Author Topic: Quota TPS setting problem. :(  (Read 777 times)

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
Quota TPS setting problem. :(
« on: April 09, 2021, 07:39:51 AM »
Well I just about have everything done on a new to me Quota......but setting the TPS. The flexi-cable for the idle adjustment does not do or change anything. I connected it to Guzzidiag and the throttle is stuck at 0.99 degrees and 234mv. I can screw the idle adjustment all the way in and out and nothing changes. I am wondering if I can use the screw in the picture? It has a mass of yellow sealant on it that makes me think it is some type of "sacred screw" but I do not think I have a choice if I want to set the TPS.

FWIW The bike has a bit of a misfire  or surge. It will accelerate smooth but holding a steady RPM really brings it out. It used to be worse at 5-7K RPM but when I set the TPS to 395mv at idle it changed. Now the roughness is from about 2-4K and above that it is smooth except when there is little to no load on the engine. New air & fuel pump, new plug wires (same caps). Rerouted CCV, canisterectomy and all oils changed.
Any ideas???? TIA
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

jwinwi

Re: Quota TPS setting problem. :(
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »
It's been a while since I owned a Quota so going from memory here... Do you know what version of ECU your bike has? Small white paper sticker on the ECU. Seems to me that the OH version was the one my bike came with and it ran TERRIBLY between 3000 and 4000 RPM. Got an OI version installed and rode it 12,000 smooth and trouble free miles after that. Never messed with the TPS...

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 06:55:17 PM »
I have the "01" sticker on the ECU. My understanding is that it is the updated version. But I have put on a Beetle map and that seems to have helped.......but I still want to get the TPS set correctly. But the directions I have read say to use the idle adjustment to close the throttle to 0.00 degrees. :( 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »
It has been so long. I don't remember problems with setting the tps on Quotas. The balance was another matter. I started drilling the plastic cover over the balance screw which tightened over a slot, a rpita. Long drill from the front sneaking between the cylinders and then a long screwdriver, usually but not always successful. I loved the way the Quotas ran when they were right.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 01:29:44 PM »
It has been so long. I don't remember problems with setting the tps on Quotas. The balance was another matter. I started drilling the plastic cover over the balance screw which tightened over a slot, a rpita. Long drill from the front sneaking between the cylinders and then a long screwdriver, usually but not always successful. I loved the way the Quotas ran when they were right.

Brian

Now that is a great idea. Yea that cover requires the gas tank to come off or I have just not figured out how to do it with it on yet.

Well a lot of searching and I have found that screw C is the lock for screw E - the TB balance. So that will not help me getting the throttle to 0.00 to set the TPS. But I think I am getting closer.   :grin:

2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline Bob Mehmen

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 12:16:37 AM »

Screw C is for balancing the butterflies. I took my throttle body off and balanced it on the bench using two drill bits. Still took an hour because there is nothing to hold it when you tighten the screw down. Screw E has to with adjusting the fast idle. Make sure that the air screw is screwed in tight. Some have tried to balance using it.

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 05:59:25 PM »
    Screw C is for balancing the butterflies. I took my throttle body off and balanced it on the bench using two drill bits. Still took an hour because there is nothing to hold it when you tighten the screw down. Screw E has to with adjusting the fast idle. Make sure that the air screw is screwed in tight. Some have tried to balance using it.

Yea I actually got the idle smoothed out nicely using the air screw. I really need to get the TPS set up good and keep that air screw closed. Seems like I am getting closer but in reality the rough spot just moves to a different spot in the RPM range. :(
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here