Author Topic: Buyer's Guide for older MGs  (Read 2621 times)

Offline FarmYard

• New Egg
Buyer's Guide for older MGs
« on: January 20, 2023, 06:53:35 AM »

Hi,

I'm a new user here and would like some newbie advice.

I'm about to retire and would like a project to keep myself busy.

I've noticed that there are a number of older MGs here in Bavaria for reasonable prices.
Mostly V35 and V50. I'm wondering what one should watch for when looking for a bike.

Thanks

Steve

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
Re: Buyer's Guide for older MGs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 02:27:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum, FarmYard!

Your question is a little bit broad to answer easily. You can find a little bit of help in terms of which smallblock models to prefer in Mick Walker, Moto Guzzi Buyers Guide, from the early 1990s. Or in Guzziology by Dave Richardson.

Germany is swarming with Guzzi enthusiasts, from what I can tell. I don’t know contact information for German clubs and resources, but they’re there. So I think you are in a good spot for what you’d like to do.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 02:31:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum, FarmYard!

Your question is a little bit broad to answer easily. You can find a little bit of help in terms of which smallblock models to prefer in Mick Walker, Moto Guzzi Buyers Guide, from the early 1990s. Or in Guzziology by Dave Richardson.

Germany is swarming with Guzzi enthusiasts, from what I can tell. I don’t know contact information for German clubs and resources, but they’re there. So I think you are in a good spot for what you’d like to do.

Moto

Good feedback from Moto, and he is right about Guzzi enthusiasm in Germany. :thumb: :boozing: :cool:

Also, I would highly recommend you go visit these Guzzi dealers in your area and talk to them about Guzzi's in general, and what you are looking for...

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 05:07:43 PM »
Get a V50III.  Excellent for all round use. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 05:07:43 PM »

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 05:45:37 PM »
Don't retire and buy a Guzzi, you may want to work a bit longer to afford the aftermath.....   :evil: DonG

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 05:12:50 AM »
The Guzzi way - Buy low, sell lower but only after you dump a bunch of money and sweat equity into it.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline joe-dean

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 07:23:27 AM »
the only guzzi I did not loose my ass on was a green frame  1000S  made a nice profit. I regret selling but was to difficult to ride with clip-ons

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 11:23:32 AM »
I would first decide if I wanted carbs or fuel injection. If you want cabs then decide/divide by drum or disk brakes. Guzzi’s are pretty tough and very simple. With the models you listed I don’t think there is one glaring thing to say “don’t buy if”. As long as the engine and clutch don’t have major issues everything else is easy to get to or off to clean or tinker with.

Online pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 12:38:04 PM »
Well, the answer largely depends on more questions-

What is it you want to tinker with, and to what end? Restoration, buy & sell, garage fiddling; or will you ride it meaningfully? What is your budget? My experience with MG is that everything you can purchase is x3 the price of a Norton and not always available at any price. But though I love a Norton, I'd rarely uncover it to ride instead of the MG.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 05:54:33 AM »
like Tom says.. it sounds like a V50 mark 3 is what you want. It is the same running gear as the awesome but really scarce Monza with more upright ergonomics.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 10:11:33 AM »
Not to disagree with my more mechanically minded fellow Guzzi riders.  I'd recommend any of the V11 Tonti series bikes, AKA California series.  There is a good deal of these bikes available, cheap, with parts availability.  Enough power to get you down the road and customizable from cruiser to touring to vintage sports.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 04:02:16 PM »
^^^^^ Yes, if you aren't tied to the small block.. there are *many* variations of the big block Guzzi available. What do you want to do with it?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline FarmYard

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 03:42:56 AM »
Well, the answer largely depends on more questions-

What is it you want to tinker with, and to what end? Restoration, buy & sell, garage fiddling; or will you ride it meaningfully? What is your budget? My experience with MG is that everything you can purchase is x3 the price of a Norton and not always available at any price. But though I love a Norton, I'd rarely uncover it to ride instead of the MG.

