Author Topic: BSA Mania...  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: BSA Mania...
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 03:49:49 AM »
2200 rpm at 60 mph?  It would never pull gearing like that except on dead level surface with a tail wind...

It did do it. The road was flat, don't know about the tail wind.

I know it would do 105mph in third (gearbox used to jump out of 4th until he fixed it) but I didn't actually see the revs.  All this assuming the rev counter and speedo were correct.  It was the 2nd fastest bike in the small city of 20,000 people.  The fastest was a 49 iron head Triumph owned by an engine reconditioner who topped NZ in the apprenticeship exams.  He attached an Ariel swingarm on the back of the Triumph frame and "warmed" the engine.  It sounded like a bucket of bolts but would lift the front at 70mph.  Legend said it would do about 130-135mph.  I was told recently that after 55 years he still has it.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 05:35:22 AM »
 Had a T140 that we adapted a Honda rear wheel to , oddly enough it didn't require much , the axle size from the Honda fit snugly into the swingarm slots . Honda employed small rear sprockets , and even the largest available was something like 6 teeth smaller than the Triumph sprocket , meaning the gearing was stupid tall . The engine was running a 3134 650 exhaust cam , a 2 into 1 exhaust , and electronic ignition , with a mild port job by Jerry Branch . It would in fact pull at 2,500 revs in 5th gear on fairly level ground , probably a true 65 MPH . Made for a smooth ride , even at 75 MPH it was not revving high . Lived in a rural area , never had to deal with traffic . It was a bit sluggish at low speeds , and was a little hard on clutches , but it did work on open roads .

Dusty

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2021, 06:18:43 AM »
I came to Brit bikes late.  After thirty years of airheads I bought a Commando project.  They are exactly as described- fragile, finicky and engineered by the romantic poets. But for going out for a burger or thrashing down a twisty road, they are the best.  I think that anyone with more than two bikes should own one.

but only if he desperately needs something to work on ,
i've still got mine , used it as daily transport when i was at the university.
but after a couple of years everything inside the engine had been changed at least once.
the norton engine was great when it was a 500,
by the time mine was built ( a 750 combat) the design was stretched way past its limits ,
the combination of poor engineering and shoddy production made them hopelessly unreliable.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2021, 07:59:12 AM »

It did do it. The road was flat, don't know about the tail wind.

I know it would do 105mph in third (gearbox used to jump out of 4th until he fixed it) but I didn't actually see the revs.  All this assuming the rev counter and speedo were correct.  It was the 2nd fastest bike in the small city of 20,000 people.  The fastest was a 49 iron head Triumph owned by an engine reconditioner who topped NZ in the apprenticeship exams.  He attached an Ariel swingarm on the back of the Triumph frame and "warmed" the engine.  It sounded like a bucket of bolts but would lift the front at 70mph.  Legend said it would do about 130-135mph.  I was told recently that after 55 years he still has it.
  lift the front end at 60 mph,135 mph . tall tales my friend...
I built a modified 650 Triumph for land speed racing. A naked frame production based bike. In 2016 at the Loring Maine 1-1/2 mile track it was electronically timed a 133.1 mph. It was the first production based 650 pushrod gas engine bike to exceed 130 mph at at any landspeed racing track...The bike made four more runs that day over 130 mph...The engine makes about 67 HP at the crankshaft ....

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:02:00 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2021, 07:59:12 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here