Author Topic: Need guidance on used purchase Winner is! Now with PICS.  (Read 28780 times)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Need guidance on used purchase Winner is! Now with PICS.
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
http://www.junctionauto.net/autos_asearch.php?te_class=autos&te_mode=table&te_asearch=true&te_qsearch=true&auto_type=&yearMade=&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=&stockNumber=&vin=&search=Search

Looking at this Mercedes to replace Lorraine's Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS.  Due to deteriorating health she is having greater and greater difficulty ingressing and egressing her car. I don't even attempt to.  Her requirements for her new chariot are:

1) AWD or 4X4
2) Three rows of seating, second row can be captains seats
3) Dark interior ( I know this has a lighter interior)
4) Navigation (she is Corrigan blessed)

My main attraction is that it is a CDI Diesel. Diesels can run much longer than the bodies.  Locally it is easier to purchase diesel than premium, which her Eclipse requires.  I know we have a broad spectrum of people on here, MB to Yugo drivers.  So those with MB experiance, please pipe up and tell me the neat and hairy of owning this vehicle. 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:35:52 PM by Stormtruck2 »
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
Re: Need guidance on used Mercedes purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:37:11 PM »
Ive found out through personal experience and the experience of friends and family that if you want a Benz, Beemer, Jag or any other high end car buy it new or lease it and drop it like a bad habit when the warranty is almost up. As a recent example a good friend just retired and treated himself to a 3 yr old BMW X5 Diesel lease return with 30k miles on it. It was sold as certified by a local Bmw dealer. He has had it in the shop more times in the 6 months of owning it than his the previous 17 years of his old Toyota 4 runner. Obviously he really feels like he made a terrible decision.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
 Matt , I suggest a Subaru . Sorry to hear our girl isn't doing so well .

Dusty

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »
http://www.junctionauto.net/autos_asearch.php?te_class=autos&te_mode=table&te_asearch=true&te_qsearch=true&auto_type=&yearMade=&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=&stockNumber=&vin=&search=Search

Looking at this Mercedes to replace Lorraine's Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS.  Due to deteriorating health she is having greater and greater difficulty ingressing and egressing her car. I don't even attempt to.  Here requirements for her new chariot are:

1) AWD or 4X4
2) Three rows of seating, second row can be captains seats
3) Dark interior ( I know this has a lighter interior)
4) Navigation (she is Corrigan blessed)

My main attraction is that it is a CDI Diesel. Diesels can run much longer than the bodies.  Locally it is easier to purchase diesel than premium, which her Eclipse requires.  I know we have a broad spectrum of people on here, MB to Yugo drivers.  So those with MB experiance, please pipe up and tell me the neat and hairy of owning this vehicle.

Times have changed. I've owned several MB and currently have an SLK in the stable. Mercedes are no longer more durable than other manufacturers. If you want a CDI go for the last of the cast iron inline sixes. I think the last year was 2006. Avoid the OM642 that came immediately after.

I usually tell people that if they want a Mercedes, buy a Lexus.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »
Matt , I suggest a Subaru . Sorry to hear our girl isn't doing so well .

Dusty

Would consider a Subbie if t had a third row.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »
the obvious choice is a used Suburban.  Must be plenty in Iowa.  There must be a reason that you didn't consider it.  No, you won't get great mileage but 4wd and 3 rows of seats and that goes with the territory. 

I hope the Mrs feels better.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »

:thumb:

Godmother had a CDI on lease.  Has leased three gassers ever since for a reason. My wife did 200,000 miles over 15 yrs on Lexus #1.  #2 has 60,000 over 5 yrs.  20 years and only a wheel bearing on #1 outside of normal maintaince.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
the obvious choice is a used Suburban.  Must be plenty in Iowa.  There must be a reason that you didn't consider it.  No, you won't get great mileage but 4wd and 3 rows of seats and that goes with the territory. 

I hope the Mrs feels better.

Looked a Suburbans, but just too big for Lorraine.  Vehicles looked at are Explorers, Acadia, Enclaves, and will be checking out CX-9s. She wants third row but not something truck sized. Entry height is a problem. With her back too low is difficult, and too high is also.  The MB seems to be a good possibility, if it is not a C-note eater for repairs. 
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »
Aren't those things MB badge Chryslers?  The MB's aren't trouble free.  Getting info on them like a repair manual are a little harder to obtain.  Not sure I'll buy another one.  It's more the dealer service than the vehicle.

