Author Topic: Need guidance on used purchase Winner is! Now with PICS.  (Read 28622 times)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Re: Need guidance on used Mercedes purchase Mercedes Dropped XC 90/CX-9 added
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »
I agree a mini van is the right tool for this job.  But momma don't want no stinkin minivan, and if momma ain't happy, daddy be lonely. :wink:  We are now looking at theses two vehicles.

http://www.jungevolvo.com/used/Volvo/2014-Volvo-XC90-696a17c80a0a00de11a3407a77a1af61.htm
2014 Volvo XC-90

http://www.jungemazda.com/used-inventory/index.htm
Mazda CX-9

We are also considering the Dodge Durango Citadel, and other 7 passenger vehicles.  My choice was:

http://www.gozimmerman.com/certified/Ford/2013-Ford-Shelby+GT500-fbee6bda0a0e0ae70665653514de51f0.htm

Lorraine said no.  No room for grand babies.  She didn't believe me that the grand babies would rather ride in this than any of the other vehicles we looked at.  :evil:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
Mazda, hands down (does it have AWD and 3 rows of seats?)

Back to the Mercedes rant (thanks for that Matt).  I can remember when status was someone that bought a new Mercedes and kept it 10+ years, kept it maintained with those 100k miles badges on it.  It showed class, luxury, expense but value.  For some reason a well used Mercedes was just a little classier than a new one just because it demonstrated durability.  It also stamped some class & individuality on it's owner.

I remember when BTL was "built to last"-  not "built to lease". 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »
..... She didn't believe me that the grand babies would rather ride in this than any of the other vehicles we looked at.  :evil:

ROFL
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »

http://www.jungevolvo.com/used/Volvo/2014-Volvo-XC90-696a17c80a0a00de11a3407a77a1af61.htm
2014 Volvo XC-90

We put 85k on a 2002 V70XC (sold it when we moved to Tokyo) and currently have 65k on a 2010 XC70.  First one was flawless - not one trip to the dealer in five years, only fluids and filters in my garage (and tires and brakes).  Current one eats batteries, fourth one in five years just last week - Volvo moved the battery back under the hood for this generation and the heat (Houston) kills them.  Also had the a/c compressor go out, 100 miles outside of the warranty.  Dealer good-willed it for $100. Nothing else except fluid and filters in my garage.  We'd buy another Volvo.

The one you linked has the 3.2 non-turbo.  Although rated at 240hp, the non-turbo is a dog - remember that it's pushing around 5000lbs of truck.  We test drove the 3.2 and the 3.0 turbo and the T6 is much more responsive with 281hp.  Definitely test drive it (hard) to see if will move like you want it to.  Fit and finish is great, seats are still great, sound system is just OK (and we upgraded).  Rear seats should have built in booster seats (incredibly convenient).  View from the driver's seat will be good, usual Volvo safety.

HTH,
Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2015, 03:20:01 PM »
I have a volvo v70, seats are great. I have it now for 8 years, and it has 230K miles. Drives like 8 years ago. It's 13 years old and still has original battery, only thing outside normal maintenance was a broken fuel pump. not to bad with all miles. And maintenance was just oil/filters and a belt each 100k. It wasn't cheap but in the end is a low mile price. Running with diesel D5 engine.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

guzzimike

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »
I think that some of the MBZ naysayers on here are clueless douchebaggery peddlers

Again, what You may think regarding the MBZ marque means jack-shit,

UNLESS you have spent at least 3 years behind the wheel of a MBZ sedan as a Daily Driver.

Other than that, you are as qualified to speak on the MBZ marque as you are to opine on which tampon fits you best, which considering some of the butt-hurt, diarreah verbosity with this crowd, may be appropriate for some of you after all.

Now that this qualifier is out of the way, and hopefully the static chaff of the Clue-Impaired is mitigated;  I will present my own bonafides regarding MBZs, by posting Facts on my current daily driver with a recent pic, and general maintenance  info on same.

This is my 1999 SL500.

We got it in 2003, and since then have logged on close to 200K Miles. In that time I replaced one CPS ( $ 28), Two Front Shock Tower Mounting dampers ( $45 ea. ), Two Oxygen sensors ( $120 for both), OEM Radiator -installed ( $500 ),  Front Brakes - New OEM Disks and calipers - installed $650 ). Not bad for a car which gives its driver arguably  the best ratio of smiles per Miles.

Speaking of smiles; just for fun, I up-graded the stock Wheels and tire size ( 17" dia / 8.75 width ) to AMG specs. I went with a Staggered set of 18" dia, Deep Dish Wheels and tires < 245 -18/Front, 275 - 18 Rear >. (total cost - $1400 ).

