Author Topic: 1100 Takes Shape  (Read 31028 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1100 Takes Shape
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
I would make something for you if it comes to that.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
This might cover your Magni logo but...

Could you add the gauge with a little bracket to where the fairing support bolts down? It might look alright. Would be plenty visible.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:14:18 PM by Unkept »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
That was my first thought, too.. but it's not the prettiest gauge in the world to "showcase."

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »
Ok Ok I'm feeling the negativity here guys

Thank You Chuck for your generous offer and Unkept for the suggestion, I have used that location on the 1000 to mount a clock.

Not worried about obscuring the Magni logo, but the depth of a pressure gauge and the fittings, not to mention the rigidity of the steel braided hose would make it tricky to put a gauge there. I think it would be nowhere near as neat as it is right now.

Obviously the gauge itself is Cough!!! Cough!!!................. "A little on the lurid side"

So I have just bought this

http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/CWB00100.cfm

I know the P clip around the fork leg is not ideal, now if I had an alloy clamp it would look better, but I'm just really failing to see how offensive it is, the gauge I get.

John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »
Now, we're talking..  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2017, 06:00:42 AM »
Hi John,

I have to say I agree with Chuck and unkept, it looks a bit iffy with the p-clips. But the new gauge looks really nice :grin:

How about mounting like this? Then it wouldn't be mounted on the fork and it wouldn't affect steering input. You could also make the foam around the gauges so it fits over the small gauge too. Then it would look like it was meant to be there.

Also a hotwire cutter and a template would improve the finish of the foam.

Still can't wait to see the finished bike, it will be a work of art!  :popcorn:

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2017, 08:57:01 AM »
Yeah Rick, I'm well aware of the drawbacks on the P Clip mount. If I could get an alloy clip that would do the job of the P clips believe me I'd be using it

The P clip is my last resort I have searched and searched to try to find something and came up empty handed.

If you look at the new gauge you'll see its quite deep then the depth is increased at least 50% again when the fittings and connectors are added followed by the hose itself

Regarding the suggested mount, I wholeheartedly agree but unless I get a drill (or worse glue) out I can't think of a way to locate it there. This might well be because I'm not the brightest bulb, if anybody has a suggestion please, please tell me how. The instrument mount is a thin plastic cover that look like it would crack at the drop of a hat.

I welcome all the criticism and suggestions that's why I'm posting if I fall off the log I'm relying on guys like you to tell me and make me think again about it all.

I have ordered new clips as the 54mm around the fork leg needed to be lined so that makes it look even worse.

Although I've not come up with anything better, it may end up looking just a little neater. I realize aesthetically it's far from ideal, however right now I don't think it's THAT bad, I didn't have to drill or modify anything and it can be removed very easily.

On the foam surround, I was experimenting with what to use to cut it and that was a first attempt, I'd do better if I gave it another go. However I'm thinking of just making a template and taking it to an auto upholsterer with some foam and get them to cut the shape for me.

Thank you to all who have posted it's appreciated

John

ps Brake hoses arrived this morning............ .....hope they fit  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:10:21 AM by Old Jock »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »
 Okay John I'll add my $.03 :grin: I too kinda like the P clamp but if you were to flip it over, drill and tap the 45Degree section on the triple clamp and secure the clamp with a machine screw till something else strikes you, it would eliminate the clamp around the fork upper.   Free advice you know...........

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
I know this would require some longer hose and maybe some routing along the fairing... but I like the idea of the gauge here, kind of like a boost gauge on a race car. ;) You could just put a small clamp on that fairing support...

upload image

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
That would work Unkept

Liking the Photoshop skills too  :grin:

Paul B

Thanks for the suggestion it's appreciated and yes that would certainly look a lot neater, but drilling and tapping into the Magni Triple Clamp, is a non starter, not for the sake of a pressure gauge, I'd rather just cap it and junk the gauge altogether than start messing with the clamp

Right now I'm doing battle with the brake lines, they seem to fit, but trying to work the best routing, they will look a bit odd as they have to be routed down the front of the forks because of all the stuff hanging of the the frame at the front.

Hopefully though they will be an improvement on the original setup

John
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:22:08 PM by Old Jock »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
So the good news, I am waiting for a prettier pressure gauge. Bad news the P clips are staying for now. It's simple easy to remove and easy to read so that's all I want to achieve

While waiting I'm fiddling around with the battery, out the Ducati (AGAIN!!!). Things are looking good, this of course is just a trial install and I'll need to order a Shorai with the same dimensions but opposite, terminal placing (they exist so perhaps onto a solution)

After rotating the battery every which way, I reckon this is my best bet. A strap, rubber lining of the tank sides where the tank comes into contact and finally dual lock on the frame to battery, if the 2 former do not hold it rock solid.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here