Author Topic: My V9 Roamer Thread (trip pics pg4)  (Read 31126 times)

bpreynolds

Re: My V9 Roamer Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »

I'd love to see some sales numbers on the V9.   When I talked to Walter at Europa Machinna last year, they hadn't sold one yet, and word was that they were a sales flop across the whole country.

Hopefully they're catching on now, not just among WildGuzzi members, but, hopefully, they're drawing new riders into the Guzzi fold.

:1: Hope so too. 
But if they don't and Guzzi drops them, then my garage will then contain two short lived, mostly lauded, personally loved but publicly shunned motorcycles  :grin: in the KTM 950 Supermoto and the Roamer  :thumb:

bpreynolds

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
Yikes!  Went last night to do the valve check, started to remove the spark plug covers on the head, and wowey zowey were those things torqued in there.  I was using a hex socket and several of them just refused to budge and even began to strip the hex head.  I�ll have to figure out some way of getting those 3 remaining out without damaging their respective cylinder head holes. 

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »
Damn! Mine were a piece of cake!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
I think I'm gonna try the OEM rearsets just as an experiment. 

Now if I could figure out how to get breynolds' bi/triceps.  Library books heavy lifting?
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »

bpreynolds

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 06:25:12 AM »
I think I'm gonna try the OEM rearsets just as an experiment. 

Now if I could figure out how to get breynolds' bi/triceps.  Library books heavy lifting?

Hahahahahahaha!  Adan, it's just my right arm  :wink:

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »
Hey Jack,
Do you still have the rear rack?
Want to sell it if so?

Thanks,
Jack aka inditx

Adding my thoughts on my V9 Roamer. Bought it a year ago after years of big block Californias. I wanted smaller, lighter, more agile, etc. This bike fits the bill for me. I have about 15k now. I like it the way it came mostly; removed the charcoal canister and the associated plumbing, removed the passenger footpegs, installed a solo seat, installed a decent horn, removed the "heat shields" that were attached to the middle part of the exhaust, added Hepco Becker hard cases. I bought and installed the Guzzi rear rack for the V9. Didn't like it all all, so removed it.

Although certainly not a performance machine, it feels athletic and quick; easy to ride, and I like that it stands out among the large, heavy, muscular machines that dominate the roads these days.

inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »
At our local Wasaga Beach Bike show I closely looked at a new V9 Roamer on display.  The smaller size compared to my Cali II looked just great ... but then I noticed the severe angles for the driveshaft U joints required to clear the wide rear wheel.   :undecided:
On our farm we always try to run the PTO shafts with the tractor as straight as possible to avoid excessive wear and stress on the U joints.
Does anyone else have a concern for the U-joint twists and turns on the V9 models??   :bike-037:
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 07:10:39 AM »
At our local Wasaga Beach Bike show I closely looked at a new V9 Roamer on display.  The smaller size compared to my Cali II looked just great ... but then I noticed the severe angles for the driveshaft U joints required to clear the wide rear wheel.   :undecided:
On our farm we always try to run the PTO shafts with the tractor as straight as possible to avoid excessive wear and stress on the U joints.
Does anyone else have a concern for the U-joint twists and turns on the V9 models??   :bike-037:

Maybe that's part of the reason why the V9 is the first small block with a double u joint driveshaft! I wouldn't worry about it... The dual sport TT and NTX bikes we're single u joint with a much more extreme angle.

bpreynolds

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
Long post here, folks, so get yourself locked in for the reading that is vastly less exciting than a McGregor/Mayweather bout.  Or just change the channel.  I couldn't blame ya. 

So me and the Roamer are now at about 2100 or so miles.  As I mentioned in my earlier update, it is still and proving to be more so with each mile, my absolute favorite Guzzi engine bar none.  I just can't get over it, how efficient it is, how smooth it is even at speeds of 85 and (gasp) 90 on the highway, how powerful it is relatively speaking, how charming it is overall.  It's a winner for damn sure. 

