Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
A lot of folks make cafe racers out of California 1100s but they also lend themselves to conversion to a 'standard' bike as well.  Early 2000's can be had dirt cheap (I have a 2001 EV, 2001 Stone, and 1998 EV that I recently paid $3k for the bunch).  You get very reliable FI, great brakes and handling, a decent transmission, and an extremely dependable and easy to maintain engine.  Swap in an Eldorado or V7 tank, standard seat, and used or repro side panels of your choice and you could potentially reach your goal with minimum cash outlay or mechanical work
General Discussion / Re: How to remove EV ignition switch?
« Last post by John Croucher on Today at 11:17:58 AM »
Loosen the two top fork pinch screws. Take the screw out of the steering shaft, pull the top triple tree up and off with everything connected and turn over and lay on gas tank on a soft blanket.  Remove screws on bottom of switch. Take a picture so you know the correct order of the contacts.  Clean and re assembly.

If you have the time and/or money, a hybrid "Super Eldo" is your best bet. People have been adding better brakes, bigger engines, and better charging systems and suspensions to Loop Frame Guzzis since about the beginning. The parts needed and where to get them are scattered on WG and other web pages.  If you go down that path, start a new thread about building a "Super Eldo", and folks with that expertise will chime in. There is a section above on WG about building and restoring Guzzis.

Barring that, there are several Royal Enfield enthusiasts on these pages, and most of those who are not do not mind a little non Guzzi discussion.  :wink: I myself am waiting for a chance to see the 650 Shotgun when it hits my area. I think Enfields are hitting a homerun with their reliability, styling and pricing, but you didn't hear it from me...
General Discussion / Re: V85 valve adjustment gone wrong…
« Last post by 1wild1 on Today at 11:07:28 AM »
That’s going to be ok if you have concentric base circles on your cams, if not, you will meet trouble using that method.
What is so damn hard about just getting the damn thing to TDC on the compression stroke ?

You are literally in a thread about troubles with finding TDC and multiple people claiming to have done similar things. Just throwing it out there that there are other methods, even demonstrated by an official Moto Guzzi Dealer/mechanic.  Are there actually cams with non-concentric base circles.  I figure that would be a problem? adding tension to a valve when it's supposed to be closed would lead to burnt valves just like a valve that is to tightly adjusted. IDK , I'm just passing along info. 
Maybe consider the ... Nevada or Florida?  ...

Good advice. I gave the Nevada a go: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=120893.0

Red didn't do it, but I think a black one (provided I could find it) with bags (to hide much of the back end) and a screen would get close.
https://youtu.be/1Z8tagSbsKo?si=wCUqL7mVCAptl2Ql

Not sure if the Classic trim/paint scheme came to the US?
https://youtu.be/6lsbEgM_m5s?si=2mhGi5B-gM-SAtpc

Either way, any Nevada would still have the teardrop tank, as opposed to a flatter/more rectangular shape. So it's really more of a mini Cali.

The V7 is the right answer on so many fronts, that I will probably be able to come back around to the more UJM styling.
I’d say, given a small budget, learn to wrench first, THEN get a vintage carbureted bike that you will most likely need to do at least some work on if you buy it cheap.

My first bike was a ‘78 KZ400, bought in 2011. It needed various work. I was able to fix some things. I’m not a mechanic, but I do like to learn and do things myself. Still, because my knowledge of internal combustion engines was pretty nihl, I was chasing things and getting frustrated because I simply couldn’t fix ‘em with the little amount of resources I had. So it sat while I’d try one thing, take it out on the road, become encouraged that it ran better only to have it fail on me later. Sold the bike after a year.

Second/third bikes were Honda CX500s, bought about the same time, overlapping one another. Same deal—both could ride sporadically, but ultimately I was chasing stuff I wasn’t full aware of. Finally took the one to a mechanic, and the guy just spent forever on it—over 6 months—due to personal issues. Got to a point where I no longer wanted to deal with older bikes.

Bought a cheap Suzuki TU250 on a rebuilt title (famous, too—it was the bike used in the Cyclepedia manual for that model). Smaller engine and performance than I preferred, but so thankful I could actually put miles on a bike. Kept the TU for a little over a year before having the money saved up for my V7 II, which I’ve owned since 2017.

Over the years I’ve dove into reading, watching vids, and bugging folks smarter than me to catch up on knowledge. Then I bombed the engine—spun a big end bearing due to some heavy sidecar usage, and was left with a dilemma: scrap the bike or spit on these smooth artist hands of mine, slap ‘em together and say “well, let’s do some work.” So I rebuilt the engine with the help of the service manual, the Guzzi training videos uploaded to Greg Bender’s site, my dad (rebuilt a few engines himself), and folks on this forum. If I had the money, perhaps I would’ve scrapped the motor and bought another, but low funds can often allow you to be creative—however, if I was as poor and frustrated as I was in 2011-13, I would’ve either thrown in the towel with motorcycling, or the bike would’ve been sitting in the barn for even longer. It’s fixed now (I think…I do have a rattle issue that might be in the rocker assembly), but that’s because I was able to allocate the time and enough funds to completely focus on it.

Over the years, I’ve learned so much—and that engine rebuild really elevated my confidence and comfort level—that I bought a 70s bike again to actually replace the Guzzi. Parking it next to the Guzzi, I immediately felt like I was breaking up with a girlfriend. Decided to keep both, and I’m thankful that I did, because that BMW (bought cheap) has needed quite a bit of work to be road ready, 90% of which I did. I did hand it over to a former BMW tech to figure a couple nagging issues only because it started getting cold out (I don’t have a shed/garage to work in anymore). Thankfully no internal work yet, but I’ll be ready for it. And much more confident.

Some get cheap, old bikes, and they run well almost right out the gate. I consider those folks lucky.

Long story short—If your funds are low, you’ll either need a fair amount of knowledge AND/OR a fair amount of time.

MG just doesn't make anything along the lines of what you are looking for. I was in the same predicament a couple of years ago when my Audace got to be too much for me. I replaced it with a T120 Bonneville which I thought would fit my needs. After a few long trips I became aware that it wasn't doing the job for me and it wasn't a Guzzi. So even though it doesn't meet the type of bike you are or I was looking for I got a V100 last fall. I put some farkles on it to get it to touring levels. The main thing I did to make the ergonomics fit me better was add Rox risers to give me a more comfortable riding position. It is a lot lighter than it looks and is an extremely stable bike at walking speeds or less making it an easy bike for an old guy like me to ride with confidence. It also has more than enough power to do anything on the highway, like passing a couple of cars while going up a grade. I also have a V7lll but I wouldn't consider that a decent touring bike loaded with camping gear etc, as I am just short of 80 and it just isn't comfortable enough. I have toured the country on an R75/5 but that was quite a few decades ago so it can be done on a V7 but it depends on what you are willing to do. Don't get me wrong I really like my V7 but I wouldn't jump on it and go ride 500 miles tomorrow like I would on the Mandello. Good luck in your search.
kk
General Discussion / Re: MotoGP Sprint race…
« Last post by LowRyter on Today at 10:36:11 AM »
today's race was epic
Maybe consider the V-65C or Nevada or Florida?  Those are more like downsized versions of the early Eldorado.  However  anything with substantial mileage is likely to need a very full restoration project first.  Also, for unknown reasons, the V-65C we had got the worst fuel consumption of any Guzzi I've ever owned.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
General Discussion / Re: V85TT Air Filter/Air Box/Fine Dust Intrusion
« Last post by yrunvs on Today at 10:07:11 AM »
Thanks for that,    I'll keep an eye on my (new to me 2022 V85TT) air filter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here