Author Topic: Annoying rattle 2013 Stone  (Read 1693 times)

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
Annoying rattle 2013 Stone
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »
The bike has 12k miles and a rattle has started in 2nd and 3rd gear when accelerating.It appears to be in the headlight/speedo area.I've taken the headlight apart and turnsignals.Can't find anything loose that's vibrating.I have not taken the tank off yet.All the wiring behind behind the headlight is secured and nothing else seems loose. Any Ideas?

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Annoying rattle 2013 Stone
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »
The headlight bucket is a particular pos on these bikes.

I was getting a rattle from my front end, primarily over bumps. I was adjusting the bucket one day after installing or removing a fly screen that utilized the bucket bolts when I realized there was play at the trim ring.

I removed the ring and headlight and realized I couldn't just tighten the play away. I wound up applying a thin layer of silicone gasket material between the headlight and trim ring and then reinstalled the assembly and the rattle was gone.

Might be worth a check.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »
my started developing after the 1st service...

to this day, I can't find the noise still so I just brap harder...

Nothing broken and loose... :boxing: but yes, that headlight is a POS...beautiful but not the best quality...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 05:33:23 AM »
Check header nut bolts that hold the pipes to the head?  They have a habit of loosening up.  Flange rattling?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 05:33:23 AM »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:02:14 AM »
My 2013 Stone has the same annoying rattle. But it definitely comes from the area around the headlight, not from the pipe nuts. Even after the fork upgrade (Mupo) the rattling is there. I think I will follow Kevs advice.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 06:16:02 AM »
I have an 04 Breva 750 that rattles around the headlight. I secured everything around there with cable ties and it made no difference.
I have only noticed it since I put a larger wind screen on it but it is not rubbing or contacting anywhere.
I am thinking that it may just amplify and direct the sound up to me more.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 06:51:16 AM »
Possible the gas tank is not secured?

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 08:02:31 AM »
Just a couple thoughts on how to locate the noise.

Are you able to get it to make noise when sitting still and running by running the rpm's up and down? If so, you can start to narrow it down. You can also put some electrical tape on the headlight ring just to see if the noise stops while riding. If that fixes it, do something more permanent.

If you can hear the noise when stationary as I described above, but cannot narrow it down, using a mechanics stethoscope will aid in pinpointing the noise.

Is there a chance something might have come loose inside the gauge bucket? Perhaps something going on in there.

John Henry 

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 08:42:27 AM »
Just a thought. You probably already looked. But the rubber mounts attatched your speedometer have a tendency to crack and separate from the metal bolts holding them in. They sometimes look like they are still attached in my limited experience. Helped with my rattle.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
The horns sometime rattle, especially the older ones with the chrome covers ('tho I don't think the Stone has those). A loose inner pipe in the headers rattles - the spot welds can break - but that rattles at idle as well. But only in 2nd & 3rd under thrust? I'd check the front wheel bearings just in case. Been there, done that, it was more than a rattle, but still couldn't isolate the cause - the bearing collapsed completely a few miles down the road.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:08 PM »
Front shock spring rattling inside tube.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
Mine will rattle when it is on the center stand in neutral around 2-2500RPM.
It sounds loudest when I put my ear at the 1/4" space between the top of the headlight and the bottom of the windshield.
It's not headers, wheel bearings or fork tubes.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
The headlight bucket is a particular pos on these bikes.

I was getting a rattle from my front end, primarily over bumps. I was adjusting the bucket one day after installing or removing a fly screen that utilized the bucket bolts when I realized there was play at the trim ring.

I removed the ring and headlight and realized I couldn't just tighten the play away. I wound up applying a thin layer of silicone gasket material between the headlight and trim ring and then reinstalled the assembly and the rattle was gone.

Might be worth a check.

Bringing this one up from the dead.

I've narrowed down a rattle/vibration at 3,000 rpm to my headlight. The chrome ring is loose and the screw on the left hand side is also loose. The whole thing feels like it's about to break.

Did you apply silicone, let it try and then re-assemble the light housing?   was it stuff in a tube or something that you could mold with your fingers? I might put electrical tape on mine for now as I'm worried about the headlamp falling out which wouldn't be very good at all.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 06:59:01 PM »
The headlight bucket is crap.  I tighten screws for a while, but eventually they vibrated and broke.  I wound up drilling three small holes in the ring and headlamp shell, and wired it securely with baling wire.   I have a small bikini fairing so you can’t see this repair. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 12:07:49 PM »
The headlight bucket is crap.  I tighten screws for a while, but eventually they vibrated and broke.  I wound up drilling three small holes in the ring and headlamp shell, and wired it securely with baling wire.   I have a small bikini fairing so you can’t see this repair.

I think I solved my rattling problem. I tighten up the single screw for the headlight and then put electrical tape and around the chrome retainer ring and headlight bucket in order to stop is slightly vibrating and keep moisture out. The retainer ring is now nice and tight and the tape doesn't look to bad at all and blends in well.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 12:51:15 PM »
I think I solved my rattling problem. I tighten up the single screw for the headlight and then put electrical tape and around the chrome retainer ring and headlight bucket in order to stop is slightly vibrating and keep moisture out. The retainer ring is now nice and tight and the tape doesn't look to bad at all and blends in well.

:thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 05:40:36 PM »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
Bringing this one up from the dead.

I've narrowed down a rattle/vibration at 3,000 rpm to my headlight. The chrome ring is loose and the screw on the left hand side is also loose. The whole thing feels like it's about to break.

Did you apply silicone, let it try and then re-assemble the light housing?   was it stuff in a tube or something that you could mold with your fingers? I might put electrical tape on mine for now as I'm worried about the headlamp falling out which wouldn't be very good at all.

Ohhhhhh sorry missed this earlier though I already saw you figured it out.

But for the record, I applied something from a tube and reassembled before it set.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 08:12:23 PM »
Ohhhhhh sorry missed this earlier though I already saw you figured it out.

But for the record, I applied something from a tube and reassembled before it set.

If I have problems going forward I'll try the same as you. For now, the electrical tape almost looks like a factory application and the headlight bezel feels very secure.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »
If I have problems going forward I'll try the same as you. For now, the electrical tape almost looks like a factory application and the headlight bezel feels very secure.

:thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here