Author Topic: Well that was not fun... hit from behind at a stop light...!  (Read 34086 times)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: Well that was not fun... hit from behind at a stop light...!
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2015, 09:24:57 PM »

Ok, good idea I guess about informing my insurance folks....  I'll give them a call.  Thanks.

So, I installed the new clutch lever and removed the ride side case to try and assess the mounts and rear frame section..

According to the measurements and examination for stress cracks all that looks good.

Took her for a blast and even the bars seem ok, the motorcycle was really only knocked over onto the left side and the ride side case took and absorbed all of the low speed impact. 

I submitted my best estimate of damages to the woman that hit the poor Guzzi and I have to say that I still feel like a bandit telling her the price of new National Cycles cases but I did an itemized list that included a mirror and the clutch lever...  at least the mounts are ok, they are not available any longer.

I expect that I will hear from an adjuster next...?

Best,
Rob

Headed for the hot tub...  ;)

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
I want to hear more about Dr. Toni.

Rich A

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »
Yeah, I am not a huge fan of insurance corporations, I just thought I would try and make the reimbursement as easy as possible so as to make it speedy...  
Now that you point out this fatal flaw, I guess I do realize that the insurance co does not give a hoot if I try to save them any coin.  I must have been thinking I was saving the hitter the bread... I dunno.

If I cannot find used ones then I will just give her the new, buy it now price... they are spendy and I really only need one, that would look great, one new case and one not-so-new... ::)

How does this work exactly, do I go buy bags and beg for funds or give them an estimate.  Does an "Adjuster come look at the damage...?  Not very experienced at accidents thanks goodness.

Thanks Steve, we will have to go on a Stelvio blast or two, love right back to Chia.  

Best,
rd

Understand... maybe I did bump my head... LOL   :D

My remarks are from personal experience on accidents and insur. co.s.  They don't all operate the same way.  Some will treat you right, some don't.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 02:08:18 AM »
I expect that I will hear from an adjuster next...?

You may have to phone her insurance company . . .
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 02:08:18 AM »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »
Do not deal with the lady who hit you. You want a one on one with the adjustor from her company. Get the claim number and contact phone number from the lady's insurance agent. Next talk directly with the company adjustor.

As for replacing the bags- don't sweat it. Everyone knows tha thte labor for a repair and refinish can exceed the cost of simple replacement. Point out both options and it should be clear.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2015, 02:11:17 PM »
Do not deal with the lady who hit you. You want a one on one with the adjustor from her company. Get the claim number and contact phone number from the lady's insurance agent. Next talk directly with the company adjustor.

Ooops, I sent the hitter the list-o-stuff that needs replacing.  I will call or text her for the claim number and POC at her insurance co.

Thanks,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »

Well this is not a great shock...!

With the initial dialog with the woman that hit the Guzzi she told me that there was a lot going on in her life but she wants to make this right.. blah, blah, blah...

After not hearing back from her or her insurance folks for a few days regarding the claim I started sending text messages twice daily and emails to her and I have finally received another message back stating that she is going through an ugly divorce, her husband cancelled the insurance and she is thinking of bankruptcy...  Great. 

She wants to know if I will be willing to accept a payment plan... ahh, no thanks.    I think I will have my insurance help and then be the first in line for collections when she files for bankruptcy...  ::)

Perfect.
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
Well...that sucks!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
Well this is not a great shock...!

With the initial dialog with the woman that hit the Guzzi she told me that there was a lot going on in her life but she wants to make this right.. blah, blah, blah...

After not hearing back from her or her insurance folks for a few days regarding the claim I started sending text messages twice daily and emails to her and I have finally received another message back stating that she is going through an ugly divorce, her husband cancelled the insurance and she is thinking of bankruptcy...  Great. 

She wants to know if I will be willing to accept a payment plan... ahh, no thanks.    I think I will have my insurance help and then be the first in line for collections when she files for bankruptcy...  ::)

Perfect.

That's exactly the way it usually goes.   AT THE TIME, people are all remorseful and apologetic and "will make it right".

But later, after they've "taken advice" and thought about it, they can convince themselves that THEY are the victim, they don't owe you anything, and they'll "get out of it" if they can.

The divorce, bankruptcy, etc is probably all lies anyway just to find a way out of it.    Been there, had it happen .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
I'd call her insurance company and start the claim myself.  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:50:19 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
This is why underinsured/uninsured insurance is so important these days. 

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »
I'd call her insurance company and start the claim myself.  

Well, here's the deal... 

I called the insurance company that she gave me at the scene and asked for any claims, none found.  Asked the helpful fellow on the phone if she was still a client with their company, no.

So, my insurance will take care of my issues and the state will be happy to hear from her (former) insurance company that she is no longer insured.

The saga takes a different turn...

Best,
Rob

This is why underinsured/uninsured insurance is so important these days. 