And yes, even given all this I still teeter back and forth on keeping it or not given my lower back issues.  After a long ride recently I had even decided it wasn't going to work out for me and the bike and my back but just yesterday I changed my mind and decided it is just too gorgeous and too pleasing to give up on it.  Even with the much improved factory rearsets on the bike it is not as comfortable for me over the long haul as my previous V7 Stone was which located the pegs more under your butt per se.  This is, however, not the bike's fault and it is solely my damaged discs.  Anyone with a lower back in decent shape should find the ergos pretty great.  I continue to experiment with this and perhaps even some Vario rotating pegs are in the works to even get further back and down.  But I can get significant miles on the bike without too much pain/discomfort so I feel like I'm getting closer on it though it still annoys me after about 100 miles or so.  Here are two pics from a recent trip to Bloomington and then last night to wonderful Madison Indiana.
IMG_5794 by Brian, on Flickr
IMG_5833 by Brian, on Flickr
If you look super closely, you'll notice the cheapy plastic eagles are not on the tank and the explanation below; yet, I'm strangely starting to like the tank better without them.

So, even aside from the ergos, however, it hasn't all been champaign and roses.  A few very small things but one big one here shown.  The Roamer's kickstand leans the bike over significantly which is a factor here and too, the Roamer's factory gas cap - but maybe it's just mine? - doesn't seem to really lock down/seal well when fully closed.  Anyhow, so three weeks back I fill up the bike like I have on many occasions just prior to returning to the house.  I usually fill it up not over but to near the top.  I park the bike in the garage and fate would have it that I don't drive it for about 4 days as the KTM takes on some miles - oh the luck and joy of the man with a multi bike garage :).  Four days later I pull the Roamer out and notice this pictured here which at first glance looks very much like someone left a urinary comment all over the top and side of my gas tank spreading down from the cap.  This picture really only shows a portion of it as the gas stain was much larger on the top of the tank running down to this area pictured.

IMG_20170805_184839_resized_20170806_085455030 by Brian, on Flickr

In all my years of riding and many, many bikes, getting some gas on the tank of a bike has never been that big of a deal at least for me - and there has been times I'm embarrassed to say when I got a LOT of gas on a tank and it didn't get cleaned off for whatever reason.  But none of those instances did this. I tried washing it off, I tried waxing it off, I tried buffing it off, I tried using Maguire's Scratch X, I tried using rubbing compound as a last resort.  Nothing, nothing was seeming to bring it off.  So I guess the full tank of gas combined with the heavily leaning side stand, the cap that doesn't seal so well, and sitting in the garage for 4 days with the gas just seeping out of it produced this.  I don't know enough about paint to say the Roamer's admittedly gorgeous paint is any more soft than any other paint under the same circumstances, but I am saying this has never happened before with me and since this, I've been super careful to not fill the tank too close to the top.  Others with a V9 "may" want to take care to do the same. 

I ultimately had to remove the tank and take it to my body guy who said the stain had gotten down into the clear coat but not all the way to the paint; thus, he didn't have to paint the tank but did have to sand it, retouch the pin striping, and - to protect against further incidents such as this - put about 3 layers of his premium grade clear coat on it.  So all's well that ends well in regard to this and the tank has been returned to stock, or maybe even better than stock with the extra clear coating on it.  But oh well.  Something to look out for if you're a V9 owner, fill your tank up, and park the bike for extended time.  And as I said, I'm kinda liking the tank without the eagles which, man oh man, are they some cheap plastic :)

Aside from this and very minor, I was slightly surprised at all the aluminum foil heat guard that has fallen down out of the exhaust area underneath the metal heat shields.  Doesn't surprise me as it was just glued in there but sorta disappointing on a new bike to look down at various times and see browned aluminum foil falling out around the lower exhaust.  But that's a nit I'm picking. 

