Author Topic: 1100 Takes Shape  (Read 31030 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1100 Takes Shape
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
So I dropped the 1000 after about Oh 3 miles at walking speed, nothing major but a lot of front end superficial stuff now requires repairing, jeez if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck

So while waiting for parts, I've been giving the 1100 a little (but not much) attention

Fuel pump and mount. The mount was an E-Bay item that I got a mate to modify, once installed in the normal pendulum position it was too close to the front wheel for comfort so I mounted the other way and luckily there was enough clearance. The Pierburg pump can easily handle suction pressures so head issues are not a problem and (I hope) it should fuel just fine. The horns are mounted with P Clips and just sticking out the back there is the new pressure switch.

The fittings from the engine to the pressure switch, the coils and a hopefully more tasteful looking engine to frame breather, at the moment its silicone but I have oil resistant elbows on order, it should look the same

Breather hoses, rear sets, side stand all in place

General shot of the whole thing GOD its slow going

John
You have a rare skill Jock, the charming thing is you don't know it !

Offline wcguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »
Beautiful work John. Inspiring.
Dennis

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Wow, that is a beautiful bike. I didn't know Magni made MG frames. Well done!
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

oldbike54

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2016, 11:36:28 PM »
  :bow: :thumb: :bow: :thumb:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2016, 11:36:28 PM »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2016, 05:59:06 AM »
Wow, that is a beautiful bike. I didn't know Magni made MG frames. Well done!

Heh Pressureangle I read through your LM IV build thread and looked at the pics on Google, that is one impressive rebuild and I'm now lusting after Micro Blue parts and Baisley rockers...........D amm you  :wink:

Magni's frames are based loosely around Guzzi's concepts, the 1000 is similar to Tonti's design but much changed with wider gauge, more bracing, etc: before we get to the parallelogramo arms.

The Sfida 1100, the Sfida 1000 4V and Australia (I believe) are based around Guzzi's spine frame but are different in quite a few ways, its far from a standard spiney with double swing arms.

I had an early Daytona and never felt at home with it, I'm 5' 7" and always felt perched on top the bike, the Sfida 1100 is much lower and more in line with Le Mans inside leg measurements

As for the other comments........... .........Once more  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Nothing I'm doing is special, you want skill? Go look at Pressureangle or Chuck in Indiana's builds and many many more on here.

My only skill is an attention to detail bordering on OCD with too much time and money to spend. Going through parts catalogues and reading up on stuff etc:  I freely admit I do try my best and I don't mind attacking the same problem again and again and again till a voice says "good enough for government work"

Occasionally I strike gold with a good vendor for particular parts like

Brakes; ISR
Paint; Gs Customs (is Jockland so not much use to the majority)
Hoses etc: Mocal (in the UK)
CRK (my local machining shop in Glasgow)
INOX for the majority of my fasteners

I also have always received unfaltering assistance from those on here and Guzzitech. The people on both forums ("the usual suspects") are TERRIFIC & solved many problems for me over the years

The rest is cutting, grinding but mainly screwing parts on, hardly skillful.

I cannot weld, I have no machines except a household drill, a Dremel, a very small vice and the usual assortment of spanners, sockets etc: Oh and a caliper (mustn't forget the caliper)

Anyway thanks all, it encourages me that at least some of you still continue to take an interest so I'll post up some more from time to time.

John

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »
Yeah they're very true comments you make Jock, but I still maintain you can get some people who are geniuses at machining, welding etc.. But they still end up with an ugly bike aesthetically because they have no "taste", those bikes are balanced in their stance IMO and look like they should have come from Italythat way, it may make you feel uncomfortable Jockbut no one's saying anything that's not true. There have been some disastrous attempts at stylingfrom Mandello and Bologna, although it would be rude to name them 'cos some members probably have an example of them, but I'll take a chance and ask what were they thinking with the Ducati 860 GTS ?

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2016, 01:43:54 PM »
So not a lot to add really, been playing around with the fuel lines and apart from adding the low pressure line (I ordered hose 11.12mm) I'm hoping the 12mm I now have ordered will work.

I still need to tie-wrap up the lines but waiting until the low pressure line goes in

So here is how the pump/filter combo install ended up, pretty tight but works, the bolts were replaced by studs, easier to assemble that way.