Right, I am now reaping the "Beneifits" of having paid my way.. and I get to pay hers too.   :P

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
You might offer to not explain her insurance status to the dmv in return for a one-time payment of the full amount.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
Well, here's the deal... 

I called the insurance company that she gave me at the scene and asked for any claims, none found.  Asked the helpful fellow on the phone if she was still a client with their company, no.

So, my insurance will take care of my issues and the state will be happy to hear from her (former) insurance company that she is no longer insured.

Best,
Rob

Right, I am now reaping the "Beneifits" of having paid my way.. and I get to pay hers too.   :P

Ugh so she lied to you. In North Carolina it is a computerized and you cancel/drop insurance they want your license plate pronto. They send the sheriff looking for it.  And if you do not have  insurance you cannot renew you plate.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
Well, here's the deal...  

I called the insurance company that she gave me at the scene and asked for any claims, none found. Asked the helpful fellow on the phone if she was still a client with their company, no.

Best,
Rob

Right, I am now reaping the "Beneifits" of having paid my way.. and I get to pay hers too.   :P

I was waiting for that shoe to drop.

I am glad you have additional insurance.  All I carry is liability.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:20:06 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »

I am glad you have additional insurance.  All I carry is liability.

Well, as it turns out, my insurance will not cover damage to the m/c, only cover my medical to which there was only the check up...  due to the under insured/ non insured situation.

So, the payment plan is looking better...
We'll see what happens but I am fully prepared to take a hit (no pun intended) on the m/c damages...  :P

Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
Rob , uninsured/under insured coverage only ever covers med . Leads to lots of confusion . Good luck with recovering monies from the other party .

Dusty

I just called my North Carolina Farm Bureau agent and my uninsured policy (only on vehicles that I have FULL comprehensive/collision) covers both medical and also damage to the vehicle.
Now even if my auto insurance did not cover medical on say my old pickup that only has liability on it then my regular health insurance kicks in coverage and I am screwed on the vehicle damage.  So my MC, and old pick up and old Honda Civic only have liability. They are not covered by the uninsured clause. But my nice car, the Sonata has full coverage and it is covered totally by uninsured part of the policy.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »
Rob,

Bad news, man- sorry to hear. The good intention to make payments is no more assuring than the good intentions at the scene. These things usually go where the person makes several payments then melts away. I am the type who would be pissed enough to take her to small claims court. It's very inexpensive and effortless. The outcome is assured. The result is that you get a judgment.  The result might be the same, a payment plan- but the consequences of her defaulting are more grave. Of course, if she does not want to be dragged through that, she can borrow the money from a dear friend NOW, pay you, then take the time to pay off the friend.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »
Harvey , N.C. law may be different . One question however , since your comp and collision already cover any losses from an uninsured motorist , minus the deductible , what is the UM actually covering ?

Dusty

Edit . A quick read of N.C. law re UM coverage indicates it does in fact only cover med , P&S , and lost wages . Even that is somewhat limited .

Dusty,
I checked and you are correct. Even on "liability only" policies I still have full uninsured coverage medical and vehicle on all my vehicles.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:27:52 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
Dusty,
I checked and you are correct. Even on "liability only" policies I still have full uninsured coverage medical and vehicle on all my vehicles.

I have had a couple of conversations with my insurance folks, one call my Wife took the call as I was busy elsewhere and heard the voice mail later but she was told that we are not insured for the m/c damage due to the uninsured part of tis sticky mess.

Oddly enough though, I heard from a different agent today regarding the personal injury which they are more than happy to take care of.

I'll call this first guy back and ask some questions.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »
My bikes would like total out at $1500 - $3500 (1998 Suzuki Bandit, 1998 EV, and 2001 V11 Sport).  Couple that with $1000 deductible and it hardly makes a difference for me to get full coverage.  If I ever an expensive bike, I might upgrade the insurance.  

:beat_horse

the uninsured medical can come in handy.  They will Subrogate with your health insurance company but it means you won't have deductibles and will have $10k or so of gap coverage.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:54:03 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
My coverage with progressive includes full comprehensive, plus $3k n accessories/gear, AND the disappearing deductible means the $500 becomes $100 out of pocket after four years without a claim...

I used it when I bent a $1200 wheel on Jenn's Duc.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2015, 05:14:37 AM »
When ever I deal with area I am not an expert in, I call the experts. We laymen do not know the ins and outs of the insurance profession. The insurance industry's job is to use premiums to make money, not pay claims. Insurance companies will collect your premiums, and when you try to place a claim, then they will investigate to look forways to deny claims. Do not believe the feel good advertising.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »
When ever I deal with area I am not an expert in, I call the experts. We laymen do not know the ins and outs of the insurance profession. The insurance industry's job is to use premiums to make money, not pay claims. Insurance companies will collect your premiums, and when you try to place a claim, then they will investigate to look forways to deny claims. Do not believe the feel good advertising.