Additionally, I've gotta say I sorta hate the design that, I guess(?), Guzzi adopted around '15 forward where the V7, and now V9s too, have the one cover over the entire front portion of the engine.  I went to do the valve check and was surprised to find this.  If I recall correctly, previous models ('14 and before, I think) had a cover (with Moto Guzzi logo) you could remove to reveal the crank that could be spun to yield TDC for valve checks and such.  If I understand this correctly on the '15 forward bikes this is all one giant cover so to speak.  Unless you want to park the bike up in sixth and spin the wheel, your only option to get TDC is to remove this one giant pita cover with like 14 bolts or something (and one hidden so ridiculously tight and odd as to make you question design logic).  You'll also incur oil loss so be prepared with pan underneath.  Anyway, also a minor nit so to speak.

All in all it is proving to be a wonderful bike.  If I wasn't to blame in part for tank I guess I'd be more upset; yet, I do think that is a cheapy crap cap.  I'll look at some ways of possibly making it a better sealer since I don't think (?) there is an option out there right now for replacement.

Sent from my iPad
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:29:23 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
Good report. Thanks for the fair assessment of things. Bummer on the paint and glad you were able to get it worked out, literally. No doubt it cost you a couple bucks to do that too.

I'm not sure how the tank vents, but you might consider that as an alternative to the cap. Of course that would involve getting rid of the charcoal canister and the one way valve in the vent tube. At least any fuel that would get expelled would drip under the bike rather than the tank. 

My very short experience riding a V9 was a positive one. Like you, I was very impressed with the motor. It delivered more than I was expecting, which was a very pleasant surprise. Sounds like you may be getting the ergos dialed in to your liking. Hopefully you find the right combination to suit you.

John Henry

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
As much as I like to spin the front of the crankshaft for my valve checks I think the wet alternator would make me a rear tire spinner for sure.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
As much as I like to spin the front of the crankshaft for my valve checks I think the wet alternator would make me a rear tire spinner for sure.

:1:

John Henry

bpreynolds

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »
Good report. Thanks for the fair assessment of things. Bummer on the paint and glad you were able to get it worked out, literally. No doubt it cost you a couple bucks to do that too.

Yes, he says :grin:
I try and take comfort in that it was significantly less than a paint job and tremendously less than a new tank.  For a while there, though, I was liking the idea of a matte blue or green Roamer similar to the new Stones :boozing:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:54:26 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »
Can't tell you how much I appreciate these updates. I'm still honeymooning with my Roamer, going in for the 900-mile service and farklefest this week -- Agostinis, engine protectors, tail rack and bag, flyscreen.

I have a smaller frame of reference when it comes to Guzzis, but the Roamer seems a perfect compromise between my former nimble but slightly underpowered V7 Cafe Classic and the Griso 8V, which was beastly in both power and heft. Most of my riding is on those country two-lane roads you mentioned, and the aptly named Roamer is perfect for exploring at a pace that's brisk but not balls to the wall.

Everything you said about the V9 engine and drivetrain are true. It doesn't run out of passing power as quickly as the V7, yet I can use more of its power in everyday riding without risking life and license than I could with the Griso. The tranny gets smoother with every mile, and though it's hard to tell without a tach, the tall sixth gear makes it feel as if the Roamer is more relaxed at 75+ than the Griso.

Only real complaint so far is the gear whine at low speeds around town. With the stock mufflers, it sounds like an electric bike in the lower gears. The dealer says that will quiet down with the gearbox oil change. Hope so, but at least the Agostinis should help drown it out!

The ergos are near perfect for me at 5'9". No complaints about the seat as a solo rider. The Bobber seat is a torture device, but while the Roamer seat looks the same it is firm without being as hard. IMHO the bigger dual seat Piaggio is sending out as a replacement on newer models after reviewer complaints is butt-ugly, in addition to not fitting with the current tail rack.