The cap screws that loosen/open the holder enclosing the fuel filter have been replaced by hex, this means I can loosen the holder off in situ and pull the filter out when replacement time is due.

The cap screws could not be undone due to the headstock getting in the way.

Anyway a few not terribly good photographs

Fuel filter pump setup

Shot of the oil cooler mounting and hoses more or less stock and a PIA to install

As I put in the headlamp front mudguard and had the tank on trial installing a couple of general views

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2016, 07:26:13 PM »
Love It :grin:
Happy tinkering/crafting/fabricating/inventing, Jock :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

canuck750

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »
WOW that is looking fantastic, beautiful work!

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2016, 04:26:06 AM »
And a sidestand on the side, not the front! Going to have to organise me one of those somehow. Once I get back home I'm going to read this thread again - I'm sure I've missed some delightful bits as I grab a few minutes every now & again when the connections align along the road. Well done - looking good.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2016, 10:17:47 AM »
Why the hell isn't some bugger who makes bikes looking to get your input Jock. So many potentially good bikes are let down by half baked styling errors and crappy add on designs. If you said you were making a bike for me 'cos I couldn't do it myself, I'd hand you a signed cheque and say, "call me when it's done". I know I'd like it in advance. BTW, I'm in Rimini at the moment after doing Central Europe ( Transfagarasan)  and Serbia, Croatia etc.... On the Norge. Plan to be back in UK around July 5 so may still swing by Glasgow if offer is still open to see your bikes, would be a treat for sure. Huzo

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »
Of course the offer is open to you Huzo.

If you want to put your head down here for a night its not a problem and I guarantee your own space to move around should you want or need. Can show you the delights of Glasgow that'll take 10................m aybe 15minutes. There is room to park the bike in the back Garden, maybe even room in a shed if I clear enough space.

As of now the 1000 has the fairing off (I dropped the dammed thing at walking speed, see earlier in the thread), but depending on when you come it may be together, except for the fairing. I am awaiting parts from Magni and my painter is not available until July  :sad:

But Yeah PM me in a couple of weeks if you're mad enough to come up no probs, there are some reasonable roads for a day out on the scoots too if the weather is dry and you want to explore a little

John

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
That dammed fuel system piping has been giving me fits

Anyway I think I've more or less got it sorted (well until I find I cannot get the loom on)

Some pictures of what I hope is the final iteration

Output from pump to filter on RHS remains unchanged

LHS where fuel from tank to pump input is at the bottom, pressurised fuel from filter output is at the top. I decided to move the filter output line to the injectors to the outside of the frame to give it a larger radius & for aesthetics. The hose clips were originally intended for the breather hoses, but didn't get used, so I put them on here.

Lines running under the tank, the piece of silicone is a gash piece I had lying around, although the LP  line is SS armoured its still deforms quite easily (unlike the HP which is rock hard) so I placed the silicone over it to stop the line getting deformed by the tie wraps. There is also an old cut grip over the frame tube to stop the HP line from scratching the powder

Hopefully now I can make some more progress and start on the loom

John

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »
Looking good John :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
Thank You Balvenie

Soooooo, I've been doing battle with the Hydra that is the wiring loom. Not quite finished yet, as I still need to add the 2 front sections of the loom but they are pretty small in comparison to the  rest, of course that's not to say they will not bite me in the ass and require a complete rethink. They will have to wait until I can get the bars back from the anodizer in order to mount the switch gear.

The 2 other flies in the ointment are

The battery box and its location, I have yet to seriously look at this but space is mighty tight and I can see me just going to something like an 18Ah LiFe battery but that will then require a new battery box to be made to mount it. Even worse case though and it just gets sited where the original was, it will be smaller and I'm thinking about a full box rather than the original 3 sided jobby that was the original and made it look like the battery was stuck onto the sides of the crankcase

Instrument panel, I think the original is a ghastly piece of work the 1100 dash was never a favorite of mine. Then Magni decided to add insult to injury and use a blue speedo to compliment (NOT) the white rev counter the whole thing just really hurts my eyes and offends.

