Author Topic: De-icer: unspeakable evil  (Read 11893 times)

JKnighten

De-icer: unspeakable evil
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
OMFG! I cleaned the crap out of my eldo after our NYD ride, but today when I pulled it out for a ride... corrosion everywhere. Valve covers, pulley cover, fins (heads and sump)... all effed up. I can't believe that crap is allowed on WA state highways. How is it better or more ecologically sound than rock salt?

Is there an anti-venom that I can apply to my bike after a ride through this stuff?

canuck750

Re: De-icer: unspeakable evil
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:33 PM »
ACF 50 - get it from aircraft maintenance supply stores, It has been tested many times in UK Bike mags ad consistently coms up way ahead of all other products, spray or wipe it on all the alloy and repeat once a year.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:08:13 PM »
Nice V-7 Sport motor I assume (tach drive timing cover with screw on exhaust ports).
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:17:34 PM »
http://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Remover-Comparison-Chart-W22.aspx

saw that Evapo Rust on TV.   Have no experience with any.  Let us know if you find one that works.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:17:34 PM »

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »
Folks here in the Midwest are learning the cost of using that "brine" anti-icing stuff on the highways.  It does help with the ice but suddenly, the cars and pickups are rusting much earlier in their life cycles than they used to!  Folks who know how it works say the only thing to do is head for the carwash after any trip in snowy weather, and be sure the underside is sprayed really well.
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:00:14 PM »
Holy Smokes!  :o That ACF stuff may be the cat's pajamas, but the pajamas must be gold-threaded silk-lined brocade trimmed with ermine!!!
http://www.amazon.ca/ACF50-Spray-anti-corrosion-m%C3%A9taux-bateaux/dp/B000P1C8UO  Way too pricey for me!

JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:06:27 PM »
  Just think about the jewels the pajamas protect when you pay the price.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »
Holy Smokes!  :o That ACF stuff may be the cat's pajamas, but the pajamas must be gold-threaded silk-lined brocade trimmed with ermine!!!
http://www.amazon.ca/ACF50-Spray-anti-corrosion-m%C3%A9taux-bateaux/dp/B000P1C8UO  Way too pricey for me!

JD

I paid just over $20.00 CDN for a spray can at a local aircraft supply shop.

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
A lot of people swearing by a lanolin base product called Fluid film up here. Haven't tried it but have seen it at Nappa auto parts. Made with sheep? Baaaa. 

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Folks here in the Midwest are learning the cost of using that "brine" anti-icing stuff on the highways.  It does help with the ice but suddenly, the cars and pickups are rusting much earlier in their life cycles than they used to!  Folks who know how it works say the only thing to do is head for the carwash after any trip in snowy weather, and be sure the underside is sprayed really well.

Deicing chemicals including rock salt have been used in NY and many northeast states since about 1950.. You can wash the underside once a day and the corrosion still creeps in. When I moved here in the 70's new vehicles ,especially Ford cars, had holes by the the third winter. The Japanese vehicles were totally gone in 5 years...It destroys bridges , roads and rusts the guard rails making the whole place look like a shit hole. And the runoff into the lakes affects the ecosystem. Vehicles have far better corrosion resistance in the last 15 years so the rust is less of an issue on vehicles kept for 8-10 years ...except for the braking system. But people just want to turn the icy cold winter into wet roads.....Thanks for listening... ;D

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Never fear.   A couple of folks will jump in and say that they've been driving in Northeastern salt and chemicals for X years and there's never a sign of corrosion on any of their vehicles.

You can use that experience and just not worry about it!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
Like Rough said, they salt the roads everytime a few flakes hit the ground. This place is located about 30 miles south of us. No shortage of road salt here. Thats why we don't ride in the winter. The cold can be dealt with but the salt dust gets in every connector and all the alloy and in a few weeks stuff stops working and your faced with a big job removing the corrosion.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:54:32 AM by PeteS »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »

I know it doesn't say, but I think that's for several cans.  I looked into it a few months ago because I wondered why some places were selling it for a "normal" price and some had a seemingly ridiculous price.  Clearly the guy who designed that ad isn't very good at his job.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Karl Von

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Classic Old Motorcycle Association
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
I was up in Omaha and could not believe all the newer cars that were rusted out around the fenders, especially Dodge trucks.  They had a report on the news that the city was switching to a Beet Juice de icier.  I also read where the FAA is making the airports use non corrosive de-icers, 

Moto

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
I got my 13oz spray can at aircraftspruce.com -- a good place in general for aircraft stuff. Current price is $12.50.

They have other sizes for prices ranging from $1.35 to $2320.00 (the convenient 205 liter / 50 gal. drum).

