Author Topic: Looking for information on the new California's  (Read 33319 times)

C908

Looking for information on the new California's
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm interested in getting feedback from those of you that own the new California. I currently ride a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic, please don't hold that against me. I'm thinking about making a change in the near future. Thanks

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Looking for information on the new California's
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »
Use our search feature.  There have been a lot of posts on the California 1400.

This will get you started:

Would you buy it again?
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74438.0

The California 1400 merged threadfest:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74438.0

The Cal 14 roadtest and comparison thread:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=58592.0

Cal 14 "Cruiser of the Year"
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=61958.0

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
A local buddy has owned many bikes over the years, plenty of Harley's; currently rides a Stelvio, Griso and 1400 California (as well as a dirt bike). Told me this morning, if he had to get down to one bike it would the 1400. He really enjoys it.

Not first hand experience, but Andy is not on the forums.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:58:25 AM »
A local buddy has owned many bikes over the years, plenty of Harley's; currently rides a Stelvio, Griso and 1400 California (as well as a dirt bike). Told me this morning, if he had to get down to one bike it would the 1400. He really enjoys it.

Not first hand experience, but Andy is not on the forums.

He has 3 modern Guzzi's and he isn't on the forum. How can he possibly know what oil to use ::)
Jerry
Florida

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:58:25 AM »

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:57:54 AM »
or a forum dedicated: http://guzzicalifornia.forumcircle.com/viewforum.php?f=2

as someone who has had both the Cali 1400 and a road king, I can tell you, you will love the power of the 1400, and you will miss the dealer network of the harley.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
You might contact a Guzzi dealer and ride one.  It's a quite a bit sportier than a Harley bagger.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »
You might contact a Guzzi dealer and ride one.  It's a quite a bit sportier than a Harley bagger.

So, with say 15 dealers across the U.S.  ;) and maybe 1 or 2 have 1400's in stock, that shouldn't be too difficult  ::)

The place to do it was Bike Week last week. However, I remember the MG Product Manager for Accessories saying that they were going to have their bikes at another upcoming rally or show. But I don't remember where?
Jerry
Florida

Offline bouts

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
I have the 2014 Touring, 3 words "Love it, Love it, Love it"  Maybe that's more than 3, but I love it!!  First bike that I really can't wait to get back on after the winter, was anxious before, but with this one, just can't wait.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:17 AM »
So, with say 15 dealers across the U.S.  ;) and maybe 1 or 2 have 1400's in stock, that shouldn't be too difficult  ::)

Well, FWIW, I didn't have a problem catching a demo ride on one within weeks of it hitting the dealer's showroom. And FBF isn't exactly known as the most accommodating dealer.

But yes, in some locations you may have to travel further than others to get a ride.

Of course, if you're talking about spending $15-18k on a new bike, I would think it would be worth the time/effort, no?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »

The place to do it was Bike Week last week. However, I remember the MG Product Manager for Accessories saying that they were going to have their bikes at another upcoming rally or show. But I don't remember where?

Daytona is a long way from Sedalia, Missouri.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
Try before you buy- but I've never heard anything other than positive first impressions. Handling will appear significantly lighter than what you are used to. Acceleration is smooth and effortless. Fit and finish is impressive. These machines look tremendous in the flesh.  You will likely want to change the seat to suit you after some road time.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
I really enjoy my 2014 custom, traded a t100 bonneville as we needed something larger for two up touring. I was shocked at the performance when my wife and I took a demo ride. The motor is super smooth and the brakes and handling are superb. Only dislikes were easy to address, the stock seat sucked,and their gel seat upgrade sucked as well. Also not to crazy about the plastic bits, something you wont find on the harley's. But once you ride one , it's hard not to seriously consider owning it. Like all guzzi,s you have to accept the depreciation hit, but it is so competitively priced compared to harley, I think it's a wash. It's a lot of bike for the money, especially  when you consider abs and traction control as standard. You will definatly find a lot more info if you search this forum, best of luck on your quest.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:32 AM »
Handling will appear significantly lighter than what you are used to.

Once again I've got to be the only guy here who thinks there isn't that big a difference in handling between the Cali 1400 and the late-model FLH series.

Not even like the difference between my V7 and Sportster... or Duc and Sportster...

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 12:01:47 PM »
You're not the only one.

Guzzi aimed the Cal 14 squarely at the Road King and hit the mark.  Also would include the new Indian Chief.

The Guzzi's engine has more top end than the other two, and the Cal 14 may have a little more ground clearance, but three good riders on Cal 14, Road King, and Chief wouldn't be holding each other up.

You might be able to push the Cal 14 a little further out of the intended "touring cruiser" envelope than the other two, but 99% of the customers buying these behemoths will not, so it's almost a moot point.

I really liked the Cal 14 that I rode, but line up similarly equipped California 1400s, Road Kings, Chiefs, and it would be a tough choice for me.  They each have advantages and disadvantages, and it would be a tough choice.

And I'm a Guzzi Die Hard !!!

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
You're not the only one.

Guzzi aimed the Cal 14 squarely at the Road King and hit the mark.  Also would include the new Indian Chief.

The Guzzi's engine has more top end than the other two, and the Cal 14 may have a little more ground clearance, but three good riders on Cal 14, Road King, and Chief wouldn't be holding each other up.

You might be able to push the Cal 14 a little further out of the intended "touring cruiser" envelope than the other two, but 99% of the customers buying these behemoths will not, so it's almost a moot point.

I really liked the Cal 14 that I rode, but line up similarly equipped California 1400s, Road Kings, Chiefs, and it would be a tough choice for me.  They each have advantages and disadvantages, and it would be a tough choice.

And I'm a Guzzi Die Hard !!!