I had set my sites on a Translogic digital dash, however they have stopped producing it and have a new dash in development, the big question is when it's going to be ready. Even if I had it now I know getting it to fit and then wired is going to be a whole new ballgame too.

So where I am as of now!!!

Starting at the back of the bike, with the loom running down both sides, there is little I could do to improve the "dogs breakfast" at the back of the bike, I did make several attempts, but it came to nought

The fuse box is screwed, in the relay box lashed in with cable ties, as are so many components on the Magni. The white relay block with the flying leads and the black box on top is a Kelllerman digital flasher relay. Later I'll probably replace the bulbs with LEDs, I'm not changing the indicator units just replacing the bulbs with LEDs.

The box at the back houses a Jefferies "My ECU" which was on when I got it.

The loom then runs down both sides, on one side I used the sub frame on the other the remote shock reservoir line. Both lines then run along the side of the frame then underneath the frame up to the headstock. This is the LHS (Duhhhh), the thing sitting on the top of the frame is the barometric transmitter, held on with Dual Lock, there are quite a few sensors and they just seem to randomly installed where they could without too much (any) thought. Between all the wiring and all the plumbing for the fuel and breather systems it's a bit of a nightmare to squeeze all the stuff in and get it to look even halfway tidy

To check for possible conflicts with components in 3D space and time, I wouldn't dare to defy Euclid, I installed the filters and HT plug leads. Hell if truth be known I've been itching to see if they would install Ok and how they would look, me likey

Finally just a general view

So what with the wait for the bars before I can really make any significant progress and the bits for my slightly bent 1000 arriving the other day. I'm going to stop working on the 1100 for a short while to try and get the 1000 as near as I can to ready for the road.

Any comments or points where I could improve are more than welcome

John
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:41:37 PM by Old Jock »

Offline Paradiso

• New Egg
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
Lovely bike. You're doing a good job.  Always liked the Magni Guzzis.  I like the chunky head guards.  Where did you get them from?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
Looks like you have it under control.  :smiley: Nice work..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2016, 04:36:56 AM »
Lovely bike. You're doing a good job.  Always liked the Magni Guzzis.  I like the chunky head guards.  Where did you get them from?

These got made for me by Joe Caruso.

One day I just got a mail telling me that he had some surprise bits made for me and if I didn't want them that would be fine too.

Few weeks later he sent me these. I have an identical set on the 1000, as they have the Magni Logo they are a bit special but Joe or his brother Giovanni may have generic Guzzi ones that are similar in shape.

If you are interested drop me a PM and I'll ask

John

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »
What a hell of a fun project to watch. I check in here infrequently enough these days that the multiple updates make for very interesting info and pics to pore over.

Thanks for taking the time to document it and post it. I'm doing a Ford/MGB and can't seem to ever take the time to even get good photos let alone load 'em up so I salute your efforts beyond those on the bike itself.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
Very slow progress recently & I'm not so happy with my recent efforts, but heh ho, just soldiering on

So I finally figured out a way to install the rest of the wiring at the front of the bike and with the exception of a dash (more of that in a minute) so its more or less all wired (I hope)

Next is something I utterly loathe doing, fitting the exhaust. I decided to wrap the headers not because I like wrap particularly nor do I believe any of the BS claims made about it. It was simply to cover the stained headers and have something that is a little more aesthetic, I realize some may differ on that opinion, but it is me that's going to have to live with it.

After wrapping the pipes I trial installed and this is the point I am now at. The headers need to come back off in order to spray the wrap with heat coat paint to make them blacker, seal them and hopefully make the whole thing look better

Some general shots

I was a bit too zealous in my trimming so now have a smidgen of the pipe showing where it meets the cylinder, it may be less when I install the exhaust gasket & on the plus side it makes it a helluva site easier to install the retainers and spacers

I do not need anybody to point out my wrapping skills are shit and no 2 wraps are the same width, it took me 3 attempts to get them looking like that!!

On the dash I have a MotoGadget Motoscope ready to go and some CF sheet ordered to mount it with. Picture below gives you an idea of the size

The only downside of it is its TINY, & although I don't think visibility will be a problem the dash area may look a bit empty, suppose I will see when the time comes

John

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »
What about titanium headers John ($$$$$$$), when they blue up a bit they look great, is tat a consideration for you ?