Brake pads have been the easiest of any vehicle to replace.  Have had no problems with the drivetrain.  2nd sedan one for the wife.  Don't know how their suv's are.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »
Times have changed. I've owned several MB and currently have an SLK in the stable. Mercedes are no longer more durable than other manufacturers. If you want a CDI go for the last of the cast iron inline sixes. I think the last year was 2006. Avoid the OM642 that came immediately after.

It is the OM642 motor I believe.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »
There's also the three-seat not-as-big-as-a-Suburban option of Traverse/Acadia/Enclave. I rented a Traverse and drove it from Vegas to Palm Springs to Tucson and back to Vegas, a veritable Sonoran Desert Tour, and I loved it (Although I have a moral problem with Government Motors.)

Anyway--check it out.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 10:36:40 PM »
Just wondering, why the need for a third row?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 06:43:57 AM »
Ford Flex, I'm not even a ford fan but helped my buddy get a vehicle for his family. He didn't really care who made it as long as it had everything it needed. Test drove different vehicles with him and he he box styled flex was amazing.
The interior set-up is what impressed the hell out of me, when four big guys can fit very comfortably in that vehicle on a long trip I give it a thumbs up. The GM line is quite nice also, dependable but do change the oil every 5,000 or sooner, otherwise cam chains will stretch, usually under the warranty period and once fixed your good to go.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »
As others have posted, Mercedes is no longer the extremely dependable cars that they used to be.  The complex electrical systems are well known for causing multiple trips (and mucho $$$$$) to repair, only to go wonky again and again.  The transmissions are also known for poor reliability. 
You would be very wise to look at other brands that are more dependable and that won't have the huge repair bills.
NO longer can ride

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 07:48:26 AM »
Minivan?
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »
...Vehicles looked at are Explorers, Acadia, Enclaves, and will be checking out CX-9s. She wants third row but not something truck sized.....

A good friend has a GMC  Acadia, SLT trim I believe.  3rd row seat folds flat, power lift, back up camera.  I have driven it both in town and on the highway and find it to be a nice vehicle. 

I have told several friends that if I ever even mention I'm thinking about buying anything built by General Motors please slap some sense back into me or shoot me.  However, this new crop of General Motors SUVs seem to be a cut above & get pretty reasonable ratings.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
Just wondering, why the need for a third row?

Grandkids, 7 of them. :shocked: :shocked:
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »
There's also the three-seat not-as-big-as-a-Suburban option of Traverse/Acadia/Enclave. I rented a Traverse and drove it from Vegas to Palm Springs to Tucson and back to Vegas, a veritable Sonoran Desert Tour, and I loved it (Although I have a moral problem with Government Motors.)

Anyway--check it out.

We looked at a used 2013 Traverse LTZ, but it was bought before we got back to drive it.  Drove an Enclave, but not an Acadia.  Liked the interior of the Acadia better than the Enclave.  Am looking at all options.  My choice was a new motorcycle but she put the kibosh on that straight away.  :evil:
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »
Minivan?

Grandkids, 7 of them. :shocked: :shocked:

Minivans are the safest vehicles on the road . Yeah , I know , they don't fit in your macho lifestyle Matt  :grin: But you did mention grandkids .

Dusty

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
The MB seems to be a good possibility, if it is not a C-note eater for repairs.

Well if something goes wrong it will be.  There's no way around it really.  They're great cars, and I trust them as a whole more than many other luxury brands, but when repairs are needed if you're out of warranty you'll be out of cash.  I had a GL450 for a bit and loved it, but the few minor repairs I had to make were ridiculously priced. 

There are plenty of mid size SUVs with third row options.  Take some time to try a few out.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »
Looked a Suburbans, but just too big for Lorraine.  Vehicles looked at are Explorers, Acadia, Enclaves, and will be checking out CX-9s. She wants third row but not something truck sized. Entry height is a problem. With her back too low is difficult, and too high is also.  The MB seems to be a good possibility, if it is not a C-note eater for repairs.

A Tahoe or Yukon is shorter and much more maneuverable. I love my Suburban.  Getting ready to pass 270,000 miles.

My mom went from a Suburban to a Yukon and really appreciates the shorter length for driving in town.  Still has the 3rd row seating, but just not as much storage behind the 3rd row as a Suburban.  3rd row is easily removable, and then plenty of storage.

My dad has had several Mercedes Benz cars over the past 30-years.  Great cars, but as mentioned, the newer ones are pretty expensive to maintain.  His current S-Class sedan is a 3rd car and spends most of its time in the garage, being used mainly to haul family to dinner, or the wife to social events.  It's just too expensive to maintain as a daily driver.  Beautiful, comfortable, fast car!  But I'd rather have a Lincoln Town Car if I had to pay for trips to the shop!!!

