Author Topic: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.  (Read 95849 times)

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Eldorado, Not all that Glitters is Gold.
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2018, 06:14:23 AM »
Looks really good with the finish on the brake plate. I have to steal that trick too for my alfa engine. Then it will also look almost new on the outside as it is all new on the inside :)

Agree with the over polished stuff. I think it makes it look too much like a show bike and not like a well taken care of bike that is meant for riding. It is also a pain in the butt to keep it looking that shiny. I like to ride the bikes and fix things, not polish and clean it all the time :)

I found out last week that the set of carbs they send me from HMB didn't have matched slides in and being a really old order, they can't will do anything  about it. I should have checked it when I got it. Still it is 50 euros for a new matching slide I could have been without. On the other hand with HMB, my buddy with a G5 ordered their sump spacer with external rear filter and it looked really good and well made. And he has not had any issues with the bike throwing up oil on high speed trips. Before fitting the spacer the bike would spit up oil out of the crankcase breather if he ran the bike faster than 120km/h for longer periods. After fitting the spacer he hasn't had any issues.

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2018, 05:00:44 AM »
Looks very interesting with the reed valve setup, can you explain a little more about it?

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2018, 03:48:29 AM »
That all looks very pretty, Les :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Les P

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 08:08:42 PM »
I got the box from HMB six weeks after paying, you know I sat it there and looked at for a bit before opening it.
All I can say is worse service ever, yep another screw up on the order and will have to phone them and post parts back to Germany at my expense once again.
No Moto Guzzi crankshaft grind this week,  but the 7/8" spiral reamer was in the mail box so I can machine a tool to do the camshaft bushes for the Norton and 1957 TR6.

What can I say...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 08:08:42 PM »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »
Deep breaths Les :sad:
Oz
04 Cali

Les P

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2018, 03:26:16 AM »
People must read these posts and either think whiner or have to be making this crap up.

After waiting months here is the billet M4 rear bearing, wait a minute that is the crap cast version that is not even listed on the HMB website.
Tried to phone them but no reply, yet another email and pictures sent, the engine case will need boring but to risky only having one cylinder.

Its like being in a comedy.

Les P

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2018, 03:58:06 AM »
A reply from HBM already.
I inquired to who is packing my orders and to ask them if I had done something wrong !!!  :grin:

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2018, 08:21:03 AM »

After waiting months here is the billet M4 rear bearing, wait a minute that is the crap cast version that is not even listed on the HMB website.

I've had zero issues with using the "crap cast" rear main bearings, I'm not sure what is really to be gained by using the fancy billet one.
Charlie

Les P

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 07:09:45 AM »
I had meant to add plenty are most likely out there with no problems, crap was perhaps a little harsh (They might be made in China these days)

I heard about the machined rear bearing/flange some time back (to match the front) and at that point I already had two of the cast rears from the same (US) retailer along with a non oil filter front. (The better M4 rear can be sold with the front later)

The HBM version is around US$24 more expensive than the cast version (MGC) and they say it will be a better fit in the engine case.
I notice they (HBM) do not list the cast rears on their website anymore.

Les P

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2018, 03:16:59 AM »
I almost forgot about that thread to the right, on an angle and imperial bolt it seems (certainly not M6 / 1)
Stainless inserts were a 200 km round trip, helicoils 8 kms so went that route.
The face of the mounting flange was a little sad so that got fly cut, a clean up tomorrow and the coils can be put in place.

Centre hole is 14 mm ID.
Threads are M6 / 1 mm pitch at 32 mm centres / centers.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:22:05 AM by Les P »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2018, 04:03:39 AM »
Lovely and clean, Les :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

Les P

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:35 AM »
Only way to travel.
Saturday is bore the engine case for the 88 mm cylinders.

Les P

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2018, 06:11:05 AM »
Side tracked as usual, waiting for a 24 volt planetary 60 rpm motor coming from Hong Kong.

