Author Topic: Spot going back together  (Read 6484 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Spot going back together
« on: May 01, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »
The Kid found his 94 Spot, unloved, laying on it's side in a barn. It had been involved in a low speed altercation, slid off the trailer and left in the barn to die. Naturally he decided it needed rescued. When he got it home, it wouldn't turn over. Grumbled and went to bed. The next day, he pulled a head and found the cylinder full of sunflower seeds.  :smiley: Somehow, the little boogers had apparently gotten in through the exhaust and an open exhaust valve. To make a epic story (kind of) short, he quickly got it running and found out the clutch was slipping and the transmission whining.  :shocked: As I've mentioned before, "Sometimes, free is too much."  :smiley:
Undaunted, he trailered it down to Indiana, and we replaced the clutch and rear main while we were at it. Then we tackled the transmission. Since I was an expert.. :rolleyes: .. (I had done the transmission on the Strada with tutorials from Pete and John Noble on this old tractor) he asked me if I would walk him through it. After we opened it up he said, "Oh, I see how this stuff works, what was I worried about?"  :smiley: We put in new gears, courtesy of Jim Barron, seals, replaced the plastic caged bearings, and shimmed the shift drum.
Also, from this site, a snippet from Pete on wheel removal:
, remove the rear wheel, (In and of itself a pain in the arse as I think it's the Sport 'C' that has the weird two part wheel spindle. The bevelbox is best disconnect from the torque rod and this will allow the wheel and box to be removed as one after the brake is out of the way. Keep an eye out for spacers and such, I seem to remember there are a few.
That was a mite of an understatement.
This was all BC. (Before Cancer)  :wink:
The Kid brought the freshly powder coated wheels down this weekend, and we made a roller out of it. Taking the rear wheel *off* was nothing compared to putting it back on and not scratching up that nice new paint.
 2016-05-01_10-00-03 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
I'd like to have that hour and a half back.  :smiley: Yeah, Pete was right, weird 2 piece driveshaft and spacers galore. There was a fair amount of head scratching involved. There is also all of 1/32" clearance between the wheel and U joint basket. Quite an affair, but we managed to overcome.
Here it was this morning, tied down and ready to head back to Wisconsin. It's going to be a beauty.  :thumb: :bike-037:
2016-05-01_09-58-30 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Why white wheels? Brad *likes* white wheels on red motorcycles.  :smiley: Daytonas had em, his red Duck had em..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:56:35 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Spot going back together
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
Looks like a great project.  The apple does not fall far...

Red gaiters would go well with those white wheels.   :evil:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:07:48 PM »
 :1: for white wheels on a red motorcycle. That oughta be a knockout. Is he going with the factory red or something a bit darker?
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »
Looks like a great project.  The apple does not fall far...

Red gaiters would go well with those white wheels.   :evil:

That's what Lucky Phil sez.. :smiley: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »
:1: for white wheels on a red motorcycle. That oughta be a knockout. Is he going with the factory red or something a bit darker?

Factory red, as far as I know. I haven't seen the bodywork.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 06:30:51 PM »
what if he forgot the red and painted it all white? STUNNING!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 06:45:57 PM »
Please keep this updated as it gets back together.

Yeah, sometimes free is too much... but sometimes it's about the doing the project, not the ROI. This is one of those times.

Spineframes look sooooo cool when they are stripped down to a rolling frame like that.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 06:58:02 PM »
Please keep this updated as it gets back together.

Yeah, sometimes free is too much... but sometimes it's about the doing the project, not the ROI. This is one of those times.

Spineframes look sooooo cool when they are stripped down to a rolling frame like that.

The ROI is, of course, the buzz you get from a job well done. Money ain't squat.  :smiley: And yes, this early Spot is very much cobbled together race bike looking when you give it a close look.  :thumb: Besides that, it personifies the engine and wheels thing that I really like.

Just talked to him about the body work. He has that all done.. most people don't realize how much prep work goes into painting a motorcycle. He's approved the 1100 spot decals, but his guy hasn't cut them yet. Still needed, paint, clear, apply decals, and clear again. He's shooting to have it done for the Illi noise rally.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:04:48 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »
what if he forgot the red and painted it all white? STUNNING!

Kip said it best.. "Pigment challenged.."  :smiley: Italian motorcycles gots to be red..
It *would* be stunning, though.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »
she looks really pretty.......nice bone structure.   :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 08:01:19 PM »
 WOOF , tail wagging , WOOF !

Dusty

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 08:38:38 PM »
I like it!  Please let us in on the rest as it takes shape. Those carbi  Sports are nice beasts.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »
You need 3 hands to put the rear wheel back on.  Guess how I know. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:29:25 PM »
That bike looks great in framework attire! I like the white touch on the wheels, that's going to look sharp.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
A well sorted Carb Sport is a wonderful thing in that totally uncivilised 'Dinosaur from another age' way. They roar and snort and feel dangerous! :evil:

Ask Mike the Mod about FCR flat slides for it. They will transform it. Just make sure you get the right decay springs for the accelerator pumps otherwise you'll find yourself sitting in a pool of petrol if the engine isn't running and some tool pulls the 'Go' handle! :grin:

Pete

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »
Chuck, Chuck, Chuck....its Pigment deficient!!

