Author Topic: B11 dash failure prevention  (Read 1671 times)

Offline frogeye100

• New Egg
B11 dash failure prevention
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
Hi there,
Got a 07' B11 12k miles, with no dash issues. What is the prefered method  to prevent a future failure? Is it tough to remove the parts for service?
Thanks

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: B11 dash failure prevention
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:10:52 AM »
Moto will be around soon, but a conformal coating. Maybe a phone repair shop?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Moto

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »
Chuck has it.

I did a lot of research and a big write-up a while back on my efforts to moisture-proof my Griso's dash. I ran into a lot of material on the web about the Breva too.

Though I wound up with both a ventilation/desiccation system and a conformal coating on my dash's printed circuit board (PCB), I now think a conformal coating is best.

Extracting the PCB from the Breva should be easier than the Griso, I recall. I don't think you need to desolder a ground strap.

Once you expose even one surface of the PCB you might take it to a phone repair place. If they are like the one I use, they will see how large and easy to work on these things are compared to a phone, and might be willing to extract it the rest of the way and then put a conformal coating on it. Or you could just do it yourself. I did, and I had no expertise at all. (My phone shop owner quoted $25 for the job, but he is probably exceptional.)

There is a funny gotcha with these dashes, in that they need to be open to atmospheric pressure because they have a pressure sensor soldered to them that the ECU needs for mixture adjustments. So it doesn't make sense to try to seal them completely.

If you're interested, there's a long thread here covering theory and practice: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=84968.0. As mentioned, the Breva dash is a close cousin of the Griso's, with most components being common to them both.

There are as many opinions on this topic as there are on motor oil. My dash is still fine, by the way. It's a great feeling not to worry about it any more.

Moto

Offline frogeye100

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Thank you Mr Moto,
The only step in the board coating process that concerns me  is the gauge needle removal.  Are the parts fragile?
Dean

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »

Moto

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »
Thank you Mr Moto,
The only step in the board coating process that concerns me  is the gauge needle removal.  Are the parts fragile?
Dean

It's a matter of degree and interpretation. I'd say they're not really fragile. You do have to be careful and sort of pinch the hub upward between your thumb and forefinger. You could make a mistake and screw things up, but if the rest of the procedure looks okay to you I think this will be too.

The little drive motors for the gauges have been available online, but installing one would be tricky.

Good luck! And by all means report your experience. We lack any account of a Breva coating attempt.

Kentaro

Offline frogeye100

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:08 PM »
Thank you very much!

Moto

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:00:13 AM »
I should mention there is a posting showing the dismantling of a Breva dash here:

http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/condensation-in-clocks-breva-griso.1892/

You'll have to join the guzzitech forum to access it.

Moto

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here