Author Topic: Stereo eARC Question  (Read 1094 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Stereo eARC Question
« on: January 22, 2022, 06:26:25 PM »
You guys are tech savvy, so I could use some technical advice. I recently got a new Devon receiver and an LG TV. I wanted to use that eARC feature. So here's the deal, I have to go through some menus to set it up. But when I have it on, it takes over my stereo.

Sometimes, I'd like to mute my TV (cc) and listen to music. I can't seem to do that with the eARC function. It's so menu driven to link/delink it, very time consuming. So instead, I am using them independently where I just link the optical cable from the cable box to the receiver. But that means I have turn the TV and receiver on separately, and I can't merely mute my TV, the Mute Icon says on the screen, so have to turn the TV volume to "0".

It also means that I can't get my TV antenna programming sound to my receiver unless I can rig a connection with another optical and don't know if that would work.

Anyway. I set up my turntable, first time in years. I'm listening to Keith Jarret's "Backhand". It's a quartet, bass, drums, sax and piano. Never made it to CD. Someone gave me promo copy (1974), I guess he didn't like jazz. Great LP BTW.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Stereo eARC Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 07:42:30 AM »
It's a mystery to me.  I called the Geek Squad.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 10:13:20 AM »
It's a mystery to me.  I called the Geek Squad.

G

Did the Geek Squad answer?

I wrote LG an e-mail.  I'm tempted to take it back a get a larger tv anyway. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:05:48 PM »
I believe eARC is designed to provide the signal to control the amplifier.  So- if you have eARC enabled, it is going to automatically set the input. Part of the design spec is so that there needs be only one remote (or so I've read).  Can you change the input on the amp after you turn the TV/amp on?
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:05:48 PM »

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 09:47:27 PM »
I believe eARC is designed to provide the signal to control the amplifier.  So- if you have eARC enabled, it is going to automatically set the input. Part of the design spec is so that there needs be only one remote (or so I've read).  Can you change the input on the amp after you turn the TV/amp on?
[/b]

Only by disabling the eARC and using the Optical input directly from the cable box (and muting my TV).  As I had been doing before.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 09:52:07 PM »
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

It sorta confirms that there isn't a solution to separate the TV from the audio when hooked into eARC.  I'll see if LG has a work around.
John L 

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 09:54:43 PM »
Ah, well- I'm out as far as ideas then.  Sorry.  My amp is...uh...old school- it runs tubes.   My tv has eARC, which I run to my Sonos soundbar, and optical out to the main amp.  But I have to control my main amplifier with a different remote.  It does amuse me to run the sound out of my brand new Sony TV into a push-pull EL34 amp.  ;)  Well, that and the Sonos. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline LaMojo

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 04:52:31 PM »
So...when the TV is on the eARC prevents selection of inputs on your AV system?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 05:55:27 PM »
So...when the TV is on the eARC prevents selection of inputs on your AV system?

Yes.  I get locked out of hearing different audio vs TV.  It's one or the other.  I like the TV with muted with CC (for news or sports) but want my sound system play off my USB play lists.  I'm in the small minority.  I haven't heard from LG but the sales lady at Best Buy confirmed all this.  I took the TV back today but replaced with a larger one (65 in).  Same issue though.

Now my situation is even more subtle.  I can actually do it.  But when I need my TV to navigate my audio (like my USB playlists) then I get locked out.  There's a work around for that if I use the remote App on my smart phone but there's layers of menus.   And if it's a simple change like Phono, Tuner, CD, I can easily do that.  It's only playing music that I need the TV to navigate it. 

Bottom line, it can all be done.  The trade-off is more remote controls or learning multiple menus for fewer remotes.  For me, the former is easier and either option requires specific connections. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 06:43:16 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 07:14:54 AM »
Did the Geek Squad answer?

Yepper!  One hour and a couple hundred dollars later I was good to go.  Cable & CD/DVD player run thru the AV receiver.  I can watch the TV - audio thru the receiver or watch TV & listen to CD's or turn the TV off and listen to CD's or one of the Stingray commercial free music stations.
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 09:38:52 PM »
Yepper!  One hour and a couple hundred dollars later I was good to go.  Cable & CD/DVD player run thru the AV receiver.  I can watch the TV - audio thru the receiver or watch TV & listen to CD's or turn the TV off and listen to CD's or one of the Stingray commercial free music stations.

