Author Topic: 79 G5 Build  (Read 11932 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 79 G5 Build
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2021, 07:56:54 PM »
I test fit the side covers and fitted the breather box.  I covered it with a section of inner tube to hopefully prevent any contact vibration. Sandblasted, painted and installed the sidecover mounting brackets. Thanks Charlie for the photos.

Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »
What a beautiful job coming together.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2021, 10:49:51 PM »
Tank and side covers fitted. It’s a little weird looking having G5 badges and T3 tank seat and bars.  I’ll stick with it a bit.

The fuel cap needs to be fettled, fuel light new installed, brake rebuilt and installed, gauges installed, throttle fixed and installed, front forks fettled, everything checked for tightness. Etc.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2021, 08:02:38 AM »
Great progress on the bike!

Isn't it strange how the breather box just sits on the two rubber hoses- no mounting bracket or tab so it can be secured to a frame tube. But I guess it works.  I'm off to buy hose clamps to install mine today.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2021, 08:02:38 AM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2021, 08:25:26 AM »
Great progress on the bike!

Isn't it strange how the breather box just sits on the two rubber hoses- no mounting bracket or tab so it can be secured to a frame tube. But I guess it works.  I'm off to buy hose clamps to install mine today.

Back around '70-'71 the Ambo breather box did have a bracket that secured it to one of the distributor bolts. On V700s, the fuel line crossover bolted to a stub on the top of the breather box.
Charlie

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2021, 09:12:46 PM »
Gauges and original switch.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »
 The gauges are the perfect combo of black print on a white face with a slim red pointer. And a just right sized digital display at the bottom. Beautiful!

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2021, 07:51:47 AM »
Thanks Berniebee. The gauges are really designed for single use so I’m having to split wires if I want info on both gauges. Once it’s set up I might try to water jet a custom plate. This one from MG is great for sorting but not quite what I want.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2021, 09:39:02 PM »
Slow progress. I have finished wiring the gauges.  Drilled the gauge plate to fit a mode button for each gauge at the bottom. Also installed led idiot lights for oil pressure, turn, alternator and high beam.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2021, 01:14:06 PM »
Almost done with this bike.  I had to tear it back to the flywheel since I installed the ring gear backwards. All that is left is installing a Dyna III, sorting the throttle cables and test firing and riding.

Groover - my apologies for the deviations. I have all the stock parts so I can bring it back to proper spec if necessary.

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2021, 01:28:43 PM »
That looks great, can't wait to hear your ride report  :boozing:
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2021, 02:33:44 PM »
All the modifications were approved earlier-on, you are in the clear  :azn:

The bike looks great, well done!

Quote from: Scout63 on Today at 02:14:06 PM
Groover - my apologies for the deviations. I have all the stock parts so I can bring it back to proper spec if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:34:10 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2021, 05:37:31 PM »
Looks great, super clean and classy bike  :thumb: :thumb:
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2021, 09:36:08 PM »
The Dyna III came in today.  Great instructions and easy install. More importantly a big fat spark. I custom built throttle cables for the Domino throttle, checked all the nuts and bolts and fueled it up. Here is the first start:

https://youtu.be/3FqY6K9jvZY

It ran great around the block a few times.  It was my first ride on a big block.  Very smooth and torquey and I instantly liked the heel toe shifter.  I’m really going to like the bike.

There is a lot of sorting to do and I need to install the front fender, retorque the heads, adjust the carbs etc.

I feel a little empty when I finish a project.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2021, 03:22:50 AM »
The Dyna III came in today.  Great instructions and easy install. More importantly a big fat spark. I custom built throttle cables for the Domino throttle, checked all the nuts and bolts and fueled it up. Here is the first start:

It ran great around the block a few times.  It was my first ride on a big block.  Very smooth and torquey and I instantly liked the heel toe shifter.  I’m really going to like the bike.

There is a lot of sorting to do and I need to install the front fender, retorque the heads, adjust the carbs etc.

Is it the quick pull double cable Domino throttle you have? I have that one two and found that it has a tendency to go out of sync after a while. I guess when you have two throttle cables moving back and forth every time you turn the bars they will creep a little bit. And never the same amount. I think I will go back to a single cable throttle and a splitter at some point.

"I feel a little empty when I finish a project." - You can always start a new one right away :grin: Or have several in the backlog, that's what I do. Then it feels great when one is finished, then on to the next one after!
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »
Is it the quick pull double cable Domino throttle you have? I have that one two and found that it has a tendency to go out of sync after a while. I guess when you have two throttle cables moving back and forth every time you turn the bars they will creep a little bit. And never the same amount. I think I will go back to a single cable throttle and a splitter at some point.

"I feel a little empty when I finish a project." - You can always start a new one right away :grin: Or have several in the backlog, that's what I do. Then it feels great when one is finished, then on to the next one after!
It is the quick pull Domino Rick.  It works fine now. I had to build custom cables for it, which will get old if it tends to break them. I use the stock cables and cut them back a bit and solder in the adjusters and nipples that fit the Domino.  I do have a very nice 1977 R100S and a 1973 SL125 waiting for restoration.  I usually take a few months and get some maintenance done on the running bikes. I also have most of the parts for a VW dune buggy build that I’ve been putting off.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2021, 07:08:51 AM »
It is the quick pull Domino Rick.  It works fine now. I had to build custom cables for it, which will get old if it tends to break them. I use the stock cables and cut them back a bit and solder in the adjusters and nipples that fit the Domino.  I do have a very nice 1977 R100S and a 1973 SL125 waiting for restoration.  I usually take a few months and get some maintenance done on the running bikes. I also have most of the parts for a VW dune buggy build that I’ve been putting off.

Then it should be the same as I have, It is a bit hard on the throttle hand even with light springs in the carbs. But I have kind of gotten used to it. I don't think about it much apart from really long rides.

I made my own cables to fit the throttle as well, I haven't had any problem with snapping the cables, but it tends to work itself out of synchronization after a while. But works fine other that that. Maybe it is only mine that does that.
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2021, 08:44:58 AM »

Well done, and congrats! Just did my first considerable mileage weekend on my '79. 687 miles over 4 days and one of those a very spirited 156 miles on Kentucky twisties. What wonderful machines, and mine's not 'fresh' like yours is. I imagine you're gonna love it. Cheers!
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2021, 07:00:48 AM »
Well done, and congrats! Just did my first considerable mileage weekend on my '79. 687 miles over 4 days and one of those a very spirited 156 miles on Kentucky twisties. What wonderful machines, and mine's not 'fresh' like yours is. I imagine you're gonna love it. Cheers!

Awesome.  :thumb: The G5 rocks..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2021, 05:08:24 PM »
Awesome.  :thumb: The G5 rocks..

Thanks and great ride Kidsmoke. I can’t wait for a long shakedown ride.   I’m still sorting. My list right now is:

Crab the frame AGAIN because I forgot to install the front gearbox oil seal and it’s leaking gearbox oil from the bell housing (DUH).
Sort the neutral and oil pressure idiot lights.
Figure out why the new reg/rec is not putting out voltage.
Install the front wheel speed sensor pickup.
Sort a rear drive oil leak.
Sort sticky front brake light switch.

All in all not a bad list.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here