I'm looking for something to ride and tinker around on. I don't have the time or inclination (or talent  :grin:) for restauration work. Something to fall in love with...something not so perfect as my Tracer with a bit more soul.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 03:45:47 AM by FarmYard »

Online pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 07:36:31 AM »
I'm looking for something to ride and tinker around on. I don't have the time or inclination (or talent  :grin:) for restauration work. Something to fall in love with...something not so perfect as my Tracer with a bit more soul.

I'll cosign LowRyter on this one, a nice used big block Tonti is cheap, reliable, customazable, and lovable. Regular service items and normal maintenance items are not cost prohibitive.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 03:56:57 PM »
A big block Tonti doesn't have to be a California or 1100.  They came in several versions and different engine sizes over 40 years.  There are lots of German parts sources as well.  The V11 series has triple disk brakes and fuel injection but looks a lot like a cruiser and will cruise all day at 80 mph.

Some folks say every motorcyclist should own a Harley at least once, I'd say every rider should at least have ridden a Guzzi.  (for the record I've ridden several Harleys but never owned one)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 03:59:14 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 10:08:52 PM »
I'm betting he's seeing a significant difference in price with the V35 and V50 vs the big blocks. Thus his interest.

-AJ

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:34:57 AM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 06:45:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum Farmyard. I believe that bikes find us.  Start looking around and see what you think is beautiful.  Then buy the best example you can afford.  Of the older Guzzis I like the v50 and the iron cylinder Tonti 1000s like the G5, SP and CX.  A T3 with the chrome bore cylinders upgraded is I think a perfect first MG.  The small block v50 is way more fun to ride at sensible speeds and sounds wonderful. Other than cylinders, all the usual issues for older bikes apply but the bikes are simple to work on. Parts availability in Western Europe seems to be excellent.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Luka020

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2023, 04:20:22 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was trying to find out whether it is advisable to open a new thread regarding a similar question, or post in an existing one, and I opted for the second option to avoid cluttering the forum.

Namely, I'm interested in buying a vintage Guzzi, specifically a V50 Monza (2 valve), and I'm looking for some advice.
I'd like to know how difficult is it to source parts for it, especially if you reside in Europe. I tried my best to do some research, and I've got the impression that parts for small blocks are more scarce than the parts for the big blocks. Nonetheless, I'm not interested in big block Guzzis (as much as I'm a fool for a Le Mans), because I have a sober impression of my riding skills, and consider them too heavy and too fast for me. I'm especially averse to heavy motorcycles, which is for me everything over 200kg wet weight. On the other hand, V50 in theory checks nearly every box of what I'm looking for in an ideal bike, although in practice, I never sat on one. If I go to look for one in Italy in spring and end up liking it, I'd like to know more about what it means to own one.

So far, it appears to me that it is comparatively more difficult to find parts for the clutch assembly, certain parts of the cylinder block, electrics, gearbox. I'm especially concerned about the clutch, as I got the impression that this is the Achilles's heel of the Guzzis, but I might be corrected in this by experienced mechanics. I haven't been able to find anything other than the clutch disc so far, and second hand clutch device and plate online.

This would be the first vintage motorcycle I own. I compared the market to what is available for other models that interest me - a BMW R65 Mono, which seems to still be well-supported - although at a premium - and Yamaha SR 500 - which is both well supported and much less expensive to own, but admittedly not awe-inspiring (and it's a single).

I know that my inquiry approaches the level of counseling, but I'll be happy if someone could give me a tip or two.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2023, 04:55:55 PM »
Teo Lamers in Nijmegen, Holland is good for parts.  Where are you located?  There are a number of small shops around the factory that deal in parts but they're harder to get a hold of.  Try Agostini's then ask if they know of other shops that handle parts for the V50.