Even with the OEM rearsets, I could stand to have the pegs a little farther back. Maybe it just takes getting used to, but I find myself scraping the inside of my calves when putting my feet down at a light.

All in all, the bike is a beauty to look at and ride, and I'm glad I made the switch. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the warning about the filler cap. Those eagles may be cheap and plastic, but I'm proud of them!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:01:06 PM by wittangamo »
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

bpreynolds

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
Can't tell you how much I appreciate these updates. I'm still honeymooning with my Roamer, going in for the 900-mile service and farklefest this week -- Agostinis, engine protectors, tail rack and bag, flyscreen.

I have a smaller frame of reference when it comes to Guzzis, but the Roamer seems a perfect compromise between my former nimble but slightly underpowered V9 Cafe Classic and the Griso 8V, which was beastly in both power and heft. Most of my riding is on those country two-lane roads you mentioned, and the aptly named Roamer is perfect for exploring at a pace that's brisk but not balls to the wall.

Everything you said about the V9 engine and drivetrain are true. It doesn't run out of passing power as quickly as the V7, yet I can use more of its power in everyday riding without risking life and license than I could with the Griso. The tranny gets smoother with every mile, and though it's hard to tell without a tach, the tall sixth gear makes it feel as if the Roamer is more relaxed at 75+ than the Griso.

Only real complaint so far is the gear whine at low speeds around town. With the stock mufflers, it sounds like an electric bike in the lower gears. The dealer says that will quiet down with the gearbox oil change. Hope so, but at least the Agostinis should help drown it out!

The ergos are near perfect for me at 5'9". No complaints about the seat as a solo rider. The Bobber seat is a torture device, but while the Roamer seat looks the same it is firm without being as hard. IMHO the bigger dual seat Piaggio is sending out as a replacement on newer models after reviewer complaints is butt-ugly, in addition to not fitting with the current tail rack.

Even with the OEM rearsets, I could stand to have the pegs a little farther back. Maybe it just takes getting used to, but I find myself scraping the inside of my calves when putting my feet down at a light.

All in all, the bike is a beauty to look at and ride, and I'm glad I made the switch. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the warning about the filler cap. Those eagles may be cheap and plastic, but I'm proud of them!

Honestly, I probably will put the eagles back on but kinda digging it without them for now  :thumb: And too, thanks for mentioning the gearbox as, like you, I have found it very nice though it still has that pleasing clunk down into 1st that I strangely enjoy.

As per the stock seat, I'm sorta in the opposite boat.  A little.  I've been surprised by how much better it has been for me than stock seats on any of the 4 previous 1100 Calis I owned - especially more kind to my derriere than the Jackal stocker which was, to this day even, the most hardcore stock seat I've ever experienced on a bike - and I own a KTM!!!  :bike-037: :laugh:  I can usually get about 100 comfortable miles out of the stock seat before the Airhawk comes out.  But like you, I have been brainstorming things.  I actually think the Roamer would look sharp with one of those Harper style single pan solo seats but nobody is obviously making one for now. 

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
My V9 Roamer Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »
I paid a visit to a Guzzi
Dealer in Auckland recently hoping to get a ride on a Roamer or Bobber. I like the look of Roamer over Bobber but was itching to try either.

Dealer had a bunch of Guzzis in a glass sided container which made quite a nice display.

They had a demo Bobber but when I asked for a ride the sales guy fobbed me off and said a v7II would be a better option for me. Come back when you've sold your old Cali 1100i and I'll give you the best deal in town.

So I looked at other bikes he had then retreated across the road for a nice latte with the missus and it started bucketing down. 

I was left feeling disappointed not to had a ride but glad not to be like a drowned rat .

No way I'll be buying my new bike from that plonker lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:05:39 PM by KiwiKev »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »

They had a demo Bobber but when I asked for a ride the sales guy fobbed me off and said a v7II would be a better option for me. Come back when you've sold your old Cali 1100i and I'll give you the best deal in town.