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
I have no Mercedes info to relate. However the Minivan comment does check the boxes!  My wife loves her Grand Caravan. They are changing them or losing a model next year and Dodge is selling them at a good discount.

I like the minivan also. Amazing what we can put in there and leave my truck behind!!

guzzimike

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
Man there is some HEAVY BULLSHIT being spread here...

Mercedes Are great cars. We bought a 1999 SL500 in 2003 with  40K miles. We now have close to 170K Miles and it is one sound automobile.

Lexus and Subarus My ASS. If you want a Mercedes, Get A Mercedes.

There is a reason why you are here on a Moto Guzzi list, and not on a Suzuki or Yamaguchi  site. And that reason is you prefer Moto Guzzi, as do I,

And I also prefer Mercedes above all others, save perhaps 911S Porsche.

Merecdes I have owned include A '67 230s, '78 240D, 94 300E and '99 SL500. All of them great cars. Solid, like a Tank. And on all of them, the only time I had to pay an above average part price was the battery for the Diesel. 

I have also owned Toyota ( Aka: Lexus) and Datsun ( Aka: Nissan ) and have worked with Subaru ( GM ) trucks. The only positive I can say about them all is that they had good engines and OK transmissions.

Oh, yeah...the Subarus had stainless exhaust systems. That was good.

The rest, such as interiors, hydraulics and electrics was - Meh...sheet-metal SUCKED. The Bumpers were as thin as Rice Paper.

Parts in general, such as starters, headlights/ taillights were more expensive than their Mercedes or Porsche equivalents; and they were POS in comparison to the quality of similar stuff from Germany.

Look, has Mercedes had some issues..?  I guess so, from what I hear from naysayers - but I never had any in 40 years of owning MBZs..

OTOH, I have had serious crap dealt to me from Toyota and Datsun. One time, a wheel just fell apart on me while on the freeway. It was on a Toyota Corolla and the wheel broke all along the bolt holes. Fortunately it was a rear wheel, so I was able to coax the car to the roadside as soon as I felt it wobbling back there. Had it been a front wheel, I'd been rightfully fukked.

But think about that. What kind of recycled rinky-dink steel is THAT..?  And don't get me started on electrics.

I will never own Japanese cars again. I know that here are some real fanboys for those on here, and to them I say: "whatever floats your boat"

But when it comes to Mercedes, you don't know Doodly-Squat. Not unless you have had 4 continuous Decades with MBZs under your ass.

One bad personal experience, or worse, what negative your hear from someone else, is minimal anecdotal evidence, at the very best.

At this point I my life, I only go with what I know works. And for me with cars, it is Mercedes Benz road cars and Jeep XJs 4X4 made from 1991 - 2000 with the 4.0L HO engine.

With motorcycles, it is Tonti framed,  Round Fin Le Mans Moto Guzzis.

With pistols, it is Browning Hi Power and Sig P226 / 229, in 9mm

Revolvers: Dan Wesson .44 mag, Colt python and S&W 586.

Rifles: AKMs 7.62X39 and FN FAL in 7.62 X 51 ( .308)

To be somewhat fair, I will say that there are some Japanese cars I would maybe consider at this time. The 1984 Toyota land-cruiser, 1967 Datsun 1600 Roadster and 1990 Honda ( Acura) NSX.

And That's It.

But I would take an equivalent vintage and style  Mereceds Benz model over any of those three every day of the week and thrice on Sunday.

-

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
Man there is some HEAVY BULLSHIT being spread here...

-
It's their opinions and some of those opinions are based on real experience...My friend bough a late model MB SUV, it was without a doubt the most trouble prone vehicle he ever owned.repair bill were outrageous So bad he dumped it for a huge loss...

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »

Mercedes Are great cars. We bought a 1999 SL500 in 2003 with  40K miles. We now have close to 170K Miles and it is one sound automobile.

Look, has Mercedes had some issues..?  I guess so, from what I hear from naysayers - but I never had any in 40 years of owning MBZs..

BUT, have you owned any newer than that '99? Your '99 SL with gas v8 is completely different than an '07 GL320 with v6 CDI. I'm a big fan of (older) Mercedes-Benz products, but wouldn't touch anything of theirs (past '06) with a 10 foot pole unless I was wealthy and could afford to waste $$.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:10:51 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »
As others have posted, Mercedes is no longer the extremely dependable cars that they used to be.  The complex electrical systems are well known for causing multiple trips (and mucho $$$$$) to repair, only to go wonky again and again.  The transmissions are also known for poor reliability. 
You would be very wise to look at other brands that are more dependable and that won't have the huge repair bills.

