddball would say, think positive and keep those good waves going.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:03:28 PM »
Exercise after getting nailed from behind and thrown from your bike is the last thing you need to do. After trauma the body hurts and needs to repair and during that time you do less not more. I would have gone to the ER and had my back x-rayed just to make sure.  :beat_horse
I truly hope you are OK but do not ignore any lingering pain or sharp pain.  Just coming from a guy who has treated lots of trauma in a major medical center.
 Not to mention I am also a guy who low sided his Mille at 45 MPH in a gravel patch at apex of a curve. I went to the hospital I  worked that morning in an ambulance:  had whip lash for 2 months.

:+1

Old man, you're going to be hurting in the morning!   It's always worse the next day ....    Might better plan on a trip to the doctor tomorrow for painkillers if not Xrays .....

Sock it to the woman who hit you.   No excuse for that .....

Lannis  
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:05:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that Rob. I try to make sure I'm not the first at a light and if I am, I stay towards one side away from the center and in gear checking my mirrors. If someone comes up quick, hopefully I can pull forward. Dang. I think those bags are still being sold. Check ebay?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:09:10 PM »
Dammit....I've been really ended on a bike...years ago.  Ory to read you did too!  

Any way of knowing if she might have been using a phone, or otherwise not engaged with situational driving??????

Scares hell out of me, all these folks multitasking their driving....so I wonder if that might have been a factor with yours??

Awfully glad to read you are OK!!!!  But strongly advise you see your Doc....for the record.

Concerned,

Lee
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 08:14:50 PM »
Sorry to hear Rob. While you're tearing her a new one, grab the cell phone to see if she was texting at the time of the hit.  Probably was. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:30:41 PM »

Let me clarify "Exercise"...  What I meant by that was to at least walk, not run a marathon and not lay down so as to stiffen up. 

I went out geocaching a bit more after getting the Guzzi home and clearing my head of what just took place.  It was jut light walking and driving in the car. 

Yes, I will probably feel worse in the AM, I will decide whether to go for X-rays or at least a check up for the record.

I did ask (not very nicely I might add) whether the hitter was on the phone and she said no, I did not ask to see her cell. 

On a more materialistic note, glad to hear that the cases are still being made, I would prefer a replacement vs. a repair.

Thanks all.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
Glad you're ok and I don't believe for a second she didn't see you.

Given the law you mentioned, I would have stayed down and waited for the cops to come.
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »

Given the law you mentioned, I would have stayed down and waited for the cops to come.

One the one hand, that's a tempting strategy to keep her on her toes and get her insurance company's mind right ....  ~;

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to look like a modern soccer player ... touch them on the sleeve and they fall onto the ground in agony, rolling around clutching some body part and then limping off the pitch with someone helping them ..... (little girl emoticon here)

I think Rob's doing it right after all!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

hammick

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:48 PM »
Riding an R1200GSA I get to see a lot of what happens inside cars and some SUVs.  Lot of texting going on.  I've even seen a cop texting while driving.

Scares the crap out of me.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »
9 times out of 10 we, the victim automatically say we're OK if asked then how we are.   That's before our body let's us know how badly we are REALLY hurt.  If what happened to me(you) I would have let whatever happens play out, assuming the car driver that hit you has insurance.  The more costly the incident, the better your case against her.   ;)  

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »
9 times out of 10 we, the victim automatically say we're OK if asked then how we are.   That's before our body let's us know how badly we are REALLY hurt.  If what happened to me(you) I would have let whatever happens play out, assuming the car driver that hit you has insurance.  The more costly the incident, the better your case against her.   ;)   Since she rear ended you she's guilty no matter what.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:16:17 PM »
Heck the cop should have checked her phone.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »
That both blows and sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Almost a year ago to the day my 2-day old Forester was rear-ended while I was stopped at a stop light, and I couldn't help but rip the woman who hit me a new one.

Rich A

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »
That both blows and sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Almost a year ago to the day my 2-day old Forester was rear-ended while I was stopped at a stop light, and I couldn't help but rip the woman who hit me a new one.

Rich A

Did you get a new 1 for replacement, or?