Heartily agreed...  ;-T
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »

Unless you compare the stength of the Dealer networks!
Jerry
Florida

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »
The Indian Chief typically comes out on top by a whisker when compared to the 1400 - because of better lean angles and better handling. Still, it's a matter of personal preference. I"ve ridden the Chief and she is a very nice bike, just wasn't able to push some limits. Have not ridden the 1400 yet. I think I could go with either machine.

Andy put a Corbin on his and is very happy with it. He also went the Agostini's (sp?) exhaust, adds a bit of a bark to the machine - I thought stock was just fine; but then I run the stock can on the Griso so who am I to say?  ;D
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »

Well, that's just one of the advantages (for Harley) and disadvantages (for Indian and Guzzi).

But there's more to the equation no?

I have to confess though, after seriously pursuing all 4 (I'll throw the Victory models in there too) for a year or so, I'm probably leaning towards the Harley.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 12:21:57 PM »

Jerry,

You're really hatin' on Guzzis in your last few posts.  

One of the great things about Guzzis FOR ME over the past 18 years has been the fact that I didn't NEED a nearby dealer to support my Guzzis.

I've owned six of them in that time and have logged over 100,000 miles on Guzzis since buying my Sport 1100 in March 1997.

For owners like me, and those much more capable than me, the proximity of a dealership may take a lower priority than other items on "the list".

The dealership thing sounds like a real sticking point for you.  Complaining about it here will not really change anything.  If nearby dealership support is at the top your your "list", then Guzzi is likely not the brand for you.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
here is one with 4500 miles and $5500 in bling: http://guzzicalifornia.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=231
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
Welcome C908.  Lots of folks here have ridden many different brands so no worries.  I had a stock Dyna Superglide for a while but there were are just so many of them that I felt virtually invisible.  If you buy the 1400 you don't have to worry much about losing your bike in the parking lot!

And when you to check one out take a good look at it from the rear  :BEER:

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »
Jerry,

You're really hatin' on Guzzis in your last few posts.  

One of the great things about Guzzis FOR ME over the past 18 years has been the fact that I didn't NEED a nearby dealer to support my Guzzis.

I've owned six of them in that time and have logged over 100,000 miles on Guzzis since buying my Sport 1100 in March 1997.

For owners like me, and those much more capable than me, the proximity of a dealership may take a lower priority than other items on "the list".

The dealership thing sounds like a real sticking point for you.  Complaining about it here will not really change anything.  If nearby dealership support is at the top your your "list", then Guzzi is likely not the brand for you.

I'm not hatin' Guzzi's or complaining. I've had 5 Guzzi's, so I'm not new to this. I was merely responding to a comparison between the 1400, Indian, and Road King and the advantages/disadvantages of each. I'm happy for you that not having a nearby dealer isn't an issue. But for some of us spending $16K for a new bike and then  have to travel a state or two away for warranty service, it might be a strong consideration when comparing the 3 bikes.
Jerry
Florida

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
I do have to wonder if it is going to get harder and harder to get by without a dealer as these things become more dependent on electronics.

I guess Guzzidiag handles a LOT of the potential issues, but it's not having a lot of luck with the 1TB V7s (many aren't connecting and there's no way to read/write maps yet). If something does go wrong with the TB unit I pretty much need to haul it 75+ miles to a dealer in another state.

The Cali 1400 has even more electronic components...

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
Me, too.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
I do have to wonder if it is going to get harder and harder to get by without a dealer as these things become more dependent on electronics.

I guess Guzzidiag handles a LOT of the potential issues, but it's not having a lot of luck with the 1TB V7s (many aren't connecting and there's no way to read/write maps yet). If something does go wrong with the TB unit I pretty much need to haul it 75+ miles to a dealer in another state.

the main reason I sold mine...
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »

Drive By Wire for instance
Jerry
Florida

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »
The Indian Chief typically comes out on top by a whisker when compared to the 1400 - because of better lean angles and better handling. Still, it's a matter of personal preference. I"ve ridden the Chief and she is a very nice bike, just wasn't able to push some limits. Have not ridden the 1400 yet. I think I could go with either machine.

Andy put a Corbin on his and is very happy with it. He also went the Agostini's (sp?) exhaust, adds a bit of a bark to the machine - I thought stock was just fine; but then I run the stock can on the Griso so who am I to say?  ;D

Disagree.  I think the Cali is handler of the bunch.  In fact, I'll take the Harley over the Indian.  If you can't push the bike at the limit, then that's the limit, not the spec.  And I agree, you can't push the Chief at the limit with the (too) wide bar and heavy weight like you can the Cali (or even the RK).

The Cal 14 is simply the more sporting ride considering the power curve, handling and braking.  All 3 suffer from feet forward syndrome.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:10:48 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
Drive By Wire for instance

Like what stranded Charlie (Avvacatto) that first week he had his.

Granted, if we'd thought to go home and get my laptop and the OBD-II cables we might have known it was the demand sensor.

But it was a brand new (like 2 day old) bike with a warranty so that seemed silly for us to pursue ourselves.

Still, we COULD have...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
Disagree.  I think the Cali is handler of the bunch.  In fact, I'll take the Harley over the Indian.  If you can't push the bike at the limit, then that's the limit, not the spec.  And I agree, you can't push the Chief at the limit with the (too) wide bar and heavy weight like you can the Cali (or even the RK).

The Cal 14 is simply the more sporting ride considering the power curve, handling and braking.  All 3 suffer from feet forward syndrome.  

But that point of comparing lean angles and push-ability, we're measuring with yard sticks when we could be using micrometers. These bikes just aren't all that different from each other (I'm saying that generally in a good way as they all pretty much hit the intended target).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Vasco DG

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »

That may be changing very soon I hope.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here