Author Topic: I may be having (did have) gall bladder surgery soon. What should I expect?  (Read 8698 times)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I may be having gall bladder surgery soon. What should I expect?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
Well, my gall bladder was removed Monday.

My discharge papers mentioned that I can't lift more than 25 lbs. for the next 6 weeks. I asked the nurse about that and she said I would be at risk for a hernia. I hadn't thought about it but that seems logical. I wish my surgeon had mentioned that when I met with him. I told him what I do for a living(which can require some heavy lifting) and I asked how long I would be out of work. He told me 1 week and then I could go back to work. That is what I told my boss and what he then planned for. Looks like I have to ask very specific questions as to what I can do when I have my follow up doctor visit.

Done laparoscopically? - risk of incisional hernia much less. Wonder if your discharge papers and RN's instructions were from the olden days of open cholecystectomies? Give your surgeon a call for clarification.
Glad it went well that you proceeded before that GB  got you into trouble.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
It was day surgery for me. I had stones and those caused a blockage. To wait was to threaten the pancreas. It was done laproscopically.

My only issue was that the bladder leaked or burst, or something while being removed, so I had to wear a tube that was stuck somewhere in my guts for a couple of weeks to make sure no infection was developing. The tube drained clear fluid, so there was no problem.

Taking out the tube was a sensation and a half. It felt like my scrotum was being pulled through my belly button.

I've been able to eat normally starting shortly after the healing. It's been about 3 years now. No issues.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
It's good to hear that all went well.  Had mine removed the same way exactly a year ago with no subsequent difficulties.  I also had gall stones but didn't know it until I had a persistent fever and wound up in the ER.  They didn't put any restrictions on me lifting anything over 20 some-odd pounds for a couple of weeks.  I'm able to eat anything that I ate before with no problems.  You'll be back to your old self in just a few weeks.
NO longer can ride

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
Glad to hear that it went well. 
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Wildguzzi.com

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
Thanks guys. I am glad the doctor could do the job with 4 little holes instead of filleting me open!
North Carolina

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
My mother had hers removed about 50 years ago.  IIRC, she was laid up for quite a while. They've come a long way since then.  ;-T
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:54:18 PM by twhitaker »
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here