I got back onto the final drive, I did receive the pinion shims from the vender who will remain nameless, ordered 0.1 mm shims and on checking them with a micrometer they are all 0.15 mm.
Decided to leave the shimming as is after checking it a few more times to be sure.
I made a new preload tool for the crown wheel.

The inner step in the cap is 12 mm deep.
Inner bore is a shade over 70 mm for a push fit. (iirc)
The gubbins that fit into the splined hub - 58 mm and 63 mm OD's, the step at the bottom is 4.5 mm high.
6 mm fasteners are drilled at a 48 mm PCD.
It could have been way more simple but didn't take long to make and works well.

I found the wire clips for the front forks so they can go together, new springs, bronze bushes and the 'better stanchions.
The design inside the forks is very British bike and is the same as my 1949 Sunbeam.
I wonder if anyone has adapted a 'Eddie Dow damper mod.

Google picture.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »
Les, you sure are committed :thumb: :thumb: :bow:
Oz
04 Cali

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »

The design inside the forks is very British bike and is the same as my 1949 Sunbeam.
I wonder if anyone has adapted a 'Eddie Dow damper mod.

Google picture.

I think "EnglandKev" on ADV Rider has proposed using something similar in Loop forks, but I don't know if he's done it. I'm planning to make something similar for my V700 "Tutto Terreno".
Charlie

Les P

« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
I decided to get a new ring and pinion along with a selection of the thick front pinion shims, 8 new bolts and locking plates for the outer bearing carrier placing the order around 11:00 am yesterday.
I was very surprised to hear the front door chime around 8:00 AM this morning and the courier dropping it off so it must have been on the plane yesterday afternoon to get to the other side of Australia and then be delivered by this morning.
10 out of 10  for Mario at Thunderbike Motorcycles over there in Perth / Western Australia.
It was great to speak to someone who not only enjoys what they are doing (You would think you are the only customer when you are on the phone also)  but delivers prompt and professional service :thumb: :thumb:

Les P

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2018, 06:33:04 PM »
The final drive was going well but the large 0.8 and 0.9 mm outer bearing carrier shims I have are to thin so I got on the phone to Stein-Dinse in Victoria to get a 1.1 and 1.2 mm.
The multiple shims on the pinion carrier to set the two tapered roller bearings seems odd so have elected to instead use a spare new 1.5 mm front pinion shim and have it surface ground to 1.38 mm after I grind the OD a little so it can not contact the roller cage.
I think the OEM inner spacer tube and one heavy shim will be better than multiple 0.15 mm shims.

The final drive will then be all new parts bar the alloy housings, it should last forever, maybe longer.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »
 Onya Les :thumb: :grin:
Oz
04 Cali

Offline tetarabra

• New Egg
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »
FPS on ...?  :wink:

Les P

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2018, 10:23:51 PM »
The perils of having a motorcycle in boxes and plastic containers etc for years,not to mention moving it (carefully) 1000 kms.
I lost the wire clips that go into the top of the fork lowers but then found them with some Norton bits.
Its so long ago I don't even remember the spacer 'shims that sat on top of the upper bush to be retained by the wire clips, maybe I will find them in the years ahead.

That shim comes in three sizes but seem to be NLA and if they were I don't think I need another surprise opening a box from the land of leather shorts and suspenders.
I will have to machine some, a check with a reunited clip installed revealed they will need to be 2.2 mm in depth.

I had also noticed on fiddling with the fork seal holders one did not seat fully, investigation found excess bronze in one spot had been left from fitting the upper portion to the lower back in 1973.
Some careful filing fixed that, you can see the bronze just below the thread, the O-ring should seal nicely now.

No the replacement cylinder is still not here and neither is the billet rear bearing promised weeks ago., at least they are consistent.

