General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Bernie's Budget Beast (SP1000)

<< < (10/15) > >>

berniebee:
Painting! Definitely not my area of expertise. But the paint on the tank is tired, a bit rusty and there's a shallow but noticeable dent on the left upper flank. The metal back fender is also rusty and the front plastic fender has chipping paint. One side cover doesn't have the same colour scheme as the rest of the bike.  I'm determined to DIY this bike as much as possible, so the garage is now a (spray can) paint shop.
With the advent of 2K clear in a can (Spraymax) It's possible to get a decent, hard wearing finish with rattle cans.  Not to show bike standards maybe, but that was never my goal.

Degrease/ wash all the parts and then remove the red/white striping on the tank and one side cover with a heat gun:

Then I notice Luigi at the factory left a short and curly under the paint: Uh. Oh well, that will sand off.

Finishing putty and sanding:

And again:

And again:

Except for the front fender every part required a bit of putty and sanding.
A couple of coats of filler/primer:

Careful sanding with #800 and then three coats of Duplicolor Toyota Deep Blue Pearl  (8P4): I love this colour and the white Moto Guzzi badges will really pop. Maybe some classic arcing white stripes too? We'll see.

combination emojis

It's really pretty good looking at this point.
I'll wait a week for the colour coat to harden and then apply two or three coats of 2K clear.

Pescatore:
Looking sharp.  :popcorn:

berniebee:
While the clear coat on the tank and other painted parts is curing...the fork seals came in, so time to reassemble the forks.
I am replacing the old, damaged dampers with slightly used ones, bought from a a WildGuzzi member. (Thanks Val!)

Below the old brass coloured dampers and the newer-ish dampers. Note how the threaded top caps are integral to the old dampers, but a separate piece on the new ones.

Stick a thin object through the rod hole and twist the spring around

Until the spring compresses enough to expose the rod's circlip

Remove the circlip

Then pull off the long and short springs and bits from the damper rod.

Loosen the nut so that you can separate the damper from the rod.

Then reverse all of this to assemble using the new damper.
The way I remember to orient seals is that the spring side always faces the liquid you are trying to keep from leaking out.

Start the seal replacement by pushing the fork slider down on to the seal

Then drive the seal home using a suitable driver. I used a 32mm 1/2" drive socket, but a 34 mm would be even better.

Slip the spring seat on to the spring end. Notice the projection along the top edge at about 5 o'clock.

Invert the rod and slip the slider on to it. Rotate the slider until the projection slips into the slider slot. You will feel a definite clunk as it drops in. Then thread and tighten the rod bolt into the bottom (The top, in this pic) of the slider.
Here I've already installed the small drain bolt with a new gasket. You can just see the head of that bolt, screwed into the right side at an angle, near the axle hole.

Slip the fork tube past the fork seal into the slider . I found that the seal lips were very prone to curling down as the fork tube slipped past. And staying that way. It took a few tries before the lips obeyed.

Clamping the fork to a suitable stand made adding the ATF easier.

WTF? 600ml is definitely not going to fit into this fork!

OH wait. 0.060 L is 60 ml. (Forehead slapping here.)
Anyway, after cleaning up the mess and pouring in the correct amount, the caps can be screwed on and the dust seals slid on.
 Two decent looking forks.

The fork caps are soft aluminum and as received were pretty scratched up and rough looking. About an hour with 100, then 320 sandpaper and a polishing wheel and they looked really nice. This done before before installing them, of course. Another shiny bit to catch my eye when I'm sitting on the bike!

Pescatore:
Good pictures.
About the seal that you drove in with socket... how did you remove the original seal?

berniebee:

--- Quote from: Pescatore on June 25, 2021, 09:41:35 AM ---Good pictures.
About the seal that you drove in with socket... how did you remove the original seal?

--- End quote ---

I don't remember specifically, but it was likely with the same orange handled automotive trim tool that I used to remove transmission seals and swing arm seals. You can see it in a couple of pics in this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version