General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

79 G5 Build

<< < (17/22) > >>

Rick4003:
Hi Ben,

I have a domino throttle and a motogadget button set (m12 size). Frankly I dislike the system of having the right hand indicator switch on the right hand. I too thought that it was a neat system but have found it to be very annoying in actual use.
The best example is when you are accelerating out of a right hand corner, as when exiting a roundabout (left then quick right). Here you need to hold the throttle very stable to ride smoothly but at the same time you have to move your right hand off the throttle to reach the indicator button. Then back on the throttle to pull out of the roundabout. Then while accelerating out you again have to move your hand off the throttle to cancel the indicator.

I am working to change the indicator back to a three way toggle shift (on)-off-(on) on left side of the handlebar. If I had to use the buttons I would use two buttons on the left as indicators. (might take a while to get use to which one is which side though.) This way your right hand would be free to handle the throttle without having to reach over and indicate also.

-Ulrik

Scout63:
Thanks Ulrik. I was thinking of putting both switch sets on the left. It would look much cleaner.  More drilling and fishing.

Rick4003:
No problem.

I plan to stick with two buttons on the right, but change the indicator button to starter button and keep the top button as the mode button.
Also when you run the cables through the handlebars make sure that you deburr and round the inside edges of the holes the very best you can. Any kind of sharp corner will cut your wires over time.

-Ulrik

Scout63:
Hi Ulrik:

I moved both switches to the left side. I like the look better and they are easier to reach.  I did debur.  I also went a few sizes larger on holes to make routing easier. I found that if I lubed the wires with silicone grease they routed much more easily. I think my switch functions will be:

Top left - headlight
Top right - auxiliary
Middle left - left turn
Middle right - right turn
Bottom left - horn
Bottom right - starter

q

Rick4003:
Hi Ben,

Looks good, I believe you will be much happier with this setup than the other one. Button configuration also seems to be spot on. But that's always easy to say before you have ridden the bike for a while. At first I thought the right/left button indicator was fine.

Looking forward to see how it ends up. I also have an extra tonti frame, and all the parts needed apart from the seat and painted parts. Hopefully I will get around to build it up at some point  :azn:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version