General Category > General Discussion

Bike to Bike Jumper Cables

(1/4) > >>

Kiwi_Roy:
I had to push my buddies Super Tenere yesterday as he had left the lights on while we had a beer, came out and he was down below 8 Volts.
At 75 I'm getting too old for that nonsense so when I got home I made a jumper cable to take advantage of the battery tender cables we both have.
I found an old 2 core electrical lead that looked like it could carry 10 Amps and fitted each end with M/F bullet connectors. The regular bullet connectors are quite a bit smaller than the ones fitted to a battery tender so I simply opened the male part out to make it a better fit and filed it with silicone, hopefully that will help it hold its shape. On one end i included an LED just because I could.
I typed out some instructions and slipped it in a baggie to throw in the bottom of his pannier, I'm sure we will never need it again but I did have to jumper him from my old Eldorado once before.
Of course I took the opportunity to rib him to make up for the times I've run out of gas.

Bike to Bike Jumper Cable
Connects the Battery Tender sockets of two bikes together, no crossover.
Incorporates a non polarity sensitive LED to display either end status.
Cable ends are interchangeable
Battery tender cable should have at least 20 Amp fuse as cable will carry
a heavy current if bike with flat battery is cranked. Plug bikes together
then run donor bike for several minutes to build up a charge in flat battery

Mike Tashjian:
The battery jumper cables are very practical and makes a very small footprint in a saddlebag.  But for someone who is prone to problems a better solution may be a battery jump pack that they can use without your intervention at all.  My son has encountered many people who need a jump in parking lots and they always have a set of cables to jump with.  The battery jumper box we gifted him touts the ability to jump almost any car with a battery not completely dead.  He has jumped many people who claimed that little thing won't start my car and it did.  Not as small a footprint as cables but being able to jump yourself might keep you from being stranded.   

Dirk_S:
I would be concerned with the wire thickness that the battery tender SAE lead uses. I was looking for an easier connection for my jumper pack about a year ago, and had read enough sources that stated the battery tender leads were too small for jumping.

A lot of jumper packs use an EC5 connector, and you can find those leads all over eBay and Amazon, which use heavier 12 gauge wire:

I now have both a Battery Tender (SAE) connector  and one of those EC5 leads on my bike. Maybe one day I’ll make a cable that connects to that EC5 and terminates into a pair of heavier rings, alligator clips, or something else in case I need to jump off someone’s battery.

Kiwi_Roy:
Dirk, Mike,
I think you may have got the wrong idea, i'm not trying to crank the bike over the SAE leads, its to put a charge into the battery, the bike battery then cranks the bike not unlike sticking it on the tender for an hour.
Trying to crank the bike directly via the tender cable just results in a blown fuse.
Perhaps I used the wrong title but you got the idea.
I think those little jumper boxes are great if you have one, I used an old electrical lead off an appliance, cost nothing. (Guzzi content)
I have started a car and bike using the generator capacity of my old loop and similar cable but only after its had a few minutes to transfer some charge.

SLDMRossi:
Of course, bike-to-bike requires...a second bike. Another alternative for the solo rider is a small, WeeGo 22S lithium-ion Jump Starter. It's not much bigger than a cell phone...

Steven Rossi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version