This was a new one for me. Hadn't seen one of these frames. Wondrous thing, to see that lump hanging by four bolts from that beam.

When I was an apprentice machinist, the swede I was learning from, who made his living creating ingenious ways to make small stamping and winding mechanisms, had a saying which he would proudly state at the conclusion of one of his device "reveals" in the shop. These were always those "but of course!" Sort of moments when we'd see the solutions he'd devise.

"Simple, but not obvious." Is what he'd say. It was his "mic drop" moment.

This was my thought looking at this bike. Looked darn near perfect. Nothing superfluous. I look forward to seeing it put back together.

Speaking of nothing superfluous...that extends to things like air!  You could barely put a feeler gauge between the drive shaft and the rim!!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:26:48 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 05:56:00 AM »
These were always those "but of course!" Sort of moments when we'd see the solutions he'd devise.

I worked for a tool room foreman as an apprentice sheet metal die maker that was like that. We would come across some mechanical problem that had everyone scratching their heads. He would look at it for a while, waller (Indiana term) his unlit cigar around a bit and say, "why don't you try"
It was generally one of those moments. Brilliant mechanic. RIP Jack.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 05:58:35 AM »
A well sorted Carb Sport is a wonderful thing in that totally uncivilised 'Dinosaur from another age' way. They roar and snort and feel dangerous! :evil:

Ask Mike the Mod about FCR flat slides for it. They will transform it. Just make sure you get the right decay springs for the accelerator pumps otherwise you'll find yourself sitting in a pool of petrol if the engine isn't running and some tool pulls the 'Go' handle! :grin:

Pete

Yeah, that's what he (and I) like about it.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »
Glad it's going back together as a Sport 1100, rather than chopped into some cafe creation.

Daytona 1000 and Sport 1100 are fantastic machines.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
One of those moments a LIKE button would be nice.  :laugh:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
Gadzoox that's a looker, already. A red lining on either side of those wheels and onlookers would be further dazzled by that extra care.  BTW: Who was that DA that started the all black thang.  If he can be found, have him shot. I've 3 red, 1 black bike all w/white wheels. A friend has a black Spot w/white wheels. Elegant, for sure.  R3~

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »
Gadzoox that's a looker, already. A red lining on either side of those wheels and onlookers would be further dazzled by that extra care.  BTW: Who was that DA that started the all black thang.  If he can be found, have him shot. I've 3 red, 1 black bike all w/white wheels. A friend has a black Spot w/white wheels. Elegant, for sure.  R3~

While I enjoy looking at white wheels, knowing how nasty the open driveshaft is on my Carb Sport, I am glad for my black wheels. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:15 PM »
'yep main reason why they went dark grey then black on wheels.  In defense of the white wheels,  they did design them so that they're easier to clean.  The pix show how the development of the Tonti frame to the Spine.  Drop the lower rails and stiffen the backbone and get the same results.

The Spots are such a good ride because of the heavy flywheel and a 5 speed trans.  The rider has to understand the 5 speed and use the throttle with it.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
Glad it's going back together as a Sport 1100, rather than chopped into some cafe creation.

Daytona 1000 and Sport 1100 are fantastic machines.

Have no fear, as somebody said, the nut hasn't fallen far from the tree.  :smiley: He's an antiquer, too, and wouldn't be cutting up a classic bike.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Craig in Alabama

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 08:51:51 PM »
Hey Chuck,
If he needs a set of original mufflers, I have a set that is like new that I took off my '95 Spot. Let me know.
I also have the mirrors and original airbox. That was my favorite bike ever. Killed by a jeep.

Cheers!
Craig
22 V85TT Travel
98 V11EV
05 Suzuki DL-650

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
Chuck,
Don't know how stock he wants to keep it, but I have some very nice, purty and new floating petal rotors that I would put in the post gratis for the many things you have done for me. I can send pics if interested.
Cheers my friend!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 07:10:48 AM »
Chuck,
Don't know how stock he wants to keep it, but I have some very nice, purty and new floating petal rotors that I would put in the post gratis for the many things you have done for me. I can send pics if interested.
Cheers my friend!

Wow! I'll put a bug in his ear. Pix would be kool.
Thanks, Jon..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
Craig, I would LOVE to buy the air box assembly from you!  My Spot has the K&N pods, and I want to return my bike to stock as possible.  If interested please PM me.

Jay
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

Offline Greenman

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
You need 3 hands to put the rear wheel back on.  Guess how I know.

I strap the rear trans to the swingarm, but even then it can take a minute on a good day, or an hour when things aren't going well.
I've been known to say words that haven't been invented yet when this happens.

D
DD
Sport 1100 carb

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here