Les P

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2018, 12:17:34 AM »
I made some inquiries after contacting Stateside Bearings in Cooper Plains.
Left side bearing is the original 3205 out of the Eldorado, middle is a 3205 C3 14 balls per race with serpentine cage and fill slots (AU$35 each or US$25.74) and on the right is the HMB supplied FAG 9 ball version.
Maybe that modern version is not the one people have been using, the price seems to low (to me)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:00:00 PM by Les P »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2018, 09:05:40 AM »
Price for that bearing sounds about right, 123 Bearing sells an SKF brand bearing for a similarly low cost.
https://www.123bearing.com/bearing-3205-SKF.php
Charlie

Les P

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
Thanks Charlie.

Can it be true, after 8 months in total word from HMB that a B cylinder and the rear bearing will be dispatched.

A package from the USA arrived today with no fuss, dispatched (Iowa) promptly with excellent packing.
I guess it is easy for some venders.

I started on a quill power feed for the toy mill, the pressure will be on to get it done so it can be put to use boring the Moto Guzzi's engine case to suit the un-machined 88 mm cylinders.
I'm almost excited, Christmas is looming and SWMBO asked if the  Harper's rear seat (sitting on the shelf) will be comfortable.

Les P

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »

Les P

« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »
Very pretty Les :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
Jep looks really nice! Post up some more info on your mill! :) which type is it and are you setup with cnc?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Les P

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2018, 05:14:10 AM »
It a tilting head HM46 mill / drill (non CNC) standard they have 0.25mm backlash but that is easy to work around.
Quite a few of these have been converted to CNC and something on the cards for later. (CNC conversion)
The outer cover for this quill power feed took a day to make with the inner side having 5 pivot points and all done with a 8 mm ball nose cutter but the retaining cap screw and heavy washer that retains the rotary tables hand wheel is replaced with a machined spigot so a battery drill can be used to drive it as needed.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/M123

I adapted a power feed for the table cross travel which just needed an adapter to suit the table end to drive end of the feed unit.

Some old TL1000S projects.
http://s30.photobucket.com/user/manurewa/library/Clutch?sort=9&page=1

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/manurewa/library/Cover?sort=2&page=1

I found these video's on You Tube, more or less the same machine so am using them as the basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6aOlH5dYQ

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
Ah, that is Stefan Gotteswinther, have seen a lot of his videos! He does some nice work. Both his mill and lathes are Chinese made, but I believe he has some videos where he shows his modifications to make them better. The stuff he makes on them certainly doesn't look like anything out of China!

I have been toying with the idea of a mill of this type to convert to CNC, they seem like a decent starting point as they are fairly strong compared to a router setup.

I do still need to get a house first to put my stuff in, but hopefully that will happen within a years time [emoji16] I'll just have to find one with a workshop big enough to house my TOS milling machine and the lathe [emoji4]

The TOS is manual mill kneestyle like a Bridgeport, but larger and heavier built. Can't wait to get it up and running! :)

And can't wait to see further updates from your project too!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Les P

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2018, 05:01:45 AM »
Yes, that's the guy, the version he has looks to be the same but upgraded, a set of those alloy hand wheels arrived from the UK last week.
Very nice looking and quick UPS post.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/

These mill/drills are good for the cost but you really do need to go through them, most of the castings still have casting sand on the internal cavities etc so it needs to be removed.
They would be a viable CNC conversion and there are a few online blogs etc where they have been converted in detail.
Even in manual form you can turn out accurate work, the Chinese lathe is no exception but most of the jobs I do are alloy so they are not working that hard (deflection)

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/manurewa/library/1949%20Sunbeam%20S7%20Deluxe/Sunbeam%20S7%20Kubota%20Mod?sort=3&page=1

The quill power feed drive is pretty much done but once again have decided to put the Eldorado back on hold until this HMB Guzzi fiasco is concluded, it will be nine months on the 21st of this month, no replacement cylinder, no rear bearing as promised in August.
I simply can not understand how any company can not only have no integrity when they screw up (twice in a row) but be dishonest (have not only the parts back but keep your money also and care less)
Enough is enough for now ,if there is any progress on the Eldorado itself it will posted but at this stage apologise for wasting peoples time clicking on this non Moto Guzzi thread.  :laugh:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here