I could do all that before I wrote the question (I don't know about stingray but I have lots of internet and streaming stations on my TV, phone and AVR). 

I can also bluetooth music from my phone, cast video to my TV and AVR from my computer, play different audio in my house vs my patio, and remote control my AVR from my phone app.   I installed all that myself and didn't pay anyone <Guzzi content>  The video and audio is marvelous. 

But that wasn't what I was asking.  And I'm learning so far is what I'm asking can't be done with eARC without going through too many menus with my TV. 
John L 

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »
I could do all that before I wrote the question (I don't know about stingray but I have lots of internet and streaming stations on my TV, phone and AVR). 

I can also bluetooth music from my phone, cast video to my TV and AVR from my computer, play different audio in my house vs my patio, and remote control my AVR from my phone app.   I installed all that myself and didn't pay anyone <Guzzi content>  The video and audio is marvelous. 

But that wasn't what I was asking.  And I'm learning so far is what I'm asking can't be done with eARC without going through too many menus with my TV.

I'll just back away from the thread - my ignorance is showing.  I'm not even sure what an eARC is.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline LaMojo

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 07:21:04 PM »
Just curious, can you use your TV’s menus to go to the eARC HDMI input and have an option to switch to ARC instead of eARC? If you can, that setting would probably prevent your TV from locking out control of your AV system.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 08:12:09 PM »
Just curious, can you use your TV’s menus to go to the eARC HDMI input and have an option to switch to ARC instead of eARC? If you can, that setting would probably prevent your TV from locking out control of your AV system.

You're a step of head of me.  Just haven't gotten to around to it.  I was thinking about switching the cable to another "in" on my receiver.   But there's still the issue of cancelling my TV speakers or not and few menus to have to go through.  And is it still redundant to my current settings.

I don't mind using 2, 3 remotes + phone and computer.

Thanks for the suggestion.   :thumb:
John L 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 08:41:06 PM »
What a co-winky dinky  :thumb:   I just got a new DENON AVR-S54BT amp too  :grin:  I saw no mention of aARC however. The amp has Blue tube capabilities so we've been diggin' on youtube music videos and Pandora through the Ipad, also picked up a Yamaha sub that with the Klipch Heresy speaks and I'm rockin' the hizz'ouse  :thumb: :thumb:  Good news! it's cut my screen time down to just about NIL!!  :boozing:  cheers!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 09:18:01 PM »
What a co-winky dinky  :thumb:   I just got a new DENON AVR-S54BT amp too  :grin:  I saw no mention of aARC however. The amp has Blue tube capabilities so we've been diggin' on youtube music videos and Pandora through the Ipad, also picked up a Yamaha sub that with the Klipch Heresy speaks and I'm rockin' the hizz'ouse  :thumb: :thumb:  Good news! it's cut my screen time down to just about NIL!!  :boozing:  cheers!

:thumb: 

Try the Dr John channel on Pandora. 
John L 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2022, 06:36:31 AM »
:thumb: 

Try the Dr John channel on Pandora.

I will!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2022, 09:56:37 AM »
I will!

Perhaps everyone should mention their favorite Pandora channels?  It might be a great musical journey and open some doors?   

Of course no one's channels are the same.  I do believe Pandora looks at the other channels that you've subscribed, personal saved music files, and of course each user can do a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.  One time I was listening to something that I really liked and wanted to know who it was.  I picked up my phone and accidently hit the thumbs-down.  It ruined the channel.  Took me several weeks of working the thumbs until it finally was "fine tuned".  Regardless of that, for some reason I hear the same Tab Benoit song all the time on several stations- I didn't even know who he was.
John L 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2022, 10:29:55 AM »
Hey John, when I was hooking my system up I had a question and called Denon, I got a helpful English speaking dude. Open mon-fri           Oh check out Geoff Muldaur radio on Pandora  :thumb:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:31:21 AM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2022, 11:27:47 AM »
Thanks John.  I've been in touch with Denon support for other issues. 

I'll link up to Geoff on channels list.
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here