I also design-built the Single Fin / Mercedes star emblem grill.

I made the part because I did not care at all for the OEM 7-piece multi-slats system and felt that the Single Fin is the better representative of the entire two-door SL / Roadster blood line, which dates back to  the 1956 SL "Gull Wing".   

FWIW, after the R129 line ended in 2002, MBZ went Back to Single Fin grills on their SLs...

Personally, I still prefer the design lines of the R129 line over the newer SLs. Which explains why I don't have a newer SL.

BTW, I'll close this note by stating that I'm not into MBZ as " Status" cars. I never have given a flying Shiite about "status" cars, or with brand names posing... When I ride my CX100, I wear a SPAR-X  helmet, Not ARAI, Shoei, IKOn, G-Max or whatever- And  So much for that.

And as for automobiles; what tickles my nut sack are those special cars which like to go fast, stop with authority and handle predictably when pushed hard and fast.

This is me, at 22, some 35+ years ago - with my Euro-Spec 1966 911S, which I bought by and for myself -   I recall eating a lot of Top Ramen that year, saving up the money.  Obviously NOT a Poser.

I got this Porsche because of its driving characteristics, and how, at the time, I felt that  it was the closest one could get to two wheels performance in a 4-wheel car. And if I have to explain this notion any further, maybe the poser is YOU.

Have a good Mercedes Benz Day..

-

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2015, 06:58:59 PM »
Mike,

How much time have you spent in Benzes NEWER THAN 1999 ??

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »
Ford Flex; tons of room and one of the best rides I've been in. MB, meh. Wouldn't get a new one. TrueDelta.com is full of data points from actual owners. More data than some tales off a motorcycle forum.

Mazda CX-9 can carry more than a Flex IF YOU DON'T have people in the second row, the Flex can't push it's seats forward to make room and in the Mazda you can.

Subaru made a three row SUV (mileage was not good and it did not sell well) for about five years. No longer available but if you are keen on a Subby that model is available.

Chrysler products (I've owned two and my experience matches the rumors out there) are weak in the electrical gizmos. I won't buy another. Same with VW. Electrical bits that should last don't (e.g. starters, windows etc.).

I traded in a Ford Edge to get a F150 (for towing purposes) and while it does not meet your third row requirement it was very roomy and the best car I've ever owned. Ford Explorer is pretty much a larger Edge, but if you ever need to rent a U-Haul it could be very problematic. Oddly enough, I prefer the F-150 to the Explorer; but if the Flex could tow more that would have been the car I would have got.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
I don't know if this helps with the OP's original question, but I've not had good experience with late model Volvo or Audi.

I own a 2008 E300.  It's been a fairly reliable car, with no large repairs.  Service is expensive but luckily infrequent enough so as not to make me broke.

Previous to the MB, I owned a 2005 Volvo XC90.  POS, is all I can say.  Never ending trouble with that vehicle, poor dealership, total lack of manufacturer support.  Never again.  The last straw was a whining noise coming from the left rear end, proportional to the speed of the vehicle, with 100,000 km (60,000 miles) on the clock.  Dealer diagnosed it to be bad transfer case and it cost me $3000 to replace.  Didn't fix the noise and I was pissed!  Took the vehicle to a mechanic who diagnosed the problem in 5 minutes to a blown wheel bearing.  $200 fix and I dumped the vehicle in trade for the MB.

My MIL owns a 2013 Audi Q5 SUV.  Takes excellent care of the vehicle.  Just before the manufacturer's 1 year warrantee was to run out, she bought an extended warrantee.  One month ago, I was driving the side streets when suddenly a bang came from the back end, followed by very expensive noises.  Luckily it was near home, so I parked the vehicle and called the dealership.  The rear differential gears had blown up, with only 50,000 km (30,000 miles) on the car.  The extended warrantee  paid the $5000 bill for the replacement.  I cannot believe a vehicle of this prestige can perform this poorly.  I'll never buy an Audi.
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »
All comments help me with this decision.  I realize that every make has its rolling turds occasionally, I'm looking to get a bead on overall quality and durability on the models.  Tell me your good, bad, and fugly experiences with these vehicles.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:34:32 PM by Stormtruck2 »
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »
I got a new minivan last week.

For third row seating I put a couple sofas in the back.

And like my old Guzzi it uses Brembo disk brakes on all wheels! Seriously, with the traction control, this thing will stand on its nose!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

oldbike54

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:11 PM »
I got a new minivan last week.

For third row seating I put a couple sofas in the back.