Just piling on about German cars.  My neighbor has a couple of Beemers.  He likes working on them like some here like to play with their Guzzis; he has one car that he uses for track days.  Anyway, his daily driver was overheating.  He showed me the ELECTRIC water pump he pulled.  He wouldn't tell me what the replacement costs.  An Electronically controlled electric water pump with an attached aluminum thermostat housing?  Why?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:39:23 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »
I'm a big fan of German cars and have a '12 and '15 Audi in my driveway. I find German cars to be better built, more fun to drive, and the interiors vastly superior to most domestic offerings. That said, they generally require a lot more maintenance than an American or Asian car, and that service can be pretty pricey. Unless you're doing all of your own maintenance and repairs, you'll either have to find a German car specialist shop or go to a dealer. Modern cars have become almost impossible for the average home mechanic to work on, requiring specialized tools and diagnostic computers to complete even basic service. Most of them don't even have dipsticks to check the oil, instead relying upon an electronic sensor. Luckily those never fail. An independent shop would be more economical, but the manufacturers, especially the Germans, hold back a lot of knowledge for the exclusive use of their franchised dealers. You can expect to pay close to $200 per hour for MB Dealer shop time, maybe $150 or so in Iowa.

I'd probably steer clear of that MB personally. A quick glance at the Carfax shows 3 or 4 previous owners and a trip to the auction. The maintenance history is a bit spotty, but you can see a bunch of repairs early in its life that if you had to pay for would probably be pretty pricey. Here's one of the larger entries:

10/31/2009     38,509     Mercedes-Benz of Orlando
Maitland, FL
407-645-4222
mborlando.com   Maintenance inspection completed
Seat(s) checked
Battery replaced
Cruise control servo replaced
DVD player replaced
Steering column covers replaced
Battery/charging system checked
Door latch adjusted
Electrical system checked
Front turn signal/parking bulb(s) replaced
Console repaired
Air suspension compressor replaced/repaired
Sensing and diagnostic module replaced
Seat memory computer/module reprogrammed
Steering/suspension checked

There seems to be a history of suspension and electrical issues with this car. On the other hand, perhaps the previous owners worked out all the bugs and it will be trouble-free through 200K miles. MB are generally regarded as the most reliable of the German brands. There are several more repair entries saying things like 'module replaced' or 'suspension checked'. You can't believe everything you read in a CarFax report, but there's enough there to give me pause. The detailed repair history drops off in 2013 at about 80K miles. Unless they can provide receipts you'll probably have to assume nothing has been done since and it's probably due for some major services. Modern luxury cars are just so incredibly complex and loaded with (expensive) electronic gadgets and safety features that I"m not sure how they'll hold up long-term.

Kentktk

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »
Just say no!  :violent1:

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
There are at least 3 good benz foums.  I would start with benzworld and find the sub forum related to that model and educate yourself.  May be existing threads on this model or you may have to start one.

My 1999 E300D sedan, broke the right rear window regulator yesterday.  The forum has been working on this since 2007, with mods and fixes.  Turns out a part change from metal to plastic and the plastic slider break often.  $11 to obtain stronger part and then pictures in the thread also videos to show how to fix.

If you like DIY, then the forums have some very experienced owners, sorta like this forum for MGs!
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »
My Boss has been driving Mercedes and BMW's for a long time. Since I've known him (close to 20 years), I don't know anyone that has spent so much money keeping cars on the road. While I would say the frequency of repairs is not all that bad, the cost and complexity of the repair, is obscene. It seems doing anything on these cars is in the thousand dollar an up range.

The last one being his wifes SL600 there was some crazy problem that caused an oil leak. Something about the intake manifold using epoxy instead of a gasket. Dealer cost to repair was over $10k. He got it done at a private shop for $7k. The owner, a former certified mercedes mechanic said he could expect to have to do it again in another 40k miles as it is an inherent design flaw.

I was with him at the BMW dealer when the service manager (after an extensive warranty repair) told him to get rid of the car before the extended warranty ran out, saying "few people can afford to own these cars out of warranty".

After he got rid of his last Beemer, he is now driving a Tesla and loves it. I doubt he'll ever buy another German luxury car. I think there is a reason they give you 3 years warranty and maintenance included.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here