Innit odd how people who are supposedly smart enough to make a living selling motorcycle will do stupid stuff like that?

Back around 2000, before Jack Arnold introduced me to Guzzi, I was looking for a roadster to complement my BSA (my only bike at the time).   Kawasaki had just come out with the ZR-7, which I thought was a really nice looking bike and was just the type of bike I wanted.

Went to the Kawasaki shop and they had a nice blue one.   I had the money in my pocket, was sitting on the bike in showroom, and it felt good - light, good seating position, etc.    As I was sitting on it, the salesman came up.   "I'd like to test ride one of these, if you have a demo model available."

The salesman smiled pityingly and shook his head gently in a "what fools these mortals be" way.    "Come over here", says he, "I think this is what you're going to want!"

So he sat me down on a Vulcan 1700 Classic.   Huge fat low heavy motorcycle, the exact antithesis of what I was wanting.   Handlebar grips about 4 feet apart, footboards way out in front. "Now THIS is a highway bike, you'd get a neckache riding that other bike, THIS is what you need for riding with your friends and enjoying the road." 

I didn't argue with him.   I said "Thanks", left the shop, and haven't been back in it since, even though they sell Yamahas too which makes several bikes I might want.   Went and bought a Centauro and lived happily ever after.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
Innit odd how people who are supposedly smart enough to make a living selling motorcycle will do stupid stuff like that?

Back around 2000, before Jack Arnold introduced me to Guzzi, I was looking for a roadster to complement my BSA (my only bike at the time).   Kawasaki had just come out with the ZR-7, which I thought was a really nice looking bike and was just the type of bike I wanted.

Went to the Kawasaki shop and they had a nice blue one.   I had the money in my pocket, was sitting on the bike in showroom, and it felt good - light, good seating position, etc.    As I was sitting on it, the salesman came up.   "I'd like to test ride one of these, if you have a demo model available."

The salesman smiled pityingly and shook his head gently in a "what fools these mortals be" way.    "Come over here", says he, "I think this is what you're going to want!"

So he sat me down on a Vulcan 1700 Classic.   Huge fat low heavy motorcycle, the exact antithesis of what I was wanting.   Handlebar grips about 4 feet apart, footboards way out in front. "Now THIS is a highway bike, you'd get a neckache riding that other bike, THIS is what you need for riding with your friends and enjoying the road." 

I didn't argue with him.   I said "Thanks", left the shop, and haven't been back in it since, even though they sell Yamahas too which makes several bikes I might want.   Went and bought a Centauro and lived happily ever after.

Lannis
Yeh, he probably saw us roll up in our campervan and figured I was some tyre kicking old fart. And he would be right :-)

Offline grame99

• New Egg
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »

Here's my one. Passed my Mod2 just over a week ago and this was my treat to myself.

bpreynolds

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2017, 08:02:20 PM »

Here's my one. Passed my Mod2 just over a week ago and this was my treat to myself.

Sharp.  I like that red.  You'll love it, I'm sure. 

Sadly, I thought I was getting closer on getting the ergos worked out on mine to accomodate my bad discs, but alas, it does go on.  Took the bike out yesterday afternoon for about 100 mile spin and had bad sciatic pain in my legs last night.  Of course, that was only after riding three straight days of 100 plus mile jaunts so might just have been the cumulative effect of that more so than anything.  But still.   :rolleyes:  Friggin' discs.  It frustrates me a good bit.  I can ride my KTM with no major back issues, sometimes up to and over 400 mile days.  The V7 was "mostly" the same or at least seemingly much easier on my back.  My back just gets pickier and pickier as I get older on what it finds comfortable and what it doesn't.  Mainly thankful I still can ride the Katoom on those long days.  As mentioned earlier, I may try to see if the rotating Vario pegs for the Griso would also fit the Roamer's peg mounts.  But that would be rearsets on top of the factory rearsets.  I've done this before with bikes and my back, though, where I start chasing down comfort and ergos gremlins to try and appease my back.  Kinda like trying to make deals with terrorists in a way.  Sometimes works, oftentimes not.  And too, you start to wonder when you look at if if you're making a bike into something it was never really meant to be per se.  Yesterday on the majority of the ride home I was most comfortable leaning forward with my feet on the passenger pegs. 