And like my old Guzzi it uses Brembo disk brakes on all wheels! Seriously, with the traction control, this thing will stand on its nose!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So 'Truck , is that manly enough for our sweet girl ? :grin:

Dusty

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2015, 07:17:48 AM »
You guys keep suggesting mini vans, you trying to get me hurt???  :wink: :laugh:
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
You guys keep suggesting mini vans, you trying to get me hurt???  :wink: :laugh:

Most practical machine going.  20 years driving them....I don't even have kids!  I don't have back aches anymore, I haul around much more.....I have the windows tinted so people don't know it's me!        :wink:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:54:29 AM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2015, 07:54:23 AM »
My mom replaced her wrecked 2008 Suburban with a 2010 GMC Yukon.  The short wheelbase version.  She loves it, and it's much easier to drive and park in town.

The 5.3 V8 is smooth and powerful.  The transmission is nice.  It's a solid, well-built wagon.  Split, folding, removable 3rd row is nice.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »

Nope , trying to keep the grandkids from GETTING hurt .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »

I'm always pleasantly amused with all the automobile safety concerns from motorcyclists on motorcycle forums.

Ironic !!!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »
I'm always pleasantly amused with all the automobile safety concerns from motorcyclists on motorcycle forums.

Ironic !!!

Different parameters , we are talking grand babies here . While I don't want any of my MC buddies to crash and be harmed , well , we are adults making informed decisions re risk . The grand babies don't get that choice .

Dusty

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
From my experience, kids absorb and recovery better and easier from the same magnitude of impact than adults.  :cool:  I watch my grandkiddies at rough and tumble play and I ache and hurt just from watching!!! :tongue:
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

oldbike54

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2015, 11:38:55 AM »
From my experience, kids absorb and recovery better and easier from the same magnitude of impact than adults.  :cool:  I watch my grandkiddies at rough and tumble play and I ache and hurt just from watching!!! :tongue:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All true , but they don't fare so well in a car crash . Besides , we need a new generation of campers , and I REALLY want to meet these grand babies some day , figure growing up around you they will be , well ... interesting  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All true , but they don't fare so well in a car crash . Besides , we need a new generation of campers , and I REALLY want to meet these grand babies some day , figure growing up around you they will be , well ... interesting  :grin:

Dusty

Meek, mild. Melvin Milquetoast they will be I'm sure.  :evil: :rolleyes:
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
I think that some of the MBZ naysayers on here are clueless douchebaggery peddlers

Again, what You may think regarding the MBZ marque means jack-shit,

UNLESS you have spent at least 3 years behind the wheel of a MBZ sedan as a Daily Driver.

Other than that, you are as qualified to speak on the MBZ marque as you are to opine on which tampon fits you best, which considering some of the butt-hurt, diarreah verbosity with this crowd, may be appropriate for some of you after all.

Now that this qualifier is out of the way, and hopefully the static chaff of the Clue-Impaired is mitigated;  I will present my own bonafides regarding MBZs, by posting Facts on my current daily driver with a recent pic, and general maintenance  info on same.

This is my 1999 SL500.

We got it in 2003, and since then have logged on close to 200K Miles. In that time I replaced one CPS ( $ 28), Two Front Shock Tower Mounting dampers ( $45 ea. ), Two Oxygen sensors ( $120 for both), OEM Radiator -installed ( $500 ),  Front Brakes - New OEM Disks and calipers - installed $650 ). Not bad for a car which gives its driver arguably  the best ratio of smiles per Miles.

Speaking of smiles; just for fun, I up-graded the stock Wheels and tire size ( 17" dia / 8.75 width ) to AMG specs. I went with a Staggered set of 18" dia, Deep Dish Wheels and tires < 245 -18/Front, 275 - 18 Rear >. (total cost - $1400 ).

I also design-built the Single Fin / Mercedes star emblem grill.

I made the part because I did not care at all for the OEM 7-piece multi-slats system and felt that the Single Fin is the better representative of the entire two-door SL / Roadster blood line, which dates back to  the 1956 SL "Gull Wing".   

FWIW, after the R129 line ended in 2002, MBZ went Back to Single Fin grills on their SLs...

Personally, I still prefer the design lines of the R129 line over the newer SLs. Which explains why I don't have a newer SL.

BTW, I'll close this note by stating that I'm not into MBZ as " Status" cars. I never have given a flying Shiite about "status" cars, or with brand names posing... When I ride my CX100, I wear a SPAR-X  helmet, Not ARAI, Shoei, IKOn, G-Max or whatever- And  So much for that.