V50 is a good choice.  It reminds me of a Triumph 650 Bonneville.  Light, maneuverable and good torque.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2023, 07:00:34 PM »
the only guzzi I did not loose my ass on was a green frame  1000S  made a nice profit. I regret selling but was to difficult to ride with clip-ons

I must be doing this all wrong. I’ve bought and sold more than a dozen Guzzi’s, and never lost a penny.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Luka020

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2023, 08:53:13 AM »
Teo Lamers in Nijmegen, Holland is good for parts.  Where are you located?  There are a number of small shops around the factory that deal in parts but they're harder to get a hold of.  Try Agostini's then ask if they know of other shops that handle parts for the V50.

V50 is a good choice.  It reminds me of a Triumph 650 Bonneville.  Light, maneuverable and good torque.   :thumb:

I looked up that web site, and find pretty much the same status as everywhere else. Some parts are simply not to be found, for instance, clutch parts.

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2023, 09:17:22 AM »
Buy one with a clutch that works then forget about it,might never fail.If it does you will find the parts somewhere.Or if size is the issue buy a 750 Breva or one of the newer 750 s.

Offline Luka020

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2023, 10:29:42 AM »
I mostly agree, but for the wearable parts. See here for the V35 (which should be similar).

https://www.motoricambiservice.com/organi-di-trasmissione/frizione/frizione-moto-guzzi-v-35-1977-1980-gu19084100-gu19082501-gu27084420-clutch_28460

Now, only the disc is available from what can be seen here as a new part, and I think I found a new spring somewhere too. Nonetheless, I should say that Italy is in my neighbourhood and I was planning to actually import a motorcycle from there. If that dramatically improves my situation as a potential owner, that'd be nice. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a decent example, as long as it meets my expectations. I honestly like the conception of the V50 way more than the R65, what with its carbs sticking out in the open and the wiring all over. But I think that the monolevers still have the OEM support too, let alone the aftermarket.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:30:25 AM by Luka020 »

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2023, 12:13:31 PM »
Get a V50III.  Excellent for all round use.

I concur! All day fun! V65 too.

66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2023, 12:14:52 PM »
Have you considered the V65 series.  At least the engine is larger in case you need to ride the Autostrada.   :shocked:  If not the V50 is better.  Just for the V50/V35.....No Autostrada.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 07:54:29 PM »
I'm with LowRyter and Pressureangle. The California series bikes are plentiful, cheap and are built like an anvil.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2023, 07:58:02 PM »

So, you like to tinker.

I suggest an older carbed model.

Much Tinkering with the ECU could get you in trouble.

Offline Luka020

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2023, 08:03:04 AM »
Have you considered the V65 series.  At least the engine is larger in case you need to ride the Autostrada.   :shocked:  If not the V50 is better.  Just for the V50/V35.....No Autostrada.

As I understand, V65 is a bored-out V50. I'd stick with the V50, it's really all I need in terms of power

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2023, 08:27:57 AM »
As I understand, V65 is a bored-out V50. I'd stick with the V50, it's really all I need in terms of power

The V65 has both a larger bore and longer stroke:
V50: 74 mm bore x 57 mm stroke
V65: 80 mm bore x 64 mm stroke

Charlie

Offline paulbricey

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »
I did V50 III rebuild during -. No problem getting most parts in UK & Europe (clutch central disc, new friction plate, steering bearings, seals for everything, bearings for gearbox, shift levers, used rear mudguard (metal from Mk2), ignition lock/steering lock, brake refurb kits, headlamp, rev counter, starter motor, digital ignition Dynatek, carb bits......). Only rocking horse sh*t item was seat and seat bases, I amazingly found one but sold it on as looked boring, & made my own from wood. Attached video gives some idea how easy to work on it is....later I put a V65 engine to make engine look bit bigger & because I had a spare one (just means had to keep V50 III gearbox & change clutch plate).

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtciqvJAt-nzoxDnoAn1gyv2xkd3?e=pCbYh4
Riding to live

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here