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2016, 03:50:28 AM »
Never thought about that Huzo, never knew such a thing was available TBH

No harm in doing a little research

Thanks

John

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
Yeah they sorta have that pukka race look, kinda raw but purposeful, a bit like what you'd see on an MGS 01, would do justice to your creation maybe? The rest of the bike is so clean in it's creative approach, it'd be a shame if you got the effect of Claudia Schiffers on the catwalk in a pressure stockings !!! Does that make any sense in an oblique way ???

Offline Mark Harpell

• New Egg
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
Being a very visually oriented guy - this is one sweet thread!

Todd.
Exactly what I was thinkin.....beautif ul bikes.....
Mark

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2016, 04:11:12 AM »
Yeah they sorta have that pukka race look, kinda raw but purposeful, a bit like what you'd see on an MGS 01, would do justice to your creation maybe? The rest of the bike is so clean in it's creative approach, it'd be a shame if you got the effect of Claudia Schiffers on the catwalk in a pressure stockings !!! Does that make any sense in an oblique way ???

Course it does Huzo, very funny in fact, I'll need to look at some MGS pictures.

It will stay this way for now, too much other stuff to get on with but yes I know where you are coming from

I considered and rejected getting them Ceramic coated but thought it may look a bit odd with the metal slip on section of the Carbon can, but you do have me thinking about it again. It's a dammed site cheaper than Ti and looks pretty good

Picture from Camcoat's website where I'd send them

John

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2016, 04:44:28 AM »
If you need some specific MGS exhaust pictures, I can arrange it, just let us know.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2016, 06:29:07 AM »
The Kid cleaned up the headers on his spot. They look nice. Of course, they'll turn golden again.
Edit for picture.. sorry, no close ups.
2016-08-03_03-46-55 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:30:54 AM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2016, 07:15:29 AM »

On the dash I have a MotoGadget Motoscope ready to go and some CF sheet ordered to mount it with. Picture below gives you an idea of the size

The only downside of it is its TINY, & although I don't think visibility will be a problem the dash area may look a bit empty, suppose I will see when the time comes

John

Curious to see how you addressed the magnetic input for the speedo. I have the same setup I am putting on a project of my own.

B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2016, 08:23:07 AM »
Curious to see how you addressed the magnetic input for the speedo. I have the same setup I am putting on a project of my own.

I purchased the inductive trigger for the MotoScope which does not require any magnets, simply some sort of ferrous protrusion to trigger a pulse

The rear disc is held in place by 6 bolts which pass through the gap in the rear disc carrier

The black line denotes the approximate center line where the bolts pass when in the center of the triangular gap. The plan is to get my local machinist to make a small bar which will insert into the carrier and be secured by 2 shallow M5 cap screws on the black line

The bar will be drilled and tapped with an M5 thread in the center through which the inductive sensor will pass. I can then screw the sensor in or our until get the required gap and locked with an M5 bolt

That's the plan anyway, once its done I'll post some pictures of the finished assembly

John

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2016, 08:48:57 AM »
The Kid cleaned up the headers on his spot. They look nice. Of course, they'll turn golden again.
Edit for picture.. sorry, no close ups.
2016-08-03_03-46-55 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Thanks Chuck

I rejected polishing as its exactly the same with the Ducati. Loads of owners get the pipes polished & I think they look great BUT being the lazy sod I am, I don't want to be dragging pipes on and off the bike all the time. Exhausts are just one of my many pet hates to assemble dis-assemble, not sure if its just me but they are always welded together for dis-assembly and never align correctly first go on reassembly.

To avoid this with the 1098 I got the pipes ceramic coated

On the Sfida 1000 I initially got the pipes Cermakromed, a special ceramic coating that emulates chrome but in reality comes out with a bluish cast and not nearly so shiny. The pipes then went back down and got redone in black. Due to the black going on top of the Cermakrome the black started to peel at the headers, so I wrapped them. On the 1000 I think it looks pretty good on the 1100 it just doesn't do it at all if I'm honest.

So the pipes will be going to Camcoat and hopefully the black ceramic coating will not flake as I have not been stupid enough this time to get them Cermakromed first

John

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here