And as for automobiles; what tickles my nut sack are those special cars which like to go fast, stop with authority and handle predictably when pushed hard and fast.

This is me, at 22, some 35+ years ago - with my Euro-Spec 1966 911S, which I bought by and for myself -   I recall eating a lot of Top Ramen that year, saving up the money.  Obviously NOT a Poser.

I got this Porsche because of its driving characteristics, and how, at the time, I felt that  it was the closest one could get to two wheels performance in a 4-wheel car. And if I have to explain this notion any further, maybe the poser is YOU.

Have a good Mercedes Benz Day..

-

Douchebaggery!?!

Empty barrels are loudest...

Your SL Debuted in 89. You haven't experienced the deliberate cheapening of the Marque.

OP:

It looks like the xc90 has some pretty nice refinements and build quality

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:58:16 PM by BRIO »

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 04:21:13 PM by Randown »
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/about

About J.D. Power Ratings

Power Circle Ratings from J.D. Power are one of the only sources of consumer ratings based on independent and unbiased feedback from a representative sample of verified product and service owners.

To calculate Power Circle Ratings, J.D. Power begins with the syndicated study index scores or a specific standard of measurement, which can be found in the associated press release. An example of an index score is found in the J.D. Power U.S. Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study, where vehicles are ranked according to overall index scores based upon weighted responses to several study factors. An example of a specific standard of measurement is found in the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, where vehicles are ranked according to reported Problems Per 100 vehicles (PP100).

Using these measurements, Power Circle Ratings are calculated based on the range between the company or model with the highest score and the company or model with the lowest score. J.D. Power generates a Power Circle Rating of five, four, three, or two, as outlined below:

Among the best

5 Power Circles

The highest-ranking company or brand in each segment receives five Power Circles*. In highly competitive segments with many companies or brands, multiple companies or models scoring in the top 10 percent of the range from the highest score can also receive five Power Circles, indicating that consumers rate them "among the best" of all companies or models in the survey. However, only the highest-ranking company in each segment receives a J.D. Power award.

Better than most

4 Power Circles

Companies or models scoring 10 percent of the range above the industry or the segment but below the scores for 5 Power Circles receive a rating of 4 Power Circles*, indicating that consumers rate them "better than most" among companies or models in the survey.

About average

3 Power Circles

Companies or models scoring between 10 percent of the range above the industry or the segment and 20 percent below the industry or the segment receive a rating of 3 Power Circles*, indicating that consumers rate them "about average" among all companies or models in the survey.

The rest

2 Power Circles

Companies or models scoring 20 percent of the range below the industry or the segment receive a rating of 2 Power Circles*, indicating that consumers rate them lower than other companies or models in the survey. J.D. Power does not publish a rating lower than two Power Circles.
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »

:popcorn:

I was referring to  the redesigned 2016 xc90

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
I was referring to  the redesigned 2016 xc90

Kewl, I was referring to ...

...We are now looking at these...

2014 Volvo XC-90...

I think a highlander fits all the OP criteria, consider just buying it new. A deal compared to the $80k Land Cruiser. It's fun to spend your money.  :laugh:
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Need guidance on used Mercedes purchase
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »
Just piling on about German cars.  My neighbor has a couple of Beemers.  He likes working on them like some here like to play with their Guzzis; he has one car that he uses for track days.  Anyway, his daily driver was overheating.  He showed me the ELECTRIC water pump he pulled.  He wouldn't tell me what the replacement costs.  An Electronically controlled electric water pump with an attached aluminum thermostat housing?  Why?

THIS !  EXACTLY !
I gave my local independent mechanic a rash this week over this very item. Electric water pump & thermo = an $1,100 bill. 
The wife's car is an '07 5 series.  Been in multiple times for the electronic dip-stick, too.  Often gives erroneous readings.  You can't even check the oil.  He's a fair guy, but his comment was "they truly don't build them like they used to."

My little '04 wagon is nearing 150k miles, and has been acceptable.  The cooling system is the Achilles part on this one.  A few expansion tanks, radiator, hoses & thermostats. 

I would personally like a mid-90's Benz- something out of the era when they were lauded for anvil reliability.  A friend with a late 90's E55AMG has put near 200k on his with the only issues being "performance awards" by the California Highway Patrol.  Less gee-whiz features from a better vanished time! 

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
well Drums- all that crap just makes me feel good having a Camaro for a go-fast and an Accord for transportation.  And the Camaro is nothing to brag about with the distributor next to the water pump, but it's still not German crazy.  And my diesel is a Duramax (and the water pump is $1k job). 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:34:38 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
For value the Kia and Hyundai stand out in the JD Power study.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here