Author Topic: Shipping to Oz  (Read 904 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Shipping to Oz
« on: January 26, 2022, 07:40:11 AM »
I went to my local post office yesterday to ship a book to a member in Oz.  The - import restrictions are such that only express mail is permitted.  $123.00 to ship a small book, which I did not do. This must be killing you Aussies trying to import parts and other goods.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Shipping to Oz
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 07:49:50 AM »
I went to my local post office yesterday to ship a book to a member in Oz.  The - import restrictions are such that only express mail is permitted.  $123.00 to ship a small book, which I did not do. This must be killing you Aussies trying to import parts and other goods.

That might be a post office thing, have recent brought a couple of things of USA based suppliers, didn't cost anything outside what I would of normally expected, although one did take a lot longer than originally projected.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 02:03:51 PM »

It's not at the Australian end it's a USPS issue. USPS won't ship regular post at the moment and haven't for around 4 months or so. Yes it's a PITA but no issues shipping from anywhere else in the world except for the fact it's taking a bit longer these days.
A member on the V11 forum shipped an item to me Fedex from the US 2 weeks ago and I had it in my hand in 3 days.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:06:13 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »
I had a local shop order a movie for me from the States that wasn't available locally in 4k....
It only took 10 weeks to the day to get here!!!
Cheers Guzzler
Ps ordered 16/11/21 got the call 25/1/22 to drop in and pick it up.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 02:27:51 PM »
I had a local shop order a movie for me from the States that wasn't available locally in 4k....
It only took 10 weeks to the day to get here!!!
Cheers Guzzler
Ps ordered 16/11/21 got the call 25/1/22 to drop in and pick it up.

Sounds like it was probably shipped surface mail. I had a Stien Dinse package shipped by DHS that way about a year ago and it took around 9 weeks. BTW I paid airfreight and DHL shipped surface and when I asked for a refund on the difference they just said "read the fine print" Sigh.

Ciao

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 02:30:18 PM »
Im waiting for a parcel from SMS and its been sitting in Frankfurt for 15 days without moving, been cleared and waiting for next international flight, DHL website says if it stops moving for more than 2 days to contact them and when you try to contact them the automated system says investigations cant take place until its been sitting for 4 weeks . I really need to find another planet to go to
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Offline guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 02:35:57 PM »
I reckon it would probably be quicker to row across the Pacific in a tinny and hitch-hike across the USA to buy it in person....
Then again with my luck I'd be stopped at the shop door for some reason or another!
Cheers Guzzler

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 02:46:18 PM »
USPS contacts overseas mail shipment to the airlines and commercial freight carriers.  At the moment there are "air freight capacity issues" that are related to the current reduction of airline service to Australia, and the cost of what freight service remains.  You can ship Priority Mail etc. because you're paying the extra costs (e.g. for DHL and FedEx under USPS contract) that wouldn't normally exist if other aircraft were flying unrestricted service in and out of Australia.

I recently paid US $80 to ship a small envelope to Australia.  It normally would have been about $15, and it took longer than the normal airmail shipment to get there.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 03:16:38 PM »
USPS contacts overseas mail shipment to the airlines and commercial freight carriers.  At the moment there are "air freight capacity issues" that are related to the current reduction of airline service to Australia, and the cost of what freight service remains.  You can ship Priority Mail etc. because you're paying the extra costs (e.g. for DHL and FedEx under USPS contract) that wouldn't normally exist if other aircraft were flying unrestricted service in and out of Australia.

I recently paid US $80 to ship a small envelope to Australia.  It normally would have been about $15, and it took longer than the normal airmail shipment to get there.

Yep. USPS has been pretty bad even before the latest issues, even within the US. I've had quite a few things shipped in the last 12 months and tracked it bouncing around the US for up to 2 weeks before it even got to international departures. just the times we are living in I guess.

Ciao

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 03:25:24 PM »
USPS service within the US is fairly fast and relatively inexpensive, particularly for Priority Mail which often gets you a package from across the country in two days without paying FedEx level pricing.  This remains the case, presumably because US domestic airline flights are ongoing at a comparatively normal volume.

Offline Kim H

• New Egg
    • MPH Cycles
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 04:05:21 PM »
I've had multiple requests to ship the MPH Starter Relay Kit to riders in Oz and have been unable to since September, 2021 due to this situation.  Only way to get it there at this time is via Priority Express at a cost of $78.00 for a 3oz package - ludicrous.   Thankfully our Aussie customers are patient.

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 07:13:18 PM »
Don't talk to me about USPS. Those F-weets cost me a bundle last year in post. I had a parcel with some engine parts sent to me, pistons, rings, rockers. First time they rejected it at the sorting facility saying engine parts were prohibited on airplanes and sent it back to sender. Unbeknown to me the sender posted it again and once more rejected at sort facility and sent back to sender saying it was to heavy (28lbs their max is 41lbs) we paid for 30lbs to be safe. Eventually sent it by FedEx at an exorbitant price, but at least I got it. I tried to get compensation for the 2 failed post attempts around $500 but because I was the receiver they didn't want to know about it. The sender tried and got nowhere.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 07:14:46 PM by stubbie »

Offline Old V7s

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 04:27:07 AM »
I get a bit of stuff from the States, I have found USP takes about 2 months to arrive, FedEx takes about 2 weeks, hang the expense I use FedEx.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 07:33:42 PM »
I get a bit of stuff from the States, I have found USP takes about 2 months to arrive, FedEx takes about 2 weeks, hang the expense I use FedEx.
Just received my package from Germany posted on the 3rd of December. Landed in Australia on the 27th of this month, so Australia post has performed well considering there was a weekend in there. DHS....well not so good. I make that 55 days for them Germany to Australia air freight. What is this the Eastern Front logistics chain.

Ciao 

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 08:23:14 AM »
 :boxing:
USPS DAMAGED the box containing my Triumph gas tank and fenders in 2021.
I had it insured for $1,000.
Lots of pictures provided and we only requested $250 for damages.
They wouldn't give up a red cent.
Shipper beware  :angry:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here