Offline grame99

• New Egg
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »
I am enjoying it very much. Still getting my head round it all. The experience is very different from the Honda NC750 I trained on. The throttle is super-sensitive - these sudden surges can be a little alarming if in the wrong context. But I'm learning to twist it much more gently. The rear brake is a disappointment - at first I took it back to the dealer convinced that it wasn't working. But they tested it on some machine and said it was working fine. It's hardly there - and certainly nowhere near as effective as the Honda - which is something I will need to get used to. I have nothing to compare it to - but read many reviews saying it was a nice first bike. It certainly draws lots of comments from strangers. I can't think what I would get if I decided to change it. Maybe a Street Twin.

bpreynolds

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
While my back and the V9 continue the debate on whether or not they can ultimately live together, I am continuing on as if they are getting along splendidly  :thumb: and installed an ADVMonster Native H4 http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/ in the Roamer.  Maybe $44 tops including shipping; not kidding.  This is my 4th Native I've purchased (all for different bikes) and they never disappoint.  Still have one in my KTM now for probably the last 10k miles or more.  I never get flashed by oncoming motorists and difference on the road is tremendous after dark and even during the day where I am much more easily spotted by other drivers.  Wish I had done some before and after photos with the Roamer but oh well.  On the V9 it is basically plug and play but you do have to remove and say sayonara to the mostly decorative black interior ring inside the headlight housing. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:43:35 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2017, 01:37:30 PM »
Good to know about the lamp replacement. Almost ashamed to admit I haven't yet had the need to ride after dark, but I know stock Guzzi headlights leave something to be desired.

As for your back issues, have you tried backing off the preload? I'm 170 pounds or so stripped, and there was barely any sag when I saddled up at the factory setting. Dealer dialed it down a notch at the 1000k and the suspension isn't nearly as harsh.

I also invested in some farkles; OEM tail rack and bag (nice looking and versatile), TourMaster Coaster CL saddlebags (much cheaper than OEM and no permanent mounts, perfect for occasional weekenders), engine protectors (mostly bling, but may save repair costs in the event of a slide), Agostini slip-ons (now it sounds like a V-twin), and the OEM Roamer flyscreen.

The flyscreen was the only disappointment. At 5'9", the deflected air hit me right in the face. The noise level and buffeting were much worse with the screen than without, and there was no way to adjust rake or height.

I returned it, and ordered a Dart original. Had one of those on the old V7, and it did exactly what I needed -- took some wind off the chest at highway speed and protected the gauge electronics in the rain.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2017, 12:08:31 AM »
Sharp.  I like that red.  You'll love it, I'm sure. 

Sadly, I thought I was getting closer on getting the ergos worked out on mine to accomodate my bad discs, but alas, it does go on.  Took the bike out yesterday afternoon for about 100 mile spin and had bad sciatic pain in my legs last night.  Of course, that was only after riding three straight days of 100 plus mile jaunts so might just have been the cumulative effect of that more so than anything.  But still.   :rolleyes:  Friggin' discs.  It frustrates me a good bit.  I can ride my KTM with no major back issues, sometimes up to and over 400 mile days.  The V7 was "mostly" the same or at least seemingly much easier on my back.  My back just gets pickier and pickier as I get older on what it finds comfortable and what it doesn't.  Mainly thankful I still can ride the Katoom on those long days.  As mentioned earlier, I may try to see if the rotating Vario pegs for the Griso would also fit the Roamer's peg mounts.  But that would be rearsets on top of the factory rearsets.  I've done this before with bikes and my back, though, where I start chasing down comfort and ergos gremlins to try and appease my back.  Kinda like trying to make deals with terrorists in a way.  Sometimes works, oftentimes not.  And too, you start to wonder when you look at if if you're making a bike into something it was never really meant to be per se.  Yesterday on the majority of the ride home I was most comfortable leaning forward with my feet on the passenger pegs.
Mebbie a silly question but do you wear a back brace of some sort while riding ?