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 09:50:27 PM »
So sorry to hear this, Rob. Get well, and hope it turns out ok!
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
  I had that in 1978 at the stop sign on an exit from I-5 in Washington.
 I stopped completely without  taking my feet off the pegs. There being no cars moving along to road I was entering, I was letting out the clutch and was slammed hard from behind.  Acceleration forces pinned me onto the hood of the car that hit me as I heard the engine rev to gain speed.  I could see my bike in the air out front doing an end over loop before crashing to the pavement.  Realizing she had had an oops, the driver slammed on the brakes sending me
 mighty mousing over my bike.  When I stopped sliding I lay there feeling for broken bones.  She instantly exited her car and squatted down putting her face close to mine and screaming, "I DID'NT SEE YOU".  I think she believed that this phrase absolved her of all responsibility.  She was a cute little 27 year old
 and said she was on the way to a funeral.  I asked, "Mine?"
  About that time a young state trooper appeared, seeing a large biker on the ground he insisted I show all my registration and legalities why he tried to figure how fast I had been going when I backed into her.  He never did check her for insurance although he did check mine.
 It turned out later that she didn't have any.  He did not ticket her for hitting me or running the stop sign.  Being in a state of shock I did not notice these things.  I guess it helps if you are a young attractive lady when dealing with a young state trooper.
 The frame on my bike was bent, handlebars ditto, shift lever and such other small damage as could be expected.  I suffered a cracked elbow but did not know it for several days.
 I was on my way to report for duty on my new ship and as it was underway for most of the next three months I never had much chance to follow up on legalities.
  What I learned was don't sign anything or make any statements while you are in shock.  I had to threaten her with a lawsuit and criminal charges to get her to pay the repairs on the bike.  She never did pay any medical expenses.
 Since this was in the time before texting and cell phones,  It is my guess that she intended to run the stop sign and was looking over her left shoulder as she did so.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 10:09:30 PM »

Rich A

I could not stop Rich, the more I talked in a caustic, I wanna rip you head off tone, the more I ranted.  I was shaking badly and knew I really should give her a break and shut up but I just could not.  I did finally calm down.

When I got up I was aware that my bare forearms (wearing a polo shirt) had hit the tarmac so I looked and I was surprised to see on light scrapes, no blood.  

I announced out loud though that my back feels odd, I knew I had been jolted off the motorcycle.  

Not being an athlete that can take a hit like that without some tightness and discomfort, I knew I would have some pain. Tomorrow will tell whether there are any real issues.

I told the hitter that I would get checked out and let her know how it shakes out.

Gave me a giggle later in the day to think that I now know what "ass over bandwagon" is...
 ::)

Edit: I found some National Cycles cases, used, not far from here, a couple more on eBay...

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:11:07 PM by radguzzi »
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »
Of course it's an old cliche that "it could've been worse", but any hit is NFG.
I ride daily on So. Cal. and I'm in neutral during most stops unless I know it's a short one, and checking mirrors when I can.
Good luck on getting the bike back to where it was.
Kirk

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 11:43:03 PM »
    Sorry to hear about your luck. I understand the instant rage. I had a dummie heading head on into me so much so that I had to steer off the road and into a parking lot to avoid collision. When I turned around and confronted the lady at the stop sign all she kept screaming was "It's a one way". It in fact was not a one way to witch I replied and asked even the road were a one way (it was definitely not) would you just have run head on into me??? The answer is yes because she never strayed from the center of the road. All a got was a dumb look like she didn't get it and like I had done something wrong. It makes me mad to this day.   

lucydad

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 05:59:05 AM »
Rob,

Not much to add except sorry for the mal-event, and hope your body is functioning without pain this morning.  Bike can be fixed.

Coulda been a lot worse.  Definitely one of the worst scenarios in Houston.  Blessings.

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:49 AM »
Accidents are unfortunate, and I believe most are preventable.  I use every instance to learn more about prevention, and knowing more about this accident would be helpful.

Rob, how is it possible that you were sitting motionless in the roadway and not aware of vehicle approaching from the rear? 

Do you regularly ride in a polo shirt?

Ciao,
Dick
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »
WTH is it with people hitting Jackals, that's at least the second in less than a year on this board alone... ugh...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Joe A.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 07:27:21 AM »
Exercise after getting nailed from behind and thrown from your bike is the last thing you need to do. After trauma the body hurts and needs to repair and during that time you do less not more. I would have gone to the ER and had my back x-rayed just to make sure.  :beat_horse
I truly hope you are OK but do not ignore any lingering pain or sharp pain.  Just coming from a guy who has treated lots of trauma in a major medical center.
 Not to mention I am also a guy who low sided his Mille at 45 MPH in a gravel patch at apex of a curve. I went to the hospital I  worked that morning in an ambulance:  had whip lash for 2 months.

This!!!!! Glad you faired relatively well. I would be interested in what she had to say.

No, let me guess, "I didn't see you."

Well, I  guess that's ok, she's only human ::(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:28:04 AM by Joe A. »

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
It can a few days for all the symptoms to manifest themselves after an injury.  I was rear ended in an 11 car pile, I was the last car hit from behind by a loaded car hauler.  I felt sore afterward, but within a few days I started having loss of feeling in my leg and severe neck and lower back pain.  went to Dr, and I have several herniated discs.

Dr wanted to operate, but I opted for therapy, took almost 3 years and several epidurals in the neck to control the pain, but it is better now, not like before the accident but I can function.  Still took another year to get the insurance to cover the bills, they only wanted to cover my out of pocket expenses.

Just remember, if you collect any money from the driver your insurance will want all their money back that they spent on getting you healed.  They will get it from you or the driver, so watch yourself with the insurance lawyers.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here