General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1979 1000 SP project

(1/6) > >>

Brilig:
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the site.  I have a 1000 SP that I have owned for Thirty five years.  It has been in the shed for more than twenty years and it's time to get it back on the road.  The original owner was the service manager of a motorcycle dealership and he made the following modifications to the bike before I owned it:

Lester wheels.
Fork dampers from CX 100 Le Manns.
Dual spark plugs.
Fork brace.
BUB oil sump.
Chrome valve covers.

Modifications I made:

Straight intake manifolds and K&N filters.
Remove breather box and relocate electrics to this area.
BMW fairing
BMW handle bars
Sportster seats.
Harley exhaust pipes.

I admit it is a little butchered but I was young  :boozing:
My plan is to stop short of tearing down the engine at this time as it's running just fine and only has 41,000 on the clock. I will be rebuilding and replacing calipers, carbs, brake shoes, brake lines, wheel bearings, fork dampers, all the rotted rubber bushings, bumpers, and grommets.
Once I have it back together I hope to commute to work on it until I retire in a few years.  Then I will do the big restoration.
So here is my first question:
I want to replace the rubber lines inside the BUB sump and I am wondering what to use.  I already replaced these lines once almost thirty years ago and being in the dark ages before the internet I had to think on my own so I used 3/8 rubber fuel injection hose and hoped for the best.  That hose worked for over twenty five years and when I pulled the oil sump off yesterday those hoses looked just fine so it wasn't a bad choice.  What do you think I should use to replace those hoses?
I'll include a few pics.
Looking forward to everyone's advice.  I'm sure I'll need it.
Mark

ozarquebus:
I look forward to watching your progress. looks like a good bike.

radguzzi:

--- Quote from: Brilig on March 31, 2020, 02:13:12 PM ---

I admit it is a little butchered but I was young  :boozing:

--- End quote ---

:grin:  That is the best, we have all been there Mark.  Good on ya for bringing it back. 

I love SPs, I have owned three in fact my very first Guzzi was an '80 SP.  I also will not pass judgement on the Bub's Sump but best of luck with the hose replacement.

We will be watching the progress.

Welcome to the playground,
Rob

Brilig:
I have been going over some of the other rebuilds.  Very impressive!  I don't have a garage at this point in my life so I will be doing the rebuild in my workshop that is connected to my basement.  That means I have to be very careful with smelly chemicals  :thewife:.  Also that means this will be an outdoor bike and a daily driver so I won't be going crazy with the cosmetics. I was able to get a half decent finish using Dawn, some citrus degreaser, and a green scotchbrite pad.

This is the wire harness.  My handywork from thirty plus years ago.  The fuse block is under the seat, the relays and such are mounted to that 1/4" aluminum plate I made and the dual coils are because the first owner installed dual spark plugs.  I'll be refering to him (the original owner) as "Two Plug Tommy" from here on.

I made room for the electrics by eliminating the breather box and machining up a set of straight intake manifolds.  Having the carbs point straight back off the cylinders gives the engine a very bad-ass look that goes well with the Harley pipes.  I'll have to dig up some photos that show that.
Now that I am unemployed as of yesterday I am wishing I had pulled the trigger on that shopping basket full of goodies at MG Cycles :cry: but I don't dare spend a dime on the project for now :weiner: :whip2:.
So for now I'm off to the workshop to polish some aluminum and take more pictures.

Scout63:
Thanks for posting pics and a build thread.  Your bike has lovely bones and a good long history of your ownership.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version