bpreynolds

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2017, 07:50:26 AM »
As for your back issues, have you tried backing off the preload? I'm 170 pounds or so stripped, and there was barely any sag when I saddled up at the factory setting. Dealer dialed it down a notch at the 1000k and the suspension isn't nearly as harsh.

The flyscreen was the only disappointment. At 5'9", the deflected air hit me right in the face. The noise level and buffeting were much worse with the screen than without, and there was no way to adjust rake or height.

Yup, tried the shock adjustment.

You are doing such phenomenal job with your Roamer.  Kudos to you.  I too invested in the MG fly screen.  Looks fabulous but like you, I found it terribly deficient on highway rides or longer stints in the saddle than about 50 miles.  Better than nothing but not by much.  I did a red suspenders worthy job of taking a handlebar mounted touring screen I wasn't using in the garage, removed the hardware, and drilled holes to mount directly to the MG fly arms.  Working much better but I do admit a big screen on the Roamer spoils the looks a bit.  I had a Dart on my previous '15 V7 Stone and it was a very well made, fine screen for the warmer months here in Louisville.

Mebbie a silly question but do you wear a back brace of some sort while riding ?

Not silly at all, Kev.  But no, not yet.  I guess it comes down to what I want from a bike and how much I'm willing to do to in terms of modifications to make it so called comfortable for my bad back when there are bikes out there that I know don't much aggravate it at all.  I ride the KTM 400 plus miles a day when touring, get off it, and walk around fresh and fine (though my butt would disagree LOL).  The V7 I had before didn't seem to bother my back nearly as much either and I took it on some 1400 mile round trip tours that went really well.  The one thing the KTM and the V7 have in common as opposed to the Roamer is they both have taller seat heights and position my feet more directly under me bum. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:54:47 AM by bpreynolds »

bpreynolds

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
Taking John's advice I have backed the springs off preload even furthe, almost all the way down.  We'll see how that goes.  Also, I got tired of shopping and dropping cash to adjust the pegs; I sourced all materials from a local hardware store built my own  :thumb: :laugh:  These set the pegs back about another 2 inches behind where the OEM rearsets reside.  If that works out I'll post more about it.  Not the work of a fine craftsman  :sad: but hey, cost me about $15 total so it's the best I could do.  Report back on this maybe following today's ride of about 130 miles or so. 

As the bike sits today.  Man, I can't be bashful about saying I personally think this is a gorgeous bike (if you ignore my giant windscreen).
IMG_5872 by Brian, on Flickr

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
No apologies needed for the windshield, the Roamed wears it well!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
Pegs look professional to me..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
It IS a gorgeous bike, and you are making it your own! Keep the updates coming.

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
...The rear brake is a disappointment - at first I took it back to the dealer convinced that it wasn't working. But they tested it on some machine and said it was working fine. It's hardly there - and certainly nowhere near as effective as the Honda - which is something I will need to get used to. I have nothing to compare it to - but read many reviews saying it was a nice first bike. It certainly draws lots of comments from strangers. I can't think what I would get if I decided to change it. Maybe a Street Twin.

The V7 II rear brake could be described the same.   OK for slowing before or in curves, but not much for stopping.
Nothing like my 2012 Triumph Bonneville...but I don't use the brakes much, anyway.
Triumph build quality is very good.

I am enjoying this V9 Roamer thread.   Only "negative", in comparison to the V7 II, that I have noticed is less fuel capacity.
The 5.8 gallon tank has spoiled me!
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here