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »
I got my 13oz spray can at aircraftspruce.com -- a good place in general for aircraft stuff. Current price is $12.50.

They have other sizes for prices ranging from $1.35 to $2320.00 (the convenient 205 liter / 50 gal. drum).

Does the drum have a spray cap on it?

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 11:54:55 AM »
When I worled for MODoT i saw bridge I beams eaten clean through by calcium chloride. The state had to move up the replacement of the US 67 bridge over the MO River due to it.
MODot aso uses the bet juice solution but it also has salt in it. Salt is effective down to about 20 degrees or so. Then they have to sart using calcium/magnesium chloride. That's the stuff that makes the white dust on the roads. It is wicked stuff.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »
I cut up some sheet aluminum to 8x8" squares, sprayed with different products, ACF50, WD40, kerosene, whatever I had, tossed them on the dirt & sprayed salt water periodically to both sides for about a year. Most of the products retarded corrosion, there was so little difference between the ACF & WD that I couldn't justify it for my application. Not a controlled or scientific experiment but there you go.
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
I attribute the extravagant salt use to the majority of people not being able to take responsibility for their own behavior when it comes to operating a vehicle . Spend money on a set of dedicated winter tires? Modify my driving?
Yeah right. It's what I do but it's apparent most around here don't .
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »
Plastic parts ignore rust/corrosion.   ;D   for all you lovers of metal parts only.

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:21:18 PM by Dimples »
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »
WA DOT and Chelan County both use magnesium chloride de-icer on the east side of the mtns.  Stuff works great.  But yeah, it is highly corrosive.  County had to swap out to using plastic applicator nozzles as the metal ones corroded too quickly.  I've had to replace the brake discs and drums on my car because they were rusted out.

They've cut back on how often they use it.  It used to be that if there was a hint of frozen precipitation in the forecast, the roads would be slathered with it.  Now they wait until there will be a significant amount of snowfall before they spray.

First time I see the tell-tale wet stripes on the road in the late fall, the bikes get locked away until spring. 

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 12:16:16 AM »
OK, these products protect against future exposure.  Is there something which will remove existing damage which looks like water spots which regular finish care products won't remove from polished aluminum?
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 12:39:10 AM »
 Grease, pure 100% grease.  Elbow grease to be exact.  Applied with religious devotion.

EVDavid

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 03:34:41 AM »
I swear by FS365 manufactured by Scottoiler. Sprayed regularly over my EV with all the chrome and stainless spokes etc. has kept it in great condition.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 05:48:56 AM »
Plastic parts ignore rust/corrosion.   ;D   for all you lovers of metal parts only.

Yes, but, the sun, and time kill Plastic.

Where you live, the metal parts live forever.   Plastic, not-so-much.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 06:39:17 AM »
I attribute the extravagant salt use to the majority of people not being able to take responsibility for their own behavior when it comes to operating a vehicle . Spend money on a set of dedicated winter tires? Modify my driving?
Yeah right. It's what I do but it's apparent most around here don't .

This is the best post of the year. John said it all.
So many Yankees moved to Texas that are always in a rush, so now are roads get covered in salt at the first snowflake. Then the drivers can drive at 80 with 10 feet from the next car.

Tex

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 06:45:24 AM »
  Where I live we use sunshine to de-ice roads.  It is non corrosive but does fade paint and cause cancer.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 06:47:57 AM »
OMFG! I cleaned the crap out of my eldo after our NYD ride, but today when I pulled it out for a ride... corrosion everywhere. Valve covers, pulley cover, fins (heads and sump)... all effed up. I can't believe that crap is allowed on WA state highways. How is it better or more ecologically sound than rock salt?

Is there an anti-venom that I can apply to my bike after a ride through this stuff?

I've always chosen to only expose ONE of my bikes (usually the oldest and/or cheapest, sometimes a complete beater) to the winter salt.

But it was in the mid 00's when I realized just how much worse the deicer was.

I was using my Jackal as my winter "combat" commuter and after just one (or maybe two I forget) winters I went to check on my rear tire and literally POKED A HOLE THROUGH THE REAR FENDER WITH MY FINGER. It let to me completely redoing the bodywork and repainting the tank. The new bodywork was plastic, except the rear fender which I treated with 5-6 layers of rubber undercoating.

Once our area started using the evil brine solutions I noticed cars that had looked pristine under-hood for a decade turned to a white corrosion dust coated mess on all bare aluminum surfaces in just an additional winter or two.

With the Jackal gone my Sportster has become the winter go to ride, but even still I try to avoid it for a week or so after brine (until some melt and wash away).

Yes, it is evil....
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here