Goose- excellent point.  Assuming that you do not work in the insurance business, I'd recommend that you keep your conspiratorial opinions to yourself. Insurance policies are a  contract between the company and the insured. They are bound by law to uphold that contract or face very severe fines. If the idiot that hit Rob did not have insurance- that's hardly the fault of some insurance company. If Rob somehow does not have insurance for uninsured motorists- that's not the fault of his insurance company. Arguably- I would say that a good insurance agent is paid to advise and guide thier clients into getting proper coverage.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re:
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
My coverage with progressive includes full comprehensive, plus $3k n accessories/gear, AND the disappearing deductible means the $500 becomes $100 out of pocket after four years without a claim...

I used it when I bent a $1200 wheel on Jenn's Duc.

I don't know about NJ, but "comprehensive" has always meant fire and theft coverage added to basic liability when I've gotten insurance.  It's usually very inexpensive, so I normally get it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32:11 AM »
Goose- excellent point.  Assuming that you do not work in the insurance business, I'd recommend that you keep your conspiratorial opinions to yourself. Insurance policies are a  contract between the company and the insured. They are bound by law to uphold that contract or face very severe fines. If the idiot that hit Rob did not have insurance- that's hardly the fault of some insurance company. If Rob somehow does not have insurance for uninsured motorists- that's not the fault of his insurance company. Arguably- I would say that a good insurance agent is paid to advise and guide thier clients into getting proper coverage.

boatdetective -

I don't think that Goose's take is "conspiratorial" at all, (and I even believe that cops are out there to enforce the law, not generate revenue!   ;-T )

I've had the same experience with almost every insurance company I've dealt with.  My take is from that experience, not some hard-on against the insurance business.  

When I'm being sold a policy, everything is generally sunlight, butterflies, and flowers.

But when I CLAIM against that policy (my OWN policy that I've paid for), THEN is when all the maggots start crawling out of the paperwork.   THIS isn't really covered, THAT'S not worth as much as you would have thought, now you have a CLAIM history and your premiums go up, OH LOOK, you don't have the properly updated documentation for what you lost, etc etc.

And it's worse if it's the OTHER person's insurance company.  You are their enemy.   Their job is to get you to "settle" for the minimum amount possible by any trick, scam, implied threat of litigation, whatever they can do to get out of it, NOT for a "just" amount of money, but for the LEAST amount of money they can, whether it's right and ethical or not.

And the "it's a contract" thing doesn't fly very far.   I'm required by LAW under penalties of fines and imprisonment to sign this "contract", or be prevented from using a motor vehicle on the highway.   As the old saying is, "A raped wench is not a wife".

Why would we not feel like we do about them?   Enquiring minds want to know ....  ???   :o

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:34:47 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Most states bundle Comp and collision as a package .

I'll agree that when you get full coverage, it includes fire and theft coverage, but if you get liability coverage and ask for comprehensive to be added, you wont have to buy full coverage insurance to get it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »
I'll agree that when you get full coverage, it includes fire and theft coverage, but if you get liability coverage and ask for comprehensive to be added, you wont have to buy full coverage insurance to get it.

I'm sorry, perhaps I mis-stated, perhaps it was the collision portion of the coverage, I'd have to check.

But in PA and also NJ it seems, at least with Progressive and Allstate it appears you get both in the same package (comprehensive and collision).

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »
I'm sorry, perhaps I mis-stated, perhaps it was the collision portion of the coverage, I'd have to check.

But in PA and also NJ it seems, at least with Progressive and Allstate it appears you get both in the same package (comprehensive and collision).

Things change over the years.  I just checked my Guzzi policy with Progressive, and I did not see an option to get comprehensive and basic liability only like I used to get with other companies.  It may be possible, but it wasn't on their online policy configurator.  I do know I've gotten quotes for that combination recently, so maybe you have to ask, but Kev and Dusty, your point is taken.   :)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
Things change over the years.  I just checked my Guzzi policy with Progressive, and I did not see an option to get comprehensive and basic liability only like I used to get with other companies.  It may be possible, but it wasn't on their online policy configurator.  I do know I've gotten quotes for that combination recently, so maybe you have to ask, but Kev and Dusty, your point is taken.   :)

After checking a 2nd time with my agent I have a firmer understanding of uninsured/underinsured clause.
Uninsured/underinsured  is an opt in clause and not automatic. I have to check the box to include the coverage. North Carolina Farm Bureau has a one time charge for all vehicles on the policy regardless if I have 1 vehicle or 4 vehicles: the price is the same.  I do not have to have full comprehensive and collision in order to opt in for Uninsured/underinsured coverage. If all my vehicles had just a liability coverage I can still opt in and get full coverage on the vehicle and medical  if I am not at fault and the other driver is not insured.